" howling? " Espar Repairs in Place

trc.rhubarb

Re: Espar howling?

Hijack alert! Since this issue seems resolved.

Any tricks for jumpering/test firing the standard heater booster model?
Mine doesn't seem to even start a self-check and the engine has to be running but then the coolant temp gets up quick enough that it wouldn't fire anyhow.
I'd like to get it working for travel into the mountains in the winter and eventually do the full blown mod to let it run without the engine.
Meanwhile, is there a test mode or something I can use?

If your plan is to use my simple DPDT switch mod my recommendation is that you do that sooner rather than later. It is just so much easier to hear the Espar operation and do testing without the engine noise and vibration.

:2cents: vic

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..

tR: I’m in your area with a mbz star C3 computer, can interrogate the hz Espar control module, and can tell you what’s wrong with it (keep in mind many have an overheated control module and the cm either needs to be scrapped or de-potted and there's a chip (I believe mosfet) needing to be reflowed). I’ve also done the modification on a few different rigs and would be happy to share my experiences (there are several approaches depending on your use-requirements). Pm me if interested.

VinceP

2005 158" High Roof Pass.
Patrick,

my Espar hasn't work for 5+ Years. And my van was in the Quebec winter all its life. I absolutely want the Espar to work this winter. Any advice you have? The 7-day Timer goes to "120" when the start button is pressed, I hear a relay clicks, the cabin fan goes into "1" speed, and then after 3-4 seconds, everything shuts off, but the "120" and the "bacon" sign remanis on the timer display. It is obvious that my heater is seized in some way, but I would like to try to revive it.

I would love to see how yours work (What is the starting sequence, etc.)

let me know

Vince

Top Bottom