Incredible deal from AT&T - Unlimited data for $20/month

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
Just fyi I want to mention the unbelievable AT&T Wireless 'Connected Car' promotion which provides unlimited LTE data for only $20/month, and you do not need to be an existing AT&T customer to obtain it. The only catch is that the only equipment supported is the ZTE Mobley (a hotspot that connects to any vehicle's OBDII port), but since all the device needs from the OBDII port is power it's easy to power them in any number of ways, including from USB. Mobleys (ZTE VM6200) will also work as a cellular USB modem with routers. The response has been enormous (I mean, $20 for unlimited data on the AT&T postpaid network??? WTF). These are perfect an RV or anyone on the road or even emergency backup for home. Also many have reported that once activated in a Mobley you can move the SIM to whatever device you want, AT&T doesn't seem to be doing any IMEI verification beyond initial activation (for now.)

Currently both AT&T and Best Buy are out of stock on the Mobleys but it's worth checking until you find one, once service is activated you will almost certainly be grandfathered at the $20 rate after the promotion ends. You need to check frequently because when they become available they are all gone within a day or two as people are buying them up and then selling on Ebay for 3-4X list price. It's a limited time promotion but it's unclear when it will end. I have no idea why they are offering a deal like this but I wouldn't expect it to last long.

You can order online or an AT&T store or Best Buy (again, only if they have a unit in stock.) Make sure you specify the 'Connected Car Standalone' plan as not all reps are aware of it. There is also a dedicated line at AT&T for the program at 866-595-1222. The Mobley hardware is $99 or free with a 2-year commitment (although AT&T socks the 2-years plans with a $45 activation fee while there is no activation fee if you purchase the unit outright.)

Ordering online is very easy ( https://www.att.com/devices/zte/mobley.html#sku=sku7700323 ) but you will need to wait until more Mobleys are available before the system will take your order. If you call AT&T they say that more will be available 'soon'.

Last edited:

smiller

Fyi, just noticed that the Mobleys are now showing back in stock at AT&T, but I doubt they will last for long.

pfflyer

Anyone have both AT&T and Verizon service? Is the service area about the same for both now? I have AT&T phones but I was thinking of going with a Verizon Hot Spot device thinking I would have more of a chance getting a good signal with both. I was traveling for work with another Rep and he had Verizon and most of the time when one of us had no service the other did but that was 7-8 years ago and I am sure things are better now but I am not sure.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Anyone have both AT&T and Verizon service? Is the service area about the same for both now? I have AT&T phones but I was thinking of going with a Verizon Hot Spot device thinking I would have more of a chance getting a good signal with both. I was traveling for work with another Rep and he had Verizon and most of the time when one of us had no service the other did but that was 7-8 years ago and I am sure things are better now but I am not sure.
We have both. We have always made a point of DW and I having different carriers to maximize probability of service. Sometimes one works, sometimes the other. Historically, Verizon was much more likely to be the one that worked. Difference is narrowing. Getting harder to tell the difference.

smiller

We have both. We have always made a point of DW and I having different carriers to maximize probability of service. Sometimes one works, sometimes the other. Historically, Verizon was much more likely to be the one that worked. Difference is narrowing. Getting harder to tell the difference.
Yep, 7-8 years is an eternity in the wireless industry and the differences are ever-narrowing. We (wife and I) also use different carriers for diversity and as above, getting hard to tell much of a difference anymore.

But in the most general terms... Verizon is usually the best when it comes to extreme rural coverage with AT&T a close second, except sometimes the situation can be reversed as it is entirely dependent on where you are. In my experience AT&T is a usable substitute for Verizon most of the time, but that's not to say that it's impossible to find some place with Verizon service and not AT&T (and, as above, the opposite can also be true.) You will get endless anecdotal reports though and they will be all over the place, take all with a grain of salt.

T-Mobile is going to be making a mark soon too... they have in the past been hamstrung when it comes to rural coverage by lack of both licenses and low-band spectrum, but they just spent $8 billion (with a 'b') on the recent 600 MHz auction and now have low-band spectrum nationwide. It will be 12-24 months before much of it is built out but then watch out... they should eventually very competitive with the big two and always good to have completion, in fact while many like to hate on T-Mo they are singularly responsible for Verizon and AT&T providing much better terms and rates recently.

