Rear Heater

jaycowan

Hello all, I don't know of this has been discussed already, but I am wondering how to heat the rear of the van overnight in the winter?
I am able to plug it in, and the back is insulated and carpeted. I cannot have my materials freeze, and I don't want to keep it in my warehouse overnight as its not that close by!
Has someone figured out the best way to do this efficiently? I was wondering about wiring a plug below the filler cap area so I can plug directly in with all the doors closed?
Any help would be great!
Thanks
Jay

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
A plug in oil filled radiator type space heater is probably the safest bet. You could just run an extension cord out the back door or could certainly install a 120v port into the exterior of the van

BritzSprinter

Ex Britz 313CDI Motorhome
Eberspacher or Webasto diesel heater might be an option, they use very little fuel and are thermostatically controlled.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I use one of the roll-around oil-filled radiators that BrennWagon mentions ... and i have a flat 6-foot (2 meter) extension cord that i run out through the edge or bottom of the front door's seam.
(i have a T1N, so an NCV3 fitment might differ).

At roughly freezing (or a little below), having the radiator set to "3" (out of 10) and only using the 600 watt setting keeps us at 55 F about 2 feet off the floor.

Other differences: i have a 118" wheelbase, so my cargo area is only 8 feet long (i have only a thin curtain as a "barrier" from the front cab). Total cargo-area volume about 200 cubic feet. Uninsulated glass windows all around.
A longer wheelbase will have a proportionally greater volume you're trying to keep warm.

The radiator can be seen in the background of this shot, cowering under the microwave:

radiator.jpg

--dick

Last edited:

Top Bottom