Van Compass Stage 6 Installed

Lostgriz

I recently purchased the Van Compass Stage 6 kit for my 170 4x4. This kit is a two inch lift and ride improvement. It has adjustable Fox shocks in the rear and added leafs. In the front it has a two inch lift at the subframe and adds Fox shocks. I was going to have a recommended shop that is a couple hours away do the install, but they couldn't do it until mid January. Despite not having a garage and it being winter, I decided to do the install myself.

Of course the weather turned to crap right after I started. I worked on it over the course of four different days when the weather allowed. The instructions were pretty simple and straightforward. The quality of the components is excellent and it is a pretty straightforward install.

Upon completion, I was eager to get a test drive. Even at lower speeds around the neighborhood, the improvement in the ride was noticeable. My van is not built out yet, so fairly loud and has all the usual rattles. I was surprised to find that it rode significantly quiter with the new suspension. Even before I had the alignment done, it drove straight with no tenancy to pull; which surprised me. I called one dealer to get a price for an alignment and they quoted me $385.00. The second dealer, same distance away, quoted me $175.00. The dealer told me it was the best riding/driving sprinter he had driven, so that was a pretty good endorsement.

Ordered wheels and tires on Saturday, so really looking forward to getting those on to complement the look of the new suspension.

Matt

JFloFoto

Despite not having a garage and it being winter, I decided to do the install myself.
Yep, it's all doable in your driveway if you have some basic tools and time. An extra set of hands helps. I've installed pretty much every VC product by myself with zero prior experience in such things. Their instructions are great. Definitely worth the expenses and effort.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Mickyfin

Not familiar with their products.
I purchased a pair of flares for my 170" van from them, they were less than half the cost than flarespace flares, even including shipping. They are ok for what I paid, need to get them repaired a little when they are at the bodyshop for colour coding as they sustained a little damage on the corners during shipping.

Kauluwela

How was the steering shaft modification for extension? Any special tools needed? Looks like you need to grind out the shaft to fit a pin or some other retainer type clip. That step is the only one that has me wondering.

Steps 87-93 of instruction manual.

Last edited:

Lostgriz

It is easy. Getting the shaft off is a little tricky. Once you have the bolts out, the shaft kind of rotates over those nubs that you are grinding off, it doesn't slide off. Once I figured that out, it was pretty simple.

Fitz2

Lostgriz,

It’s hard to tell from the pictures. Are those 255/80/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers you have mounted? If so, curious about the clearance from the tire sidewall to the stock strut and your overall impression running a true 33” tire. Is yours a heavy van? If so, how much effect does this tire have on the vans performance?

Lostgriz

Lostgriz,

It’s hard to tell from the pictures. Are those 255/80/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers you have mounted? If so, curious about the clearance from the tire sidewall to the stock strut and your overall impression running a true 33” tire. Is yours a heavy van? If so, how much effect does this tire have on the vans performance?
Yes, 255/80r17 Ridge Grapplers. So, this is bad, but I can't give you a measurement on the clearance. It is one of the sizes that VC recommended and I wanted a narrower tire. My van is light now, as I am just starting. I am very happy with how they ride and how quiet they are. I know that clearance is good on everything, just can't give you a measurement. So far, super happy.

RockyRaccoon777

2020 144" 4x4
Yes, 255/80r17 Ridge Grapplers. So, this is bad, but I can't give you a measurement on the clearance. It is one of the sizes that VC recommended and I wanted a narrower tire. My van is light now, as I am just starting. I am very happy with how they ride and how quiet they are. I know that clearance is good on everything, just can't give you a measurement. So far, super happy.
What was your driver to go w/ a narrower tire? I'm currently contemplating 275 or 285s, but your comment has triggered me to investigate the downsides.

llilibel03

Woodjoints
Do you need to use spring compressors to install the kit? I've done a couple jobs using rented compressors and hate it.

Top Bottom