Orton DIY Transit

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Miss Piggy (thanks Orion for the name) arrived at dealer today. Will post info here on things that may be useful to the members of this forum. I have a list of about 100 changes/improvements that will be made to the Transit conversion. Some of those should be of value to others. Thought this would be a better place to post the info. than the conversion thread or the danger zone.:thumbup:

Added 20151017 to work like a Sticky:

Dave has created his own website. It looks to be the same high quality as his conversion work (as would be expected). I for one will miss Dave's input at Sprinter-source. We hope that he continues to check in here on occasion.

Graphite Dave's New Transit Conversion Web Page is here:
http://ortontransit.info/

Safe travels. vic

Last edited by a moderator:

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
We can compare notes. My brother just got his diesel transit. Different uses, though.

Miss Piggy (thanks Orion for the name) arrived at dealer today. Will post info here on things that may be useful to the members of this forum. I have a list of about 100 changes/improvements that will be made to the Transit conversion. Some of those should be of value to others. Thought this would be a better place to post the info. than the conversion thread or the danger zone.:thumbup:
Maybe Sikwan will give you guys a Competition Write-ups Section?

I would appreciate it if you would start off with exactly what you ordered. Even better might be a couple lines about why you ordered what you did. That might provide a good beginning.

I've been looking around a bit. It seems the Transits can be ordered with full glass as a cargo model and a few other variations. I'm certain that the order system isn't as complex as MB likes to make ordering a Sprinter, but there must be some basic options which pretty much every new owner might want. Now that I think about it I'll create a Transit build sheet thread.

Here it is.

Ford Transit Options, Build Sheet Choices and Details
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=352184

vic

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
The Transit hasn't been put in service yet. Has the badging and is currently getting a passenger interior installed. They have found that it is cheaper to buy cargo sprinters and add interiors than to pull and throw away seats. So they have done the same with the transit. Then the wheelchair lift and off to daily service. A dodge/fiat is also expected soon.
Got a poor sprinter shot today. I'll post it over in the appropriate spot.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Maybe Sikwan will give you guys a Competition Write-ups Section?

I would appreciate it if you would start off with exactly what you ordered. Even better might be a couple lines about why you ordered what you did. That might provide a good beginning.

I've been looking around a bit. It seems the Transits can be ordered with full glass as a cargo model and a few other variations. I'm certain that the order system isn't as complex as MB likes to make ordering a Sprinter, but there must be some basic options which pretty much every new owner might want. Now that I think about it I'll create a Transit build sheet thread.

Here it is.

Ford Transit Options, Build Sheet Choices and Details
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=352184

vic
Sorry I did not see this post so a bit late answering it.

3.5 Ecoboost gas engine (wanted gas engine)
144" WB not extended
high roof
3.31:1 limited slip rear end (always bought my pickups with LS)
Slider and rear glass
9000 GVWR 250
Reverse park aid (backed into 3 things in Sprinter with $1200 tree damage once)
rear view camera (same as above)
trailer hitch
HD twin batteries
HD alternator
Short arm power heated mirrors (wanted the additional turn signals in housings)
AM/FM/CD radio
Cruise Control
Black wheels
Four upfitter switches ( Easy interface to vehicle 12 volt system)
Trailer brake controller
Remote Start (Wanted to be able to start van from sleeping bag to heat van in morning)
LED cargo lights
two additional keys
rear 12 volt power point
Privacy glass
Map lights
Sterling Grey Exterior ($150) and charcoal cloth seats (no charge)

Wanted gas engine to get rid of the diesel emission band-aids. Tried to make medium height work but could not without giving up my insulated floor. Did not buy either the interior upgrade or exterior upgrade packages. Did not buy any security packages or the overhead air bags

Very pleased with vehicle. IMO much better vehicle than 08 Sprinter. I now have 6400 miles on it without any problems and I got rid of my Sprinter fear that it would quit many miles from a service location. First oil/filter change at 5000 miles cost $21 where I supplied the 6 quarts bought from Costco for $29. Far cry from the $350 Sprinter service. Ford recommends 10,000 mile oil change but I will do 5,000 mile.

If MPG is your sole purchasing requirement then the Sprinter is still the best choice. I have averaged 16.5 mpg since new. It finally dawned on me that fuel economy is not that important for my application. I do like the major acceleration improvement that is there when you need it. Not used often.

