Alaska at subzero temps

IPT

Was -11F outside, but I had to run back down the road to snap this pic. Well worth it despite the pain in my fingers once I got back in the heat :).

Quick timelapse. Uploading killed the resolution, sorry about that.

Coolmaxt

Thats beautiful! The time-lapse makes me nervous because I feel like I am going to slide off the icy road! haha

VanGoSki

Gorgeous photos! Especially the sunset one (or is that sunrise?) And fabulous scenery. Man, I can't wait to go on a roadtrip through Alaska.

But that's not very cold. This is cold (Yellowstone in the winter.)

IPT

Gorgeous photos! Especially the sunset one (or is that sunrise?) And fabulous scenery. Man, I can't wait to go on a roadtrip through Alaska.

But that's not very cold. This is cold (Yellowstone in the winter.)

Yeah, sunset. When we left the park that night after making some dinner it was -19 and projected to be somewhere between -20 and -30. It was our first real winter outing so I'm juts not that confident yet in the rigs capabilities. Might venture out one night without the family for that test.

Yellowknife is prime aurora country, did you see any?

Last edited:

IPT

Thats beautiful! The time-lapse makes me nervous because I feel like I am going to slide off the icy road! haha
LOl, actually the roads were quite good! There was a lot of pavement visible for most of the drive!

This pic was from a week or two ago just around town. A few weeks before it was literally sheer ice. Even with studded tires, I still come into curves with a reasonable approach speed and a bit of trepidation :). Thankfully I have yet to go "ditch diving" as they call around here.

Not sure why its rotated. It's fine on Flicker....

VanGoSki

Yeah, sunset. When we left the park that night after making some dinner it was -19 and projected to be somewhere between -20 and -30. It was our first real winter outing so I'm juts not that confident yet in the rigs capabilities. Might venture out one night without the family for that test.

Yellowknife is prime aurora country, did you see any?
OK, -20 to -30F at night is no joke. That's more like I would expect up there.

-26F was in Yellowstone, NP in Wyoming. Not Yellowknife, NWT. Although interestingly enough I have plans to visit Yellowknife, NWT in May 2021. A friend of mine who will accompany me knows some people who live there, and May is prime aurora season.

My 2020 Cargo van which is currently built and hopefully on its way to me is pretty tricked out for cold weather. H12 (Espar D5), electric windshield, electric seats, no or minmal windows, and of course it will be insulated and an Espar D2 installed. So I'm super interested to hear and learn all I can from you guys up in the north.

Do you have a winch, or plans to get one?

IPT

OK, -20 to -30F at night is no joke. That's more like I would expect up there.

-26F was in Yellowstone, NP in Wyoming. Not Yellowknife, NWT. Although interestingly enough I have plans to visit Yellowknife, NWT in May 2021. A friend of mine who will accompany me knows some people who live there, and May is prime aurora season.

My 2020 Cargo van which is currently built and hopefully on its way to me is pretty tricked out for cold weather. H12 (Espar D5), electric windshield, electric seats, no or minmal windows, and of course it will be insulated and an Espar D2 installed. So I'm super interested to hear and learn all I can from you guys up in the north.

Do you have a winch, or plans to get one?
Sweet, Yeah, fall and spring equinox tend to be really good Aurora season. I think Yellowknife is located right smack in the middle of the aurora belt (if you can call it that). If there is any activity at all, you would see it there. Sounds like a sweet trip and van you will have setup.

We have the heated windshield, heated seats, H12, and an internal Espar S2. Love the heated windshield. It's great for frost removal! I find it works much better when it's 0 degrees or above, but I'm sure it still helps when it's stupid cold too. We did get the option for the remote in the H12 and THAT has been great.

Been having small issues with the S2 throwing a code and not starting on it's own. i can always over ride it and get it going, but if we set it for an early am start it' hit and miss. The vendor is saying the code suggests something blocking the fan or a voltage issue. I suspect a wire maybe because it's intermittent. It's also under the passenger seat so I cant see anything getting int he way of an impeller (or whatever the term is).

