Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Off Topic

Off Topic Nonrelated Sprinter things to say? This is the place to be (although certain threads that are politically or religiously charged will be moved to the DZ).
Subforums: Health The Funnies The Danger Zone

Old 02-16-2019, 12:36 AM   #21
The Grand Tour

Default Re: Any PCA members here?

For those that don't know the back story, Sabine's day job at that time was as a 'Ring Taxi driver for BMW at the Nurburgring Nordschleife. She was (and still is) also a successful racing driver and a driving coach. The British television show Top Gear hired her to coach Jeremy Clarkson to a 9:59 lap of the Nordschleife in a Jaguar. In frustration, she exclaimed that she probably could have gone faster than that in a van. So Top gear got her a 132-horsepower 4-cylinder diesel Ford Transit van, and took her up on it:

The Viper was not actually used for drafting as is implied by the video- the Viper was actually used to clear traffic, so that the van would not have to slow down for traffic. During Touristenfahrten, it's only legal to pass on the left, so the Viper driver helped to get slower drivers off the racing line, and the van was able to then follow the Viper through.

And BTW, Sabine was faster around the Nordschleife in that van, than I was in my wife's new BMW.

Last edited by The Grand Tour; 02-16-2019 at 01:18 AM.
The Grand Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:58 AM   #22
The Grand Tour

As I said previously, Sabine used to work for BMW as a 'Ring Taxi driver. BMW equipped her with a new BMW M5, paid for her fuel, paid for new tires every 10 laps, and paid for new brakes every 20 laps. When we ordered my wife's BMW Track Pack car, we originally planned to do a taxi ride with Sabine around the Nurburgring Nordschleife, but between the time we ordered my wife's car and taking delivery of it at the factory in Munich Germany, Sabine no longer worked for BMW, and had started her own gig out of the RSR (Ron Simmons Racing) shop in Nurburg. Sabine had to pay for her own Porsche 911 GT3 RS, all the upgrades (roll cage, harnesses, fire system, suspension, and brakes), her own fuel, and her own tires, so the price went WAY up. And the Porsche only had one passenger seat, not three. It was one of those once-in-a-lifetime trips, so we decided to book a lap for my wife with her anyway, at $860.

This video tells her story:

Last edited by The Grand Tour; 02-16-2019 at 01:35 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:00 AM   #23
The Grand Tour

This is a video of a skilled driver in a Porsche 911 GT3 trying to keep up with a white BMW M5 'Ring Taxi (that they later learned was being driven by Sabine Schmitz) during Touristenfahrten:

Sabine goes completely airborne off the jump at Pflanzgarten, and then again at about 8:20 in the video.

Last edited by The Grand Tour; 02-16-2019 at 01:20 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:42 PM   #24
The Grand Tour

ENMeyer, if you get a chance to visit Porsche in Stuttgart:

Porsche is located on three sides of a roundabout. Last time I checked, you could use the Porsche configurator to view it, by clicking on the 3D view and then selecting the alternate background. That view is from the perspective of where we had lunch outside the Boxenstopp Café, under the mirrored overhang of the Porsche Museum on the south side of the intersection. On the east side of the intersection is the Porsche Zentrum Stuttgart dealership, with the big red "PORSCHE" letters on the curved silver building. On the north side of the intersection, is the Porsche factory (the square building), which connects via a clear glass skybridge to the rest of the factory located behind Porsche Zentrum Stuttgart.

I highly recommend the Porsche Museum. In addition to the Boxenstopp Café, the Christophorus Steak House is located upstairs inside the museum. Parking is under the Porsche Museum. Just inside the front doors of the museum, is a counter where they do short-term rentals of Porsche vehicles, in case you want to try out something that interests you.

Here's some exterior pics we took:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141009_130754.jpg (63.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20141009_114928.jpg (53.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20141009_114932.jpg (63.2 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by The Grand Tour; 02-16-2019 at 10:26 PM.