Any opinions on 2017 Sprinter vs 2017 Ford Transit Diesel

trevor68

I currently own 4 sprinters, but I am curious about the Ford Transit Diesel. Has anyone analyzed the differences? What was your conclusion?
This would be driven about 60 miles a day in city traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sleeper bird

everyone that i know that has a modern new diesel is having some sort of issue,dodge,ford,mercedes.Dont know anyone with a new chevy diesel,mostly pollution controll,and or sensors.I might be wrong but i believe the heyday of the light duty diesel is over.at least for now.almost like in the 80s when everything was pretty crappy till the got the emission related things ironed out.Just my opinion.The last two gas engined vans that i had made it past 250,000 miles no real major things other than alternators,ac,a water pump on one,hoses and belts.they were chevys and were still running fine when i sold them.Although you cant expect the paint to stay on long.it will come off in sheets.

gulum1804

Not any better if not worse. In today's world there will be no zero issue diesel engine do to all of the new emissions controls. I have a few friends who purchased the transits when they first hit the market being cheaper than the sprinter, they regret that decision by all means. (Too many transmission issues) As a passenger van i would pass on it, as it is very hard and has a rough like feel to the drive. Where the sprinter holds the road better and is in my opinion way better as fore as comfort goes. If you already have 4 sprinters the best advise i can give you is to stick to what you know. But as always taking one out for a test drive will be your best option, so you can see the difference. As fore as the engine goes, it is still too early to see how they hold up in the real world, and get some real feedback from owners.

Mrdi

The transit has a gas engine option.
If our major concern with the Sprinter is the diesel emission problems
and my 08 has them $$.... perhaps the Ford's rough ride is not a bad trade off.
Even though mileage on the gas Ford's can't compete, the diesel emission repair
bills will off-set that easily. Not to mention, there is a Ford dealer in every town.
When will Toyota enter the fray?

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Not any better if not worse. In today's world there will be no zero issue diesel engine do to all of the new emissions controls. I have a few friends who purchased the transits when they first hit the market being cheaper than the sprinter, they regret that decision by all means. (Too many transmission issues) As a passenger van i would pass on it, as it is very hard and has a rough like feel to the drive. Where the sprinter holds the road better and is in my opinion way better as fore as comfort goes. If you already have 4 sprinters the best advise i can give you is to stick to what you know. But as always taking one out for a test drive will be your best option, so you can see the difference. As fore as the engine goes, it is still too early to see how they hold up in the real world, and get some real feedback from owners.
I owned a 08 NCV3 Sprinter for 5 years and 54,000 miles. and sold the Sprinter and bought a gas 2015 Ecoboost Transit that I have now driven for 2 1/2 years and 19,000 miles.

Had multiple reasons for the change but one primary one was to get rid of the diesel. The new emmission controls on all makes of "clean" diesels seem to have reliability problems. A simpler gas engine was preferred.

Almost no comments on the Transit forum about any transmission problems. In fact the 6 speed transmission is far better than the 5 speed NAG 1 in the 08 Sprinter. I used to manually shift the NAG 1 because it does not downshift when it should. I no longer need to do that with the Transit. The Transit has a hillholder feature and has the option of a tow/haul mode that automatically downshifts when going down a hill. Transit transmission is used in millions of Ford products. Perhaps you were referring to the Promaster that has had transmission issues? Ford did screwup the Transit driveline by using an inadequate rubber donut at the rear of the transmission instead of a U-joint.. It fails so Ford has issured a recall to replace that with a normal steel U-joint. All new Transits now being sold have the normal U-joint.

IMO the Transit drives and handles far better than my 08 Sprinter. Transit drives more like a good car instead of a truck.

If MPG is your primary reason to purchase, then buy a Sprinter. I keep accurate records of MPG. The Sprinter got 20.75 MPG when it was empty before the 2100 lbs of conversion stuff was installed. With the conversion weight I averaged 18.5 MPG. The Ford got about 16 MPG empty and now I am getting about 15.5 MPG with 1970 lbs of conversion stuff. Does not make sense that it has not dropped more but that is what is happening.

Do highly recommend you drive both vehicles to compare. There is a major difference IMO. All vehicles have advantages and disadvantages. I can make a list of Sprinter issues and a list of Transit issues. Overall I easily prefer the Transit. Others may have the opposite opinion.

surlyoldbill

I read and looked at a lot of stuff when I decided I needed to get a new van. I really liked my T1N Sprinter, was skeptical about NCV3, but the new I-4 motor is supposed to be OK.

BUT, diesel isn't the long term value it used to be. Current emissions standards have rendered the diesel in full size vans to be only marginally better than gas for MPG, and the extra maintenance cost (DEF, larger oil amount per change, etc) pretty much makes operating costs the same (assuming current fuel price fluctuations making diesel and regular gas about the same price averaged over the year). And extra equipment means extra things to break. So, I decided that gas was the way to go, for now. Mercedes doesn't have a gasoline engine offered for the Sprinter.

To add to Dave's assessment, I find that my Transit is much less maneuverable than my old T1N, and rides harsher. I have never driven an NCV3 Sprinter. My Transit drives like a huge box truck, instead of car-like as my T1N did; I have to forgo a lot of parking spots because I know that it will be a 3-4 point turn to get into them, where in the Sprinter I just drove right in. The Transit IS a little wider, though.

And if MPG is the primary concern, the Promaster diesel has been reported to be averaging above 25MPG in combined driving. The diesel ProRam only comes with the intriguing computer-shifted manual transmission, it drives like an automatic but it's a real manual transmission; the computer activates the clutch and shifts it instead of you. Kind of like push button start; the computer decides when it's time to let off on the starter. Some people really hate it.

