Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Airstream > Sprinter Westfalia

Old 09-28-2017, 05:11 AM   #1
512Westy

Default Need to borrow a digi controller

My airtronics has locked itself out again and I need to reset it. I believe the problem is fuel flow and I think I need to drop the fuel tank to inspect the hose and dip tube. Both the airttronic and the hydronic are malfunctioning. So when I ran the hydronic (the only one that will start up, but it shuts itself off immediately) I see lots of air in the line just past the pump. I'm in Bend, OR for the winter but heading back to Austin late Oct, back to Bend in mid nov. Anyone have the digi-max controller that I can reset mine with? I've heard they aren't sold anymore. Is that correct?
Thanks
David
512Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:40 PM   #2
Wasaabi

Default Re: Need to borrow a digi controller

Hi David, I know you are very knowledgable on the Espar but are you sure you didn't run near 1/4 tank of fuel? This happened to me in the past when my fuel level was just around (and maybe slightly over) 1/4. Both Espars would not start until I filled the tank. It is because of where the main Espar fuel line goes into the tank, which was likely done so very conservatively to prevent being stuck in the woods.

Here's the thing about when this happened to me: It took quite a few attempts (failed starts) to get both heaters going again. I kept trying them in various combinations. I was worried but eventually they fired up. I think it has to so with air that gets into the lines that has to be primed out.

There are different viewpoints about whether the Espars in the Westy truly lock up after a few attempts. Mine has the newer (replaced) controller board so I don't know, but mine does not. In any case, if you are getting any signs of life don't give up and keep trying. Maybe get the Hydronic Espar running first then move onto the Airtronic.
Wasaabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wasaabi For This Useful Post:
512Westy (09-29-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 08:14 PM   #3
Kiltym

Not sure if this is the part or not you need:

https://esparparts.com/digimax-d1000...7iv8f95sds6hm5

If so, they seem to have them still.

Update: Looks like it won't work based on other threads. Sorry for the post. Seems these wont work on the "Westy" D4....

Last edited by Kiltym; 09-28-2017 at 08:21 PM. Reason: typo
Kiltym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:18 PM   #4
onemanvan

I'm pretty sure the Digi-Max D1000 can unlock our D4S heaters. At the Westyfest in Colorado last year TomG unlocked several Espars. On some of them he could also read fault codes. I put together this compatibility spreadsheet to help explain what works with what. Much of it depends on which ECU you have in your heater. There are three variants of the ECU that I'm aware of - although there could be more - for example the standard North American ECU might come in several different flavors... Earlier Westy's had revision #1, later Westy's - for example my #186 Westy - has a revision #2 ECU. If the original ECU in your Westy was replaced then it probably has what I call the North American standard ECU in it. Which is not compatible with our central electronic console. Which means your Westy probably has something like a Digi-Max D1000 wired in to interface with the heater. The purpose of this spreadsheet is to define which high altitude compensators, central electronic controller and diagnostic tools are compatible with which ECU's.

John...
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2017-09-26 at 9.29.12 AM (1).png (55.2 KB, 59 views)
onemanvan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to onemanvan For This Useful Post:
GoJohnGo (09-29-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 07:05 AM   #5
GoJohnGo
Road trip!

For what it's worth, my "early(?)" Westy #063 has the "later" ECU 22 5101 00 17 02 and works happily with the High Altitude Compensator 20 2900 70 0007 as indicated in onemanvan's table.
2005 Dodge Sprinter Westfalia by Airstream #63 in Jasper Blue
GoJohnGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:07 AM   #6
GoJohnGo
Road trip!

David,

You may want to run to to Portland to visit Rixen's Enterprises; they were recommended for Espar work by pnwsquid.
2005 Dodge Sprinter Westfalia by Airstream #63 in Jasper Blue
GoJohnGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 02:16 AM   #7
Robert Foster

Is there a way to tell which variant of ECU is in your heater ? I am going to try and pull my heater to service it myself and I am going to purchase the Digi Max 1000 to replace the useless controller that the previous owner of my rig had installed.

Last edited by Robert Foster; 09-30-2017 at 02:18 AM.
Robert Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:14 AM   #8
onemanvan

The ECU number is easy to find - look for the label attached to ECU itself. I attached two pictures. One is the Espar completely disassembled and the other is partially broken down. In the upper left corner of the later is the ECU module - detached and hanging to one side - with the label visible.

John...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eberspacher2A_big - Edited.jpg (127.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1234 - Edited.jpg (137.0 KB, 52 views)
onemanvan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to onemanvan For This Useful Post:
Robert Foster (09-30-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 03:29 AM   #9
Robert Foster

Wow, thank you onemanvan, the pictures are really helpful for multiple reasons to someone who has never seen what our Espar looks like and is getting ready to pull it out.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:50 PM   #10
512Westy

Thanks all for the suggestions. Wasabi, I knew about the fuel level issue but had not heard it was so sensitive. Will attempt a few more times to see if I can move the air out. Does anyone knw if there is a false start issue with the hydronic unit where it gets locked out?

John, thanks for breakdown on serial numbers. Will track that down.
512Westy is offline   Reply With Quote