RV insurance

Sunny&75

What have others done in order to get RV insurance when you have up fitted yourselves, and not by a professional up fitter? Our insurance company says it will be difficult since we are DIY's.

nutterbutter

2004 LTV Free Spirit T1N
What do you mean "RV" insurance?

Unless you get the government to reclassify your vehicle from a standard van to a class B motorhome, you don't technically own an RV. You own a van with a lot of stuff in it.

If you are trying to get your DIY work covered for loss/theft/fire, you've got a huge uphill battle, particularly since many DIY work sees very little upside in the resale market.

Montucky

I had to get an appraisal, submit comprehensive information on the work completed, and submit photos... But I was able to insure my DIY van for an agreed value through Safeco insurance company. It is still titled as a passenger van. I had no luck with the other big players like Progressive, etc. State farm was willing to insure it as an RV, but with high depreciation and not with agreed value coverage.

Sunny&75

Doesn't seem like a cut & dry proposition. Some people have said that "Progressive" has insured their van with very little inquiry, and other people say they didn't have much luck at all with them. I've heard similar reports with other insurance companies as well.

Sunny&75

I had to get an appraisal, submit comprehensive information on the work completed, and submit photos... But I was able to insure my DIY van for an agreed value through Safeco insurance company. It is still titled as a passenger van. I had no luck with the other big players like Progressive, etc. State farm was willing to insure it as an RV, but with high depreciation and not with agreed value coverage.
did you do the up fitting?

showkey

Doesn't seem like a cut & dry proposition. Some people have said that "Progressive" has insured their van with very little inquiry, and other people say they didn't have much luck at all with them. I've heard similar reports with other insurance companies as well.
But some people held back on the facts.............the $30k up-fit will be problem if there’s a claim, if there’s never a claim there will never be a problem with the value and up-fit. Same for use declaring use or mileage or days used or worse business use and RV use on weekends........RV vs daily use is huge issue on rates.

NBB

It’s like building your house with no permit and you violated all the building codes. Nobody is going to insure you for cheap, if at all. I just have normal comp on the van, it’s rather inexpensive, though not as cheap as RV insurance would have been. My super duper fancy build that I’d be crushed to lose is uninsured - but really I’m not worried, it would take a crazy accident to destroy the interior, for the rest it’s pretty much covered. Worst case the van is totaled and I strip out the interior and transfer it. Maybe. As a diy, you’re going to be faced with doing this either way.

This question keeps coming up and my response is the same. Contact a local state licensed auto appraisal service. They will come to you and take photos of all the additions with your equipment costs [no labor] You can take this document to your insurer and for minimal extra costs be covered should the worst happen.

An empty tin can by Kelleys Blue Book is a fraction of what your new appraisal can now be covered for. My coverage value was tripled from an empty van while my yearly rate went up to such a small amount it is insignificant. So worth the $375 it cost for the appraisal. The piece of mind is invaluable.

Shawn182

Know that even though some broker may sell you a "RV Policy" most carriers like Progressive have a very specific equipment list of what qualifies a vehicle to be considered an "RV" regardless of registration. Slapping a bed in a van does not make you an RV...so if you are going for RV insurance vs a stated value policy make sure you read the fine print of the policy to make sure your rig actually qualifies under the contract.

Most van conversions do not and you may be woefully underinsured when the time comes that you need it because some sales guy sold you that policy incorrectly.

Read the fine print.

Top Bottom