The most important differences are the better controls, a gearbox that works, a vehicle that handles and it is quieter.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Miss Piggy now has a new floor. Took considerable time to get done. Object was to minimize noise, add insulation and give floor attachment points for the bench seats, table, sink cabinet and the refrigerator/shower cabinet. Also wanted the 80/20 (T-slots) extrusion frame to be thermally isolated from the van steel.

Step # 1: Removed Transit insulated vinyl pad and slider door plastic step cover.
Step # 2: Built 80/20 frame and temporarily placed it on bare floor.
Step # 3: Located and cut 4" x 4" air vent hole, 1 3/8" sink drain hole, 1 3/8" shower drain hole, 1 3/8" propane box drain hole, drilled two additional holes in floor to anchor 80/20. Used two existing floor holes as will as 8 perimeter D-ring tapped holes.
Step # 4: removed the 80/20 framework.
Step # 5: made the 7 perimeter plywood anchor aluminum angles.
Step # 6: Cut 4 pieces of 1/2" plywood for floor. Joint down centerline and another cross van just behind slider door opening.
Step # 7: Again reinstalled the 80/20 framework.
Step # 8: Located all the hole locations on the plywood where 80/20 bolts to the plywood and the bolt holes for angles bolted to D-ring bolt holes on the perimeter. From below located the air vent hole, the three 1 3/8" holes and drilled the four through the floor anchor bolt holes.
Step # 9: Cut and drilled all the holes in the plywood. Painted plywood. Installed the elevator bolts in plywood with polyurethane adhesive between bolt head and plywood.
Step # 10: Used adhesive to install 1/2" plywood strips at slider and back door thresholds. Used adhesive to install 1/2" plywood strip across van behind seats to support 80/20. Also added 1/2" plywood strips at several places where there was a long distance between the raised portions of the corrugated floor.
Step # 11: Filled between the floor corrugations with close celled foam.
Step # 12: Covered floor with 1/8" loaded vinyl for noise control and moisture barrier. Calked around perimeter of vinyl with elastic caulk. Drilled and cut holes in vinyl layer.
Step # 13: Installed plywood floor.
Step # 14: Installed 1 1/2" rigid insulation under cabinets and used "Great stuff" spray foam to fill any voids.
Step # 15. Filled 80/20 framework in walk area with bottom layer of 1" rigid insulation, middle layer of 1/8" Masonite and a top layer of 3/8" gym mat.

Took a lot of time but I now have insulated floor with the 80/20 thermally isolated from the van steel. Also have the bottom 80/20 framework for the cabinets and benches.

Last edited:

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Making some progress. Have most of the 80/20 installed. Will remove part of it to do the insulation. Couple of changes with this conversion.

1. All 80/20 will be thermally isolated with plywood between aluminum and van steel.
2. All the nuts are elastic stop nuts.
3. Because of tall roof I rotated the baskets 90 degrees and bought more and larger baskets.
4. Electrical panel cabinet will be double size of Sprinter.
5. Sink cabinet will have 80/20 frame.
6. No roll in nuts. Used two hole economy nuts with 5/16" set screw in one hole and other hole for attachment. Much easier to position and hold in place.

Negative of using carriage bolts is to remember all fasteners that need to be installed before end access is lost. I have assembled and unassembled to get them all in. Carriage bolts with flat and angle connectors is very robust. The wall brackets for the upper cabinet are temporary so I can measure what is needs to be fabricated out of 14 ga, SS.

The method of hanging the upper cabinets is shown in one picture and the ceiling centerline bolt hole is shown. Ceiling will be flat so spacer required to lower it on van centerline.

Attachments

Last edited:

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Looks very good Dave. You passed the learning curve so this time I am sure it is easier. On my build I did not use any Loctite and need to tighten some screws on my sofa bed, this time I will used it.

George.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Looks very good Dave. You passed the learning curve so this time I am sure it is easier. On my build I did not use any Loctite and need to tighten some screws on my sofa bed, this time I will used it.

George.
"this time" Are you building a second one? You need to build another one to justify the new large shop you are building.

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
"this time" Are you building a second one? You need to build another one to justify the new large shop you are building.
I used a wrong set of words, I am done. Large garage will be useful to finish still long tasks list on the Sprinter.

