Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Adventure

Adventure Seeing the world in a Sprinter.
SubForums: about that Adventure Shared Driveways

Old 03-05-2020, 09:21 PM   #31
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 8,534 Times in 6,188 Posts
Default Re: West Africa Trip

I had seen the sand mats in one of your earlier photos, so i wasn't too worried...

--dick (but it's better to have *four* of them ... you drive on to one pair, walk the others around front, drive on to them, walk the (now behind you) others around front ... (rinse/repeat).)
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:38 AM   #32
Ed463

Quote:
Originally Posted by autostaretx View Post
I had seen the sand mats in one of your earlier photos, so i wasn't too worried...

--dick (but it's better to have *four* of them ... you drive on to one pair, walk the others around front, drive on to them, walk the (now behind you) others around front ... (rinse/repeat).)
Agreed. It's always a compromise about how much "stuff" you take
To be honest it was all unnecessary, driver errors
1. Took a turn/route without checking it out. If I had carried on for another 3 yards I'd have been in very soft stinky mud. Result slam on brakes and dig front end in.
2. Without getting out and checking the ground put it in reverse and spun rear wheels. Rear now bellied.
If I had just stopped, got out, thought about it, maybe a little digging I'd have been out in 10 minutes with the sand mats unused.
Maybe
Every day is a school day as they say.
Ed463 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed463 For This Useful Post:
surferJ (03-06-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 04:01 PM   #33
Ed463

Preaching to the converted I guess:-)

We're now about 8k miles into this trip (60k on it as a camper, 150k total), so a few thoughts. I had started to alter our G Wagen in to an “overlander”. Maybe sleeping inside, maybe a roof tent (more on those later). There are plenty of people who insist the ONLY suitable vehicle for this sort of thing is a totally mechanical setup. No electronics. Not to say I haven't suffered from limp home mode anxiety at times! But the Sprinter has been faultless. Covering some seriously tough conditions, for example 5hrs to do 90kms. Or sub 8mpg at times. Mechanically it’s a commercial vehicle. Tough in other words. Plenty out there with 800k miles on them.
The more we thought about travelling with the G Wagen, the less appealing if got. Hence the Sprinter. It’s been a great choice. At times we've travelled with Toyota's and Land Rovers. As you'd expect on tarmac the Sprinter runs rings around them. Off road not a huge difference. In fact in soft sand the Sprinter, on aired down tyres, out performed the LR 90. If he’d aired down to about 14psi I’m sure that wouldn't have been the case.
Mpg. Toyota Troopy maybe 20% worse than the V6 Sprinter and wouldn't pull you out of bed. The LR90 with the Ford puma engine virtually identical, literally within a litre or two difference at each fill up.
So roof tent vs. van. What can I say roof tents are utterly useless for this sort of travel. So glad we didn't bother with one. Wind too strong? Plenty of times we had to drive around finding a sheltered spot or a cheap hotel. Or they got no sleep. Stopping for 1 night. 30 second setup, oh yeah. If we fancy parking up on the street. No problem. Not for them. It’s a campsite or trawling around finding a wild campsite.
The other option, and a couple did this in the Troopy, sleep inside. In 30 to 40C. Just great, not. Plus, I kid you not, they crap in a bucket. In the same tiny space they try to sleep in.
Totally mechanical or newish. By definition all mechanical equals old. I went this route with the G Wagen (apart from the abs) all mechanical OM606 engine. I would have trusted it to go anywhere, but it was 20 plus years old. Having said that it made the Troopy look very old and fragile. Fact is new vehicles are way more reliable than old. No disputing the numbers/facts. But you do need a different mind set and a different skill set. If you look into the majority of issues Sprinters suffer from (And there's no denying they have quality/electronic issues) very few disable it. Limp home maybe. Codes which can reappear absolutely.
So the only thing I’d swap the Sprinter for? Maybe the new 907. Our son has just swapped his 906 4x4 for a 907 4x4. He tells me it’s a big improvement, especially the traction control and engine performance. Of maybe a MAN TGE van. Or possibly A Merc Vario, but finding a good one? A conventional 4x4? No chance.
odix@yahoo.com (03-12-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 04:03 PM   #34
Bobnoxious

Thanked 6,213 Times in 4,523 Posts

Happy Corona virus from Commiefornia!!!
Bobnoxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:47 AM   #35
Roodster

Nice one Ed, keep em coming! I invested in an ARB easy deflator, takes the guesswork out of sand.
Roodster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roodster For This Useful Post:
Ed463 (03-11-2020), surferJ (04-05-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 08:10 AM   #36
Ed463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxious View Post
Happy Corona virus from Commiefornia!!!
I have ZERO idea what this means.
Meant to be funny?
If so I'm not laughing, a close family member died of Corona virus 9 days ago
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed463 For This Useful Post:
lindenengineering (03-11-2020), surferJ (04-05-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 09:59 AM   #37
Bobnoxious

Thanked 6,213 Times in 4,523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed463 View Post
I have ZERO idea what this means.
Meant to be funny?
If so I'm not laughing, a close family member died of Corona virus 9 days ago
My apologies, that was stupid and done in poor taste and offer my condolences for the passing of your family member.

May you be safe in all of your journeys!!!

Regards,

Me the Dummy.
Bobnoxious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobnoxious For This Useful Post:
hkpierce (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 03:24 PM   #38
Ed463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxious View Post
My apologies, that was stupid and done in poor taste and offer my condolences for the passing of your family member.

May you be safe in all of your journeys!!!

Regards,

Me the Dummy.
No problem 👍 thanks for the reply.
Bigger things to worry about. If it wasn't for the fact that we have our sons wedding (which could be cancelled) we'd stay here in the sun and Sahara. Far safer.
Bobnoxious (03-11-2020)