No, no winch. I probably should get one, but as of now I have no been adventurous enough with where are going (or have gone) to feel the need. Maybe this will change as we explore deeper and deeper and our children get a little older. Of course our diesel fuel up here is winterized, but I did take some extra additive when I went north just to supplement. I also learned you can cycle the ignition key few times to make sure the glow plugs are warm when it's super cold to lower the need for battery power cranking the motor for the initial start. That said I didn't do it, and had no issue starting in the am. Though on the real cold night we were at a hotel and our van has the winter package with a plug in, so we did plug in.

As you can see, we have windows, which we love most times. My wife made inserts and it makes a huge difference if they are in or out. You can literally feel the cold pour in if they aren't attached properly or when we remove them. I'm sure with just insulated walls and less window space that will be a boon in cold for sure.

Did you get any good photos in Yellowstone? Been years since I was there, but I remember it was awesome. I'd love to go for a winter trip some day. The geysers, the wolves and all that would be great in the winter!

VanGoSki

You got the wireless remote for the H12!? I'm so jealous. I tried to order that and was told it's not available in the US.

What power are you using for the S2? Heavy enough wire gauge? You might try throwing a volt meter across the power to make sure it's not marginal.

I didn't know about the cold-weather package with the plug-in block heater. I probably should have gotten that. I'm sure I can add one though.

I've been to Yellowstone in the winter three times now and I always get lots of great shots. It's absolutely magical there in the winter and I'm dying to get back there. Maybe this spring when the bears are waking up. I won't go near the place in the summer. Here's a gallery with my shots from one of my better trips there if you're interested. https://www.desertilluminations.com/Travel/Yellowstone-1214/

Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it. :thumbup:

IPT

You got the wireless remote for the H12!? I'm so jealous. I tried to order that and was told it's not available in the US.

What power are you using for the S2? Heavy enough wire gauge? You might try throwing a volt meter across the power to make sure it's not marginal.

I didn't know about the cold-weather package with the plug-in block heater. I probably should have gotten that. I'm sure I can add one though.

I've been to Yellowstone in the winter three times now and I always get lots of great shots. \

Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it. :thumbup:
Sweet set of images....very nice!

Maybe I am confusing terms, Whatever the Espar was we got as an option from the factory came with an (at an additional cost) IR remote. I think it was the H12 option. It's been awesome. Yeah, the plug in package was sort of standard living up here in AK.

I'll have to check on the wires. That's a good thought. I had it installed my a local builder with a solid reputation so I'm sure we will figure it out. I'll probably wait until spring when I take the floor out. I still have some minicell foam and thin thinsulate to put in under the floor. Once all that stuff is out it'll be a lot easier to see what's up with the wires.

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
I’m assuming he’s talking about Trailercrafts “Winter Package” which is a block heater, battery warming pad & trickle charger.. it’s a Dealer package and not a MB option...
by May the days are already getting long up in Yellowknife, March would still have dark nights but warmer temps, better chances to see the Aurora....
I drove into Yellowstone via the Beartooth Hwy last Oct, right before it was closed for the season by the big storms... lots of wildlife in the Lamar Valley, Bison, Elk, Antelope and Wolves !!

Attachments

Last edited:

VanGoSki

^^ Lucky you. I haven't been on the Beartooth Hwy yet, it's on my bucket list.

You're right about March being the best time to see the Aurora in Yellowknife. I checked my calendar and we are indeed scheduled to go in March, not May as I previously said.

downunder

For anyone wanting to see video of Alaska comparable to the photos in IPT's posts, have a look at YouTube - Wings and Wheels Alaska.
A couple in a 2019 Winnebago Revel Sprinter 4x4 camper.
Road shots, camp shots, towns, plenty of aerials from a drone, remote highways - all excellent viewing

Top Bottom