George.

mojogoat

Great job!!! Have you noticed how much your floor construction with the MLV has quieted the van? I used it also around the wheel wells sandwiched between foam.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Great job!!! Have you noticed how much your floor construction with the MLV has quieted the van? I used it also around the wheel wells sandwiched between foam.
The floor makes a major difference. Van was fairly quiet with its stock vinyl floor that has a fiber mat backing. After removal of the factory floor it was noisy. The new floor makes van quiet enough that I am not going to do any more additions strictly for noise suppression. Do not know what part of the noise reduction can be attributed to the MLV. My guess is it was probably not needed. Does make for a good vapor barrier. All the layers of the floor contribute to the noise reduction. Filled areas between the corrugations with 1/2" closed cell foam, then the layer of 1/8" MLV, next the 1/2" plywood. The 1 1/2" thick 80/20 framework bolts to the plywood. Between the 80/20 extrusions there is 1" of rigid insulation, a layer of 1/8" Masonite (soon to be replaced by 1/16" plastic) and finally the top floor layer that is 3/8" ribber gym mat. The areas under the cabinets (about 1/2 the floor) have 1 1/2" rigid insulation. Hard to determine how much the MLV contributes.

I will get a lot more noise suppression after I insulate the walls and roof. Will paint the walls and roof with hollow ceramic balls mixed into the paint. The ceiling will be filled with rigid insulation with the gaps filled with spray can foam. That will be covered with Reflectix. Then there will be an air gap between the bottom of the ribs and the top of the hollow polycarbonate ceiling. There will be 1/2" of Aerocel closed cell foam between the ceiling and the bottom of the ribs covering the whole van ceiling. Apparently Aerocel is also a noise suppressant as well as insulation. The walls will get two layers of 1" Aerocel covered by Reflectix with a 2" air gap to the polycarbonate wall covering. The exception to that is the two rear window indentations will only have 1/2" of Aerocel covered by Reflectix and indoor/outdoor carpet. Can not have thick insulation at each end of bed platform if I want a 74" long bed. Above cab headliner will have two layers of 1" Aerocel

Result should be quiet enough for a person with tinnitus.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Update.

Completed most of the 80/20 framework. Built temporary 27" wide rear bed platform across back, two temporary seats on wheel well 80/20 and a temporary sink top. Needed for a 5 night stay in van that I just returned from.

Worked out very well. Nice to now have a 74" long bed instead of the 70" long bed that was in the Sprinter. Did discover one thing I did not plan on. There is a 2" x 27" x 5" deep hole at each end of the bed caused by the two 2 1/2" x 70" x 25" REI self inflating camp pads I use for a "mattress". My feet drop into the hole instead of sticking straight out. On head end I just stuff an extra pillow in the hole.

The location of the upper cabinet lower front 80/20 was correct. I can sit up in bed without hitting the upper cabinet. Roof height of tall roof Transit does allow deeper upper cabinets and allows fold down bed platforms to meet at van centerline on top of the table. The open shelf at bottom of the sink cabinet worked very well for the storage of the CampChef Ranger II two burner stove.

The foldable Xrooter bike fits between the back doors and the bed platform. Just rotate the handle bars 90 degrees and bungy cord bike to table leg. Now would not need an expensive foldable bike. Just need a bike that I could rotate the handle bar.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Pictures

Ugly wall supports for 3/8" upper cabinet floor are temporary. Will be replaced with 3/4" x 3" wood board that will also have the holes to support the ends of my curtain rods for the indoor tent experiment. Tent will be insulated with top just under the upper cabinets and sides down to the bed platform.

Had to raise the Ford electrical loom up higher on wall to get it inside the upper cabinet. Again used Panduit wireway to replace the stock Ford cover.

Bench picture shows the Broan 750 watt baseboard heater in the center opening.

Attachments

Last edited:

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Attached is the list of 100 changes/improvements I will make on Transit build. Basic layout will remain the same since that worked well for my use. List might be helpful to others.

Attachments

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
Orton, glad to see your new Transit build in action. Show the Sprinter guys it can be done, and hopefully done on a more reliable vehicle. Must have been heartbreaking to have to let you last build go?

Top Bottom