Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Airstream > Sprinter Westfalia

Old 07-05-2018, 01:10 AM   #11
Lauryn

Default Re: AC unit on Airstream Westfalia

I recently sold my Bambi and was interested in a Westfalia, but contacted my local dealer to ask about things to watch for, and they forewarned me about this problem and said to be very careful, as once the AC goes, the camper would need a complete overhaul and conversion to 110v. So, I'm wondring if there are any realistic workarounds for people in hot climates that depend on the ac to run reliably when the heat index feels like 106.

Also curious how well westy owners have been doing with their sprinters in general. Since I can't really find what I need, I may contract out a custom, and the van is the very foundation, so I'd appreciate some Sprinter owner feedback. If you're in this group, your Sprinter is likely older, and I need to buy used to be able to afford this.
Lauryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:50 AM   #12
OldWest
T1N Westfalia

Default Re: AC unit on Airstream Westfalia

Find a new dealer.

The Westfalia already has 110v shorepower hookup, with a 110v circuit breakers board, 110v outlets, 110v battery charger/converter, as well as 12v circuits for lights, fresh water tank pump, motorized skylight, cooktop exhaust fan, etc.

The original Kerstner air conditioner was designed as a 12v unit to run off (i) alternator, (ii) 110 v shorepower which runs two Meanwell converters inputting 110v and outputting 12v for the air conditioner, and (iii) Airstream installed propane Onan generator supplying 110v to the Meanwell converters.

Folks have replaced the original unit with hard to source parts with an American market 110v unit as seen on this and other threads.
OldWest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldWest For This Useful Post:
BellaMarSpirits (07-06-2018)