Lure of the Dempster….Roadtrek-ing to Inuvik

Pumpkinass

"You can blame "us" for the demand for energy, materials and so forth. But you can't blame "us" for the way in which natural resources are managed and utilized and extracted."..

Eggs-zactly!
Bill
NYC~

tinman

Oh-oh. Religion next?

I agree with Icarus on the long term sustainability of drawing on wild fish stocks for our sustenance. Common practice for centuries has been to fish stocks until they're gone, then move on to another location or species, which sometimes have to be renamed to make them more palatable. Well-meaning attempts to manage wild fisheries seem to miss an ecological parameter or two. In my neighbourhood lake sturgeon are still recovering from overfishing during the fur trade era almost two hundred years age. We had to find an alternative to bison for our meat too. Open water fish farming has its own issues. Having commercial fishermen in the family has made for some interesting discussions. I think their community is pretty good about working within the rules, and they are very closely monitored, but I think the market for some wild stocks is changing in favour of more predictable supply. We did manage to find some fresh cod on the docks in NL. The mussels were farmed, but the scallops were dragged.

I found the history of the cod fishery in the maritimes and NL very interesting. Dried cod was a major protein source for Europe for centuries, probably fair to call it a big part of the energy that fuelled empires. In the west, we've moved on from beaver and bison to farming and oil. Hopefully our agriculture is sustainable. Oil is, of course, forever. I hope that the outports find a way through their economic inversion. We have a lot of Newfoundlanders keeping the home fires burning by working in our Alberta oil patch. A woman in Fortune told me that her young son-in-law's work rotation to Ft. McMurray wasn't much different than her husband going out on the boats for weeks at a time.

Elmer's pics encourage me to plan another trip. Might have to shrink the Sprinter somehow for the Harrington Harbour supply ship. The ferry to France (St. Pierre & Miquelon) was out of service during last year's visit, so more reason to return.

Some of my favourite recent fiction reads that give a taste of NL background - The Shipping News, The River Thieves (and others by Michael Crummy), The Colony of Unrequited Dreams.

Happy Travels,

Andy

Pumpkinass

"Oil is, of course, forever."...Uh uh nope it isn't.

"The single best example of the ecological and economical dangers of overfishing is found in Newfoundland, Canada. In 1992 the once thriving cod fishing industry came to a sudden and full stop when at the start of the fishing season no cod appeared. Overfishing allowed by decades of fisheries mismanagement was the main cause for this disaster that resulted in almost 40.000 people losing their livelihood and an ecosystem in complete state of decay. Now, fifteen years after the collapse, many fishermen are still waiting for the cod to return and communities still haven't recovered from the sudden removal of the regions single most important economical driver."(http://overfishing.org/pages/why_is_overfishing_a_problem.php)...Cod might not be the best example.

At least we're all aware and agree that there is a 'problem'. That's a start. If we will or can and how might 'fix' the problem is up to anyone's guess. We're not adding fish sanctuaries large enough or fast enough. And the ones we have often get trespassed and fished illegally.

...Anyways...
Sooo...Mr Mein Sprinter? What's the next trip? Planning yet?
Sure enjoyed following your exploits so far.
Bill
NYC~

Mein Sprinter

Known member
"Elmer's pics encourage me to plan another trip. Might have to shrink the Sprinter somehow for the Harrington Harbour supply ship. The ferry to France (St. Pierre & Miquelon) was out of service during last year's visit, so more reason to return.

Some of my favourite recent fiction reads that give a taste of NL background - The Shipping News, The River Thieves (and others by Michael Crummy), The Colony of Unrequited Dreams.

Happy Travels,

Andy[/QUOTE]

Me thinks that the Sprinter can be driven into the tall cage -2 cages left of my VW; even the on I was using might do. It's pretty tall, might not be wide enough(fold mirrors) or go to the one I mentioned. Dunno the weigh limit. You can check at:

http://www.groupedesgagnes.com/en/home/244.aspx

As for St. Pierre & Miquelon, FR., only passengers are ferried over there, NO vehicles.

When you get there YOU are in FRANCE !!...... Bonne Chance...

And nice to agréable de parler un peu de français .

Peugeot... Le petit Sprinter

cheers...

Last edited:

baldbemused

Ich habe Ihre Reisetage genossen und hoffen, mehr zu sehen . Sie beschweren sich über Speicher aber verwendet werden, um auf Motorrädern reisen ! :) Auch ich habe entschieden, dass weniger mehr ist auf der Innenseite der Sprinter und ein aus mir selbst zu bauen. Wie viel haben Sie das Dach A / C , während im Norden Land benutzen? ( Ich bin Deutsch nur durch Vorfahren, die vor 1700 in Nordamerika angekommen, und die Sprache nicht sprechen . Google übersetzen ist erstaunlich ...Wie schlimm ist es ?) Vielen Dank . Sicher reisen !