Another thing in favor of the Ford; they have regular discounts for various reasons, and sell off the lot for 10-25% less than sticker price. The only time you'd pay MSRP is if you ordered one. My van's sticker was almost $35k and I paid about $26k (discounts for 2015 model year, Labor Day, new buyer, etc). Sprinters are hardly ever "on sale" and you pay sticker most of the time. That's one of the main reasons I bought the Ford, it's the best deal for the money in my opinion.

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
I read in the Transit forum that exhaust temp sensors are $30 and DIY replacement with no dealer adaptation vs over $300 for Sprinter plus pay for adaptation.

lindenengineering

I read in the Transit forum that exhaust temp sensors are $30 and DIY replacement with no dealer adaptation vs over $300 for Sprinter plus pay for adaptation.
That is correct!
But in any case Ford and its IDS system (if you buy it) holds nothing back! --You get it all for programming .
MB could learn something about that Ford's policy which in turn has emulated Toyota.
Emulation the finest form of flattery.
Dennis

flman

That is correct!
But in any case Ford and its IDS system (if you buy it) holds nothing back! --You get it all for programming .
MB could learn something about that Ford's policy which in turn has emulated Toyota.
Emulation the finest form of flattery.
Dennis
Yup, just like MB copied the Transit.

4wheels

Graphite Dave :

Transit drives and handles far better than my 08 Sprinter. Transit drives more like a good car instead of a truck. 

Surlyoldbill :
I find that my Transit rides harsher. I have never driven an NCV3 Sprinter. My Transit drives like a huge box truck, instead of car-like as my T1N did;

To OP - 60 miles a day in city traffic ? Buy gas Promaster or Transit !

surlyoldbill

Graphite Dave :

Transit drives and handles far better than my 08 Sprinter. Transit drives more like a good car instead of a truck. 

Surlyoldbill :
I find that my Transit rides harsher. I have never driven an NCV3 Sprinter. My Transit drives like a huge box truck, instead of car-like as my T1N did;

To OP - 60 miles a day in city traffic ? Buy gas Promaster or Transit !
Dave's van was a NCV3, mine was a T1N.

I currently own 4 sprinters, but I am curious about the Ford Transit Diesel. Has anyone analyzed the differences? What was your conclusion?
This would be driven about 60 miles a day in city traffic.

If your choice is only a diesel and you are comparing the Sprinter to the Transit, go with the Sprinter. The Transit diesel is still somewhat rare and parts availability is limited compared to even the Sprinter.

trevor68

If your choice is only a diesel and you are comparing the Sprinter to the Transit, go with the Sprinter. The Transit diesel is still somewhat rare and parts availability is limited compared to even the Sprinter.

Wow. Didnt know that.
Yes for my use, it has to be a Diesel van.

flman

How do you know that?

4wheels

Dave's van was a NCV3, mine was a T1N.
Yes , we know .
NCV3 rides much nicer and quieter than T1N . The penalty for that was mpg . I like your honest review of your Transit .
So if Transit rides worse than T1N - how come Transit rides way better than NCV3 Sprinter ? No way !
Some people just always say - mine is better . You are not one of them .

surlyoldbill

Yes , we know .
NCV3 rides much nicer and quieter than T1N . The penalty for that was mpg . I like your honest review of your Transit .
So if Transit rides worse than T1N - how come Transit rides way better than NCV3 Sprinter ? No way !
Some people just always say - mine is better . You are not one of them .
Matters of perspective.
And maybe my 300k T1N suspension was softened up or something, and the brand spanking new Transit feels harsh and bumpy by comparison. I think even a brand new Kia probably feels snappier than a 300k Mercedes 500SL. We're also comparing apples and oranges with built campervans vs empty cargo vans vs wagons. My Transit is definitely smoother with a bunch of weight in the back. The turning radius sucks compared to the T1N, though, as does visibility. The power steering at low speed is better in the Transit, or at least easier to turn the wheel. I helped a friend with cabinets for a couple T1Ns this summer, and drove both those and my Transit on the same day, so I had an actual side-by-side comparison to refer to. T1N is louder, but it has diesel. The Transit is a little more squirrely in high winds than my T1N, too.

The Transit is still the best van for the money as far as I'm concerned. I don't know what the "best" van is regardless of expense, there are only 3 different eurostyle full size vans in the USA right now, and I didn't test drive the Mercedes.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
I am in Italy and have not had internet connection.

This dicussion is interesting. Compared to the NCV3 I did not notice any difference in manuverbility. According to the brochures the turning circle for the 144 wheelbase is almost the same as the 148 wheelbase Transit.

I have not noticed any major difference in the ride. There is a major in handling if you drive it fast. With the Ecoboost gas V6 there is huge difference in acceleration. The Transit is a hot rod.

My 08 diesel Sprinter conversion with 2100 lb conversion got 18.5 mpg. The Transit with 1970 lb conversion is getting 15.5 mpg. Interesting that that the mpg has not changed from being empty. Does not make sense so we will see as I add miles.

flman

Friend of mine owns 2 Ford dealerships. I asked the question when I read this thread.
That would not make it all that exotic, it is still basically like any other Ford Power Stroke. Diesels are always changing every year, nothing new.

It would be like saying no one knows how to work on the Sprinter 1-4 because it has not been around as long as the i-5 and v6.

Actually the MB I-4 and the Ford I-5 have been out just as long give or take.

Last edited:

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
Diesel to diesel dually to dually- I can't get as long a wheelbase in the Ford and would have to live with lots of overhang on the back- not good for handling.

UD

Top Bottom