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Just for chuckles: in Idaho (at least southern), T-Mobile calls are serviced by AT&T. In Montana they're not serviced by anyone.

--dick (Verizon/T-Mobile)

camillo

Someone asked if the car has to be running to use the mobley. here's the answer:

ATT Mobility Care Team
· a year ago
Hi smc200-

Great question, thank you for posting! I researched this and found that it will require that there be power (key being in accessory mode at the least) being provided to the ZTE Mobley in order for it to turn on and broadcast a wifi signal to connect to you. Check out http://www.manualslib.com/manual/962502/Zte-Mobley.html for the user’s manual.

Hope this helps! -JP, AT&T Social Media Manager

smiller

Just for chuckles: in Idaho (at least southern), T-Mobile calls are serviced by AT&T. In Montana they're not serviced by anyone.
Yes, in much of the intermountain west T-Mobile has no service. But as per my comments above they now have prime low-band spectrum nationwide so that situation will probably change in a big way. Who knows what their priorities for the rollout will be though, I'm guessing it will be based on potential for revenue generation so I doubt Bumf..k, MT will be first in line.

smiller

Someone asked if the car has to be running to use the mobley. here's the answer:

ATT Mobility Care Team
· a year ago
Hi smc200-

Great question, thank you for posting! I researched this and found that it will require that there be power (key being in accessory mode at the least) being provided to the ZTE Mobley in order for it to turn on and broadcast a wifi signal to connect to you. Check out http://www.manualslib.com/manual/962502/Zte-Mobley.html for the user’s manual.

Hope this helps! -JP, AT&T Social Media Manager
If the Mobley is placed in the ODBII port then power will depend on the OBDII port, but I think most people are simply powering them directly off of 12 VDC with a female OBDII connector pigtail (about $8) and of course in that case there is no dependency on the key being in any particular position. There are also adapters on Amazon and Ebay with a built-in DC-DC converter so the Mobley can be run off of a USB port.

Last edited:

lindenengineering

Well maybe off topic BUT !!
My incredible deal last week was a 2008 Sprinter engine and transmission out of a wreck for $2500 !!
With 102,000 miles on it even though I had to pull it, it was a steal!
Dennis

smiller

smiller
So you could power it with an adapter and use it at home for internet service?
Yes. Probably not exactly what AT&T had in mind but as long as you weren't too abusive I doubt you'd have any problems.

Last edited:

noercarr

If the Mobley is placed in the ODBII port then power will depend on the OBDII port, but I think most people are simply powering them directly off of 12 VDC with a female OBDII connector pigtail (about $8) and of course in that case there is no dependency on the key being in any particular position. There are also adapters on Amazon and Ebay with a built-in DC-DC converter so the Mobley can be run off of a USB port.

Links to adapters?

smiller

How sophisticated is their monitoring? It wouldn't take much for them to notice that all of your data was hitting only one tower.
They could potentially monitor just about any aspect of usage of any device but typically they don't bother, just not worth the effort to them. They do say that you can be 'de-prioritized' (speed throttled) after 23 GB of usage in one month if the tower you are using at a given moment is heavily loaded with other users (this kind of language is in every unlimited service plan from any carrier), but so far they don't even seem to be enforcing that.

Links to adapters?
The USB power adapter I'm using is linked below. If you don't need to power from USB then you can use an inexpensive OBDII connector pigtail and just connect to any 12-volt source (all you need to do is connect +12 volts and ground on the connector, ODBII pinout diagrams are easily available via Google.) If you want to USB power do not simply connect a USB plug and OBDII connector together though, USB provides only 5 volts so if you want to use USB for power you need a DC-DC converter as well and that is built into the commercial offerings.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07144ZVRP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/Aupoko-OBD-I.../B06XYP9P91/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8

Last edited:

pfflyer

Maybe Verizon will follow the lead and offer a similar deal. A quick search on Verizon's site looks like $80 for unlimited but no OBDII connection needed.

smiller

As above, the Mobley device doesn't need anything from the OBDII connection but power, so an OBDII port isn't required.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
If you gave a Verizon smartphone you already have unlimited data built into your monthly plan why buy another device?
If your Verizon plan doesn't provide "hot spot" connectivity to your other devices (laptop, etc), then the AT&T/Mobley becomes useful.

--dick

Top Bottom