Lets add some awning lights...

nebep

So,

We mounted an awning rail, and use a Dometic "bag awning" and screen room like you'd use on a pop-up camper. It's totally "manual" - simple to put up and take down.

The awning has legs that attach to the truck. The place where the legs fold out of the support bar for the awning from creates a 1" channel.

I'm using 1"x3" poplar, and cutting it to length so the channel on the outer most part of the awning supports one end, and the rain gutter on the truck supports the other end.

It's a 12' x 7' awning/screen room. I found LED modules like we used inside the truck in AMBER.

So, we should have a nice amount of light for underneath the awning at night.

The LED modules being used are right at 3/4" tall with a flange, so, I've used forstner bits to make proper sized holes for the LED's to sit in. I have other purposes for these "light sticks", so, like everything else with our conversion, it's dual purpose.

In the pic with all the lights lit, all 9 LED's are concentrated together. If you look at my profile, you'll see these same LED modules in white inside the truck.

Our "exposed beam awning" is in progress!

(I took the first picture before I routed from hole to hole for the wiring to have a channel to rest in. I'll be running one power line, and probably using westpak plugs for each stick so we can choose how many sticks we'll use at once for other camping adventures...)

Enjoy!

Attachments

Last edited:

nebep

And here we are, new amber LEDs on their "maiden voyage" - They worked GREAT!!! We were VERY impressed.

We have some "finishing touches" still - these were just quick wired to see how they'd do - need to firm up a power outlet for these so we can just 'Plug N Play'..

The candles on the table are all citronella to keep the skeeters away for sure....

We were both reading and talking under these, definitely could cook with no issue.

We're diggin' 'em....

We did have one stick fall - I think I cut it just a tad too short!! Oops!!

I think I'm going to make a couple of small notches for them to rest a little more firmly on the rain gutter of the truck.

The second picture is the 1x3 resting in the channel created when the support legs are folded out and fastened to the truck.

Attachments

nebep

Dan,

They're from Http://www.oznium.com

Http://www.plasmaled.com has a lower profile unit that we used inside the truck.

Since I picked up the "taller" amber lights from oznium, plasmaled apparently has started carrying some of their units in amber as well.

They are a little spendy - what you're looking at was about $18 per light, but, I personally think they're well worth the money. They put out some GREAT light as you see.

(I never see it, but, check my profile and you'll see the plasmaled "short" modules inside the truck - there are 9 of 'em in there - and this is a LONG one - If you were to do 9 of those in a mid wheel, I think you'd have a fairly incredible amount of light.)

Another tip - if you look around oznium - these are the FLOOD lights, not the spot.

Ahh - here's the direct link to the amber ones on Oznium:

http://www.oznium.com/high-intensity-led-floodlight

I'm looking to improve the inside of my daily driver with these - that one's a medium wheelbase JUST LIKE MONA!! - But, not near as pretty!!!

In the RV conversion - I'm planning to replace the front dome light with two RED LEDs - and put a battery monitor in place of the dome light.

A note on oznium's site re: tech info of these - they say average temp. of the housing from constant operation can be 120-130F - We've had ours on for long periods and never got anywhere close to that - the housings have always been cool to the touch. If you touch the LED directly, you may feel a tidbit of warmth, but, I've never felt any warmth worth being concerned over with these units.

I'd be "honored" if the suggestion of these somehow plays a part with Mona!!! :) :thumbup:

Top Bottom