to tune or not to tune, that is the question

Have you modified your engine in any way?

• No, my van is plain stock and I like it

Votes: 170 56.9%
  • I have just a tune, no other engine mods

Votes: 37 12.4%
  • I have a tune and egr delete

Votes: 29 9.7%
  • I have a tune and dpf delete

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • I have a tune with egr and dpf delete

Votes: 38 12.7%
  • I have a tune with other modifications

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • No tune, but I do have other engine modifications

Votes: 13 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrician 2

Actually there is no different taking a look at things historically.
There is ALWAYS the 1/10th rule.
The repair being a major repair should be about a 1/10 of the initial cost.
In 2008 a Dodge Sprinter was just under $42,000.
My published estimate was $4300.

You can go back many years and see the same correlation taking the vehicle (any vehicle) to a repair shop .
Dennis.
I appreciate your expertise with the Sprinter.

My frustration with the swirl valve repair is that I will likely need to perform this repair 3X during the life of my van. Using an MB repair facility for the repair will end up costing me 1/2 the purchase price of my van over it's lifetime. And this does not factor in any other repairs needed over the van's life.

By comparison, we've owned Honda's that do not fall anywhere near these kind of regular maintenance expenses. And these are more domesticated, non-commercial built vehicles.

Maybe see you next season for a swirl valve visit.

Electrician 2

Out of curiosity why did you not take the van to the MB dealer?
Dennis
I did take it an MB dealer as I stated in the post you quoted.

Walking out with the MB dealer diagnostic and quote for the repair, and not knowing for sure if there would be other expenses I decided to tune my engine, get back to work and take another look at the mechanics of the repair in the spring.

Last edited:

KPT

We emailed this to you as well.

P2067-Mass Air Flow Sensor Signal Circuit Open Or Shorted P2067-Mass Air Flow Sensor Signal Voltage Too High P2067-Mass Air Flow Sensor Signal Voltage Too Low P2068-Mass Air Flow Sensor Plausibility Signal Ratio Error P2068-Mass Air Flow Sensor Plausibility Signal Ratio Too Large P2068-Mass Air Flow Sensor Plausibility Signal Ratio Too Small

These codes all point to a failing MAF sensor or a wiring issue. I would start with a new sensor as it is the cheapest.

You can clear the codes with the flash tool, if they keep coming back then definitely get a sensor on order. Let us know how it turns out. GDE
My GDE Tune has been excellent. My van is a 2008. I did not know you could clear codes with the GDE Flash Tool. I have had no codes, but will look for some instructions in case I ever do get the codes.

GreenDiesel

Green Diesel Engineering
My GDE Tune has been excellent. My van is a 2008. I did not know you could clear codes with the GDE Flash Tool. I have had no codes, but will look for some instructions in case I ever do get the codes.

Plug flash tool into OBD port. Select 'Diagnostic', then 'my vehicle', then 'read DTC'. There is also a clear function in the same menu. Thanks GDE

I appreciate your expertise with the Sprinter.

My frustration with the swirl valve repair is that I will likely need to perform this repair 3X during the life of my van. Using an MB repair facility for the repair will end up costing me 1/2 the purchase price of my van over it's lifetime. And this does not factor in any other repairs needed over the van's life.

By comparison, we've owned Honda's that do not fall anywhere near these kind of regular maintenance expenses. And these are more domesticated, non-commercial built vehicles.

Maybe see you next season for a swirl valve visit.
So buy a Honda 170" wheelbase 1-ton dually tall-roof euro-van that gets 20 mpg. :thumbup:

These costs make a Green Diesel Tune a bargain. Solve the issues, have more power on tap and reduce fuel consumption.
Why would someone care about fuel consumption of an "off-road racing" Sprinter?

DISCLAIMER: Not legal for sale or use on any emission controlled motor vehicles. NOT legal for sale on any vehicle in California, refer HERE for further details pertaining to CA. For off-road racing use only.
http://www.greendieselengineering.com/Returns.action

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
The situation concerning whether defeat devices are legal for racing is complex, in flux, and not in itself worth worrying about.

What is disgusting is how these guys hide behind a narrow and dubious loophole to pretend that they are a legitimate business. Not being stupid, they know perfectly well that they are running an illegal business, and that they are encouraging their customers to break the law as well. As their level of fear of the EPA increases over time, their advertising has accumulated more and more weasel words. The above-cited disclaimer used to say that their product was limited to "off road" use. now it is "racing".

This is about as sleazy as it gets.

They have good reason to worry. One of their competitors was recently fined $300K for selling defeat devices:

http://www.thedrive.com/news/23833/...roducing-and-selling-emissions-defeat-devices

Matt Foley

Down by The River
Hey, when he says something, it's for a reason. Just ask him. Now... what that reason is, has yet to be determined. We've got a few ideas though. LOL
The reason is that he is a 70-year-old hall monitor with too much time on his hands from living fat off of a bloated pension.

The situation concerning whether defeat devices are legal for racing is complex, in flux, and not in itself worth worrying about.

What is disgusting is how these guys hide behind a narrow and dubious loophole to pretend that they are a legitimate business. Not being stupid, they know perfectly well that they are running an illegal business, and that they are encouraging their customers to break the law as well. As their level of fear of the EPA increases over time, their advertising has accumulated more and more weasel words. The above-cited disclaimer used to say that their product was limited to "off road" use. now it is "racing".

This is about as sleazy as it gets.

They have good reason to worry. One of their competitors was recently fined $300K for selling defeat devices:

http://www.thedrive.com/news/23833/...roducing-and-selling-emissions-defeat-devices
It actually can get much worse than that. This company was fined 12 MILLION dollars by the EPA for doing that:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-harley-davidson-lawsuit-idUSKCN10T1JP

Nate.evans

Oh please....all of you harping on EPA crap act as if every modification you’ve done to vehicles has a dot sticker on it.... stop being so self-righteous...:rolleyes:

It’s also ironic that California has the largest tuner scene...which I’m sure all have street legal, DOT modifications everywhere.:rolleyes: Oh, but because it’s diesel, those people are evil :rolleyes:

24p

Oh please....all of you harping on EPA crap act as if every modification you’ve done to vehicles has a dot sticker on it.... stop being so self-righteous...:rolleyes:

It’s also ironic that California has the largest tuner scene...which I’m sure all have street legal, DOT modifications everywhere.:rolleyes: Oh, but because it’s diesel, those people are evil :rolleyes:
Don't you know? A majority of these folks here are angels and saints. :smirk:

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel

I break enough laws without getting sideways with the MVD (As it is called in New Messico).
And I would feel guilty robbing future generations of whatever clean air is left.
So...….Break all the laws you want, but don't cry when you get caught.

flman

I break enough laws without getting sideways with the MVD (As it is called in New Messico).
And I would feel guilty robbing future generations of whatever clean air is left.
So...….Break all the laws you want, but don't cry when you get caught.

Tell us about all the laws you break? :popcorn:

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile

Maybe because all or most of their customers are not in Cali?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom