Sun Visor Mod For Rear View Camera

koenb

I installed a rear view camera on the flat forward section of headliner, right in between the sun visors. I soon found it impractical to flip the visor into the more forward position. So I figured i'd cut off the "ears" for a better fit. It isn't very pretty, but it's very functional. Process is pretty easy:

1. Eyeball how much to cut off.
2. Slit down the seam edges.
3. Peel back the vinyl cover, cut out the steel wire, cardboard, and epoxy.
4. Apply glue to areas to where the vinyl will fold over.
5. Stick down the edges and clean off the extra glue residue.

Attachments

marklg

What year is your vehicle? I have the rear view monitor in a similar location, but I can flip the sun visor pretty far forward. One problem is the monitor is on all the time so I can see the bike rack behind me and doesn't dim. At night, I flip the sun visor over it so it does not shine in my eyes.

Regards,

Mark

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Another option is to cut through the headliner and flush-mount the display.
I located mine behind the driver’s sun visor. By flipping the visor down half way I can view the monitor, or flip the visor up to hide it. (red straps hold a hammock, with the aft end attached to a bar at the C-pillar)

-dave

Attachments

Last edited:

koenb

Mark, I have a 06 NAFTA cargo van. That's interesting yours allows you to flip all the way forward. Perhaps the attachment base is longer? I haven't driven much at night yet since I got the van and the screen has adjustable brightness. Maybe in time I'll relocate to where natureman flush mounted his if night driving sucks. Though I intended to use this more as a rear view mirror while driving than a reverse only camera.

Dave, I like your mount location much better. I'm curious about your hammock setup. I want to put hammock attachments in my van for sleeping. How do the 2 forward anchors connect to hold the end of the hammock? Pictures?

Last edited:

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
The stock upper window frame has a couple of flat areas above the visor mounts. I used five 5/16” Grade 5 threaded inserts to fasten a bent-to-shape length of 1x1x1/8” square steel tubing above the window, then welded brackets to that and mounted a pair of graded eye bolts through the brackets. Then I sliced slots through the head liner for the edges of the eye bolts.

The aft cross bar at the C-frame is 2x2x3/16 sst, with four 5/16” bolts at each end threaded to inserts mounted through the upper wall beam. Cam lock cargo straps (not ratchets) are snugged tight between the eye bolts to support the outer edges of the canvas, with an arched strap sewn into the hem at each end to stretch it tight. The steel bar ends are beveled to match the frame angle and welded to end plates for bolting. Two more hammocks run to the back doors, held by a second cross beam just forward of the rear door frame. Rope is sewn into the sides and stretched between the cross members, then lacing stretches the fabric lengthwise.

My wife and I (we’re both about 6’ tall) have ample head room under the forward hammock while driving, so even though it was designed to be quickly removed we normally leave it up during road trips. We can also sit up on the queen-sized bed below the aft hammocks. Our three children share the wide (normally 4th row) 3-seat bench, then sleep up in “the attic”. An 18” deep cargo drawer runs under the full 80” length of the bed, and is deep and wide enough to fit five carry-on sized suitcases on edge, leaving ample room for water jugs, cooler, camp kitchen, etc. We stow folding umbrella chairs behind the second row bench seat. Bedding stays in the hammocks while driving. A 100 amp hour deep cycle battery runs LED strip lighting and a Fan-tastic roof vent with rain sensor.

-dave

Attachments

Last edited:

My monitor may be smaller than yours. It is above the rearview mirror, and the sun visors don't touch it.

Mark
So this is turning into yet another who's is bigger discussion?

Sorry. Back to topic.

:cheers: vic

The picture showing the MB filler design/material selection in the sun visors was good to know. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Top Bottom