Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Airstream > Sprinter Westfalia

Old 03-27-2017, 12:03 AM   #1
onemanvan

Default Safety chains for upper awning windows

I know several Westy owners have lost one or more of their upper awning windows. I know all to well how easy it is to forget and leave them open... There are as many different ways to 'chain' them down as there are Westy owners:-) Nevertheless I thought I'd share with you my version of an 'insurance policy' against loss.

For the chain I used this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The vendor rates the #6 stainless steel ball chain at 45 pounds load capacity. So with two chains working in tandem that would be about 100 pounds of stopping power - assuming the screws hold...

To secure the chain I used this:

https://www.ballchain.com/estore/mer...roduct_Code=6D

I used #8 5/8" stainless screws on the window mounts and the .130 #6 D couplings.
I think it was #8 screws... At any rate - same size as the ones that hold the struts to the mounts. I tried to use one of the existing screws on the mount but even the larger .170 ID D coupling was to small.

On the window frame mount I used the existing screw and .170 #6 D couplings.

I added 3/8" nuts to weight down the chain - otherwise the chain gets pinched between the window and frame - so you'd have to fiddle with them every time you close the window. It's all about the 'angle of the dangle':-)

John...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170326_145806 - Edited.jpg (144.0 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170326_145618 - Edited.jpg (101.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170326_145504 - Edited.jpg (96.0 KB, 51 views)
onemanvan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onemanvan For This Useful Post:
hollygirl (03-27-2017), JoeHike (03-30-2017), OldWest (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 01:28 PM   #2
mogul2us

Default Re: Safety chains for upper awning windows

Looks like that would do it! I did something similar, but used very heavy duty (like 1/4" wide) nylon cable ties. Cut it to length and attached it to the same fixed screws that you did. They just curve into a loop when the windows are closed. Untested, so don't know if they will work but I sure hope so!

mogul2us
mogul2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:48 AM   #3
Riptide

I gotta crawl up there to see exactly how these windows are affixed to the camper. Do they just come right off, or slide out of the hinge? Can't picture how these tethers work...
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:56 AM   #4
onemanvan

An update regarding the 'safety chains' I installed. A few weeks ago a strong 'dust devil' swept by my parked Westy. I had the upper vent windows cracked open for ventilation. The wind from the 'dust devil' caught the window on the driver side and lifted it up with tremendous force. By the time the window lifted high enough to take up the slack in the chains it had enough inertia to break both chains! According to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_devil the wind speed was probably around 50 mph. If the window had been open all the way the chains probably would have held. I didn't notice any apparent damage to the window but I haven't examined it in great detail yet. Anyway - I guess it's back to the drawing board...
onemanvan is offline   Reply With Quote