Mein Sprinter

Known member
Ich habe Ihre Reisetage genossen und hoffen, mehr zu sehen . Sie beschweren sich über Speicher aber verwendet werden, um auf Motorrädern reisen ! :) Auch ich habe entschieden, dass weniger mehr ist auf der Innenseite der Sprinter und ein aus mir selbst zu bauen. Wie viel haben Sie das Dach A / C , während im Norden Land benutzen? ( Ich bin Deutsch nur durch Vorfahren, die vor 1700 in Nordamerika angekommen, und die Sprache nicht sprechen . Google übersetzen ist erstaunlich ...Wie schlimm ist es ?) Vielen Dank . Sicher reisen !
Hello Viewers... hope you don't mind me jabbering in German a bit with this gentleman/gentlewoman "baldbemused".

Hallo...

"Wie schlimm ist es, fragst Du über Google?" Einfach schlimm, aber hilft Doch etwas, nicht wahr?

Es freut mich das du unsere Reisen berichte gelesen hast und die dir gut gefällt. Ja, vor vielen Jahren gingen wir meistens auf Motorrad reisen, dann VW Kombi und heute beim Sprinter(nur wegen älter).

Selbst innen bauen des Sprinter möchtete Ich gerne aber hatte wenig zeit, dadurch ein fertiger Wohnwagen von Roadtrek.

Seit Wir jetzt nach Arizona umziehen wollen machen wir dieses Jahr kein Autoreise.

Vielleicht nächstes Jahr im 2016! Reiseziel: Fogo, Neufundland.

Gruesse, ELMAR

baldbemused

Danke für die Antwort Elmar - (65 Jahre alten Mann mit der Glatze hier ) Auch wir wollen zu den Seeprovinzen nächsten Sommer. Wir hoffen, Sie in unserem neuen Sprinter gehen , aber es wird nicht hier sein, bis Mitte April , und ich möchte viele "Verbesserungen" zu tun , wie Sie verstehen werden . Ich habe noch nie ein Loch in eine neue 50.000 $ Fahrzeugs geschnitten , bevor , sollte interessant sein !
Ich war in Vien und München im letzten Sommer und wünschte, ich könnte wirklich Deutsch sprechen! Ich hoffe, dass Ihr Umzug reibungslos verläuft und nochmals vielen Dank für die wunderbare Reisebericht .
John Randall

Mein Sprinter

Known member
So much wished to continue another Adventure this year..(Quebec; TransLabHighway; Newfoundland...FOGO) but it's not to be until 2016.:frown:

Stay healthy and hang in there :thumbup:

cheers.....:idunno:

tinman

We might be ready to go back by then too. Might take until 2016 for all this year's snow to melt. Yukon/Alaska in June this year.

Cheers,

Andy

VanVaz

2012 NAFTA 2500 Cargo 144
So much wished to continue another Adventure this year..(Quebec; TransLabHighway; Newfoundland...FOGO) but it's not to be .....

Stay healthy and hang in there :thumbup:

cheers.....:idunno:
Drove over 7000 km in Newfoundland an year ago, including all those in the pictures. Fogo is stark as is the architecture of the Fogo Island Inn. Do visit the Bell Island mine museum. In there you will find an original Iron Cross and commendation awarded to the U boat captain that torpedoed British shipping / ore carriers. The commendations are signed by Hitler and Himmler ( I think, or could be Canaris). Given by the captains heirs to the Museum. Also visit the French islands of St.Pierre and Miquelon. They have a guillotine in their Museum, apparently used just once!
Stan

Mein Sprinter

Known member
Drove over 7000 km in Newfoundland an year ago, including all those in the pictures. Fogo is stark as is the architecture of the Fogo Island Inn. Do visit the Bell Island mine museum. In there you will find an original Iron Cross and commendation awarded to the U boat captain that torpedoed British shipping / ore carriers. The commendations are signed by Hitler and Himmler ( I think, or could be Canaris). Given by the captains heirs to the Museum. Also visit the French islands of St.Pierre and Miquelon. They have a guillotine in their Museum, apparently used just once!
Stan
Thanks Stan for the info. Will definitely visit Bell Island Museum. My Uncle was in the Kriegsmarine back then but doubt he was that far from his Motherland.

As for St. Pierre/Miquelon: We visited it during our BMW/sidecar days

ferried over as no vehicles were allowed to be taken into FRANCE! Stayed there for 2 days and had a grant time. Practiced my high school French and passed :idunno:.

cheers...

Mein Sprinter

Known member
I know this "Lure of the Dempster" is now pretty ancient BUT cannot wait in reporting of our next installment of a "Lure of ????"... this summer :hmmm:

cheers....

Mein Sprinter

Known member
I know this "Lure of the Dempster" is now pretty ancient BUT cannot wait in reporting of our next installment of a "Lure of ????"... this summer :hmmm:

cheers....
AArrgghh...it's unfortunate not to be this summer rather NEXT summer(2017)..too much stuff to do this year:bash::yell:. Of course, Fogo, NFLD it will be; hang in there :thumbup:

cheers...

Top Bottom