2017 4X4 DIY Touring Build

AEmedic

We bought a 2017 4X4 144 Passenger a few weeks ago.

Our intent is to set it up to comfortably travel with our two children (8 and 13). We won't be looking to camp in it, so much as, sight-see in style. This will be an over-built touring van.

- Bi-fold rear sofa
- Two captains chairs in front of that
- Removable table
- Victron Hybrid Solar/Lithium battery system
- Built-in large-ish TV with Xbox One X
- Refrigerator

Most builds I see are primarily for camping. I won't recreate the wheel, it will be unique. I'll just politely steal a little knowledge from all of you!

I'll be working with Access Vans to supplement my DIY.

Attachments

AEmedic

Ordered the RB Components Headliner Shelf. Here is a picture of what it will look like installed. Our seats and table will be similar.

Attachments

AEmedic

I ordered the electrical system from AM Solar: Deep in the woods 180W 200A 200AhLi 2000VA

This complete power system charges a single lithium battery with three different sources: solar, alternator and shore power. All charging and discharging systems are automatically regulated to optimize battery performance. This system can easily power LEDs, fans and cell phone chargers with DC, and on the AC side, shore power can go directly to the outlets when plugged in or power can be inverted from the battery when dry camping to cover loads like a blender, microwave or coffee pot.

What you get:
• All the components needed to make a complete system
• Installation manual with a full bill of materials
• Connection diagrams detailing the entire system
• 2x 90W Solar Panels with mounts and wire harnesses
• 30A Victron SmartSolar MPPT Charge Controller with Bluetooth Communication
• Victron BMV-712 Battery Monitor with Bluetooth Communication
• 200Ah Lithium System with AMS V4 Victron battery protections
• Integrated alternator charging with manual boost
• 2000VA Victron Multiplus pure sine inverter / 80A charger with hybrid 30A shore power
• Sub panel with multiple breakers and AC outlet
• 100A DC Battery Protect with remote disconnect prevents over discharge
• 6 position DC fuse block with DC outlet offering dual USB and standard 12V
• Shore power cord, inlet, lugs, heat shrink, cables, etc. All included

Attachments

AEmedic

nice looking seat. their website seems broken with respect to pricing so I have to ask: how much?
Thank you!

They don't list prices due to the long list of options for each seat. Base price is about $800 per captain's chair and $1100 for the bi-fold sofa.

AEmedic

I am getting ready to order insulation and I'm curious if anyone that has used Thinsulate on a high-roof 144" WB passenger, could tell me how much is enough to do everything above the floor?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
User Hein has posted about this, you might search for posts by him. You could PM him, as he sells thinsulate, and probably could give you a good estimate.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Can you get a larger than 180 amp solar panel. The solar charger is rated at 30 amps so why not install a single 300+ watt panel?

The sold Sprinter originally had a single 135 watt low voltage panel. That panel almost roduce enough power to run a 80 liter refrigerator in full sun. Changed that to a high voltage 205 watt panel and that almost always kept up with the refrigerator running.

Transit build has a 300 watt high voltage panel that is the same physical size as the Sprinter 205 watt panel. If I was building the van today the van would have the same physical size panel with the higher watt rating now available in that size panel.

Very little cost difference with today's $1/watt panel prices. Maybe $160 more cost for about double the output.

AEmedic

Can you get a larger than 180 amp solar panel. The solar charger is rated at 30 amps so why not install a single 300+ watt panel?

The sold Sprinter originally had a single 135 watt low voltage panel. That panel almost roduce enough power to run a 80 liter refrigerator in full sun. Changed that to a high voltage 205 watt panel and that almost always kept up with the refrigerator running.

Transit build has a 300 watt high voltage panel that is the same physical size as the Sprinter 205 watt panel. If I was building the van today the van would have the same physical size panel with the higher watt rating now available in that size panel.

Very little cost difference with today's $1/watt panel prices. Maybe $160 more cost for about double the output.

Thank you for the recommendations, I have learned so much since I joined this forum!

I do not wand to lose the ability to re-configure the solar panel layout for future changes, vents, etc. and honestly don't need too much more for our intended use.

RVCuisineScene

Thank you for the recommendations, I have learned so much since I joined this forum!

I do not wand to lose the ability to re-configure the solar panel layout for future changes, vents, etc. and honestly don't need too much more for our intended use.[/QUOTE

I agree with Dave get the larger panel, at some point you'll be glad you did.

AEmedic

Just got back from the dealer...when I was buying the van, I asked for the tow package to be installed. When I went to pick it up, it had a Curt hitch and the hacked in box tapped into the tail lights. That was a no-go. It took them two days, but, the factory harness, hitch and programming is complete.

AEmedic

I spent part of today taking out the headliner in preparation for wiring and insulation. I thought for sure that I could get it out without breaking the clips... That didn't happen. The big headliner panel that goes around the factory A/C would not slide forward off of the clips. I put everything I had into it but with that many clips I had to attempt to pop them out. It was 50/50, so, I need to find a source for the clips...

I've got most of what I need to finish the van, except:

Rear seats (ordered)
Front short seat bases (ordered)
Front seat swivels (ordered)
In-motion Dish system (ordered)

I'm sure there will be more odds and ends, but it has finally begun!

AEmedic

I was able to get the OEM roof rails installed today. In the next few days I'll install the Zamp solar panels and the Winegard T4 in-motion satellite dish and all the sound deadening.

AEmedic

I haven’t got the seats yet, they should be ready in the next few weeks. I’m trying to plan the spacing. The rear bi-fold sofa will likely be as close to the back doors as it will fit with it laid down. The two captains chairs need to be back far enough to utilize the TV mounted on the RB Components shelf. I also thought we might be able to have a removable table that could be mounted between the sofa and the captains chairs and also between the captains chairs and the front seats when they are swiveled around which would mean placing them centered between the sofa and the front seats.
Has anyone designed a layout similar to what I am proposing?

radair603

Aluminess Nerf Bars Installed.
Did you do the installation yourself? If so, how did it go? I am lusting after those same nerf bars.

I am getting ready to order insulation and I'm curious if anyone that has used Thinsulate on a high-roof 144" WB passenger, could tell me how much is enough to do everything above the floor?
I bought a 50’ x 5’ wide roll and had just enough for a 144” cargo van with a pair of rear CRL windows. We had about 3’ left of the 50’ roll.

AEmedic

Did you do the installation yourself? If so, how did it go? I am lusting after those same nerf bars.

I bought a 50’ x 5’ wide roll and had just enough for a 144” cargo van with a pair of rear CRL windows. We had about 3’ left of the 50’ roll.
I did do the install, it was pretty easy. I have the aux heat and that got in the way a bit but the heater housing flexed enough to work around.

Thanks for the intel on the Thinsulate!

AEmedic

I haven’t been able to do much, a broken hand will do that...

I started mocking up the solar and satellite. And since the short seat bases come primed and not painted, I sprayed some clear over the flat black.

AEmedic

Installed the factory short seat bases and Alpine Mechanism's swivels. The DS needs spacers for the swivel to work with the factory DS short seat base.

Here is the driver’s seat with the factory short base and the Alpine Mechanism’s swivel. You can see the 1” spacer.

I also included pictures of the PS.

Attachments

Top Bottom