Thinnest mattress that's actually decent?

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
I use a wedge foam topper on top of the foam mattress I use (see previous post). It's 5" thick at the top sloped to 1" at the bottom. My setup is extremely comfortable and exceeded my expectations for an Amazon mattress purchase.

Last edited:

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
Has anyone used just 3" of a latex mattress topper for their sleep setup? ]

We are using a Tempur-Pedic 3” mattress topper we purchased from Costco for under $200. It is much firmer than the spongy Novaform toppers they carry in our local Costco. We liked it so much we purchased one for the house. I do not see it currently listed on the Costco website but they do occasionally have it both online and in our local stores.

I did end up adding some thin camp pads under the topper for my wife. She could eventually feel the bed panels when sleeping on her side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I am going to replace my 5" lucid matress after a few years of full timing. My next one is going to be 3" of firm/high density open cell foam. With 2" of latex medium density on top. Depending on conditions I may put 1/2" of memory foam as a separate topper.

The memory foams and low density latex need to me limited to 2" total of the buildup typically. They break down over time, which can make the mattress saggy.

travisap

2008 Dodge Sprinter Campervan
We also have to cut 17" off the end (where our feet would go). That will be part of our "bed extender" which functions like a slide-out cutting board. This gave us 17 more inches in the kitchen/living area.

SD26

2012 NCV3 3500
Has anyone used just 3" of a latex mattress topper for their sleep setup? We're really trying to avoid memory foam (it stinks really bad and might not last).
I'm using an IKEA latex mattress topper on one of their slatted bases. I have been happy with it with my limited use.

gs850gx

Like billintomahawk and msnomer I also use foam from thefoamfactory.com and am very pleased with their HQ line. For very firm, 3 inches of their Lux HQ will probably work. For firm 2 inches of the Lux HQ under 2 inches of 36 HD. For medium firm 4 inches of 36 HD. If you want plush, that is harder to do and stay thin without bottoming but even an inch of the Lux HQ under a plush mattress will help prevent bottoming.

B

billintomahawk

Like billintomahawk and msnomer I also use foam from thefoamfactory.com and am very pleased with their HQ line. For very firm, 3 inches of their Lux HQ will probably work. For firm 2 inches of the Lux HQ under 2 inches of 36 HD. For medium firm 4 inches of 36 HD. If you want plush, that is harder to do and stay thin without bottoming but even an inch of the Lux HQ under a plush mattress will help prevent bottoming.
This is so true in my experience.
Your body will adjust to any mattress but at what cost?

Cheap foam or old foam will degrade in a season or two(I'm a snowbird and a summer camper) and you will be looking for something different. If you think about the foam in your Mercedes drivers seat you will start to understand good foam and how it stands up. Give it a feel.

IMHO you can buy a cheap mattress but it will end up at the landfill in a few years. A custom mattress is an investment like tires or a roof rack or an awning.

Take a long look at how the Foam Factory makes their futon pads. The foam is wrapped and covered and the covering is zip off. Basically they can do thus in any custom size with any foam you choose. As thickness goes down stiffness can be increased to balance your needs.
Their techs are women and they know their products.

https://www.thefoamfactory.com/mattress/foamfutonmattress.html

You get what you pay for.

bill

Last edited by a moderator:

bikebum

The mattress industry has duped Americans into thinking they need thick mattresses. In European huts and pensions, 3-4" foam on wood slab is totally comfortable. In my van, I have a 4" foam from foambymail.com Their firmer one was too firm for me, so I got the HD36-HQ and love it. It's possible that 3" would have sufficed, but I already had covers for 4". We weigh 135 and 160 lb. Larger folk might prefer the firmer.
I purchased a 5" Memory Foam "Firm" Mattress via Amazon, company name Linenspa. I wake up tossing and turning because my shoulders and hips hurt. I weight 165#, wife 130#. Hips are sore in the morning. Not good for biking trips.

As for your HD36-HQ, does this get stiff/harder in the cold weather? We do take the van up the hill in cold temps...

Thanks! I've got to try something new before we leave for spring break.

mtncrawler

I've had the 6" Lucid firm mattress for a couple years and finally replaced it. It was just too firm for my liking.
https://www.amazon.com/LUCID-Inch-Memory-Foam-Mattress/dp/B008S5AZRM?th=1

On a whim, I looked at American Furniture Warehouse (from range colorado outfit) and bought a 5" queen sofa sleeper mattress. More plush for sure but we'll see if it's too soft as I use it more. Feels much better out of the box. It would probably be easy enough to make it firmer - rather than making the Lucid more plush (without going to a much thicker mattress overall)
https://www.afw.com/534-queen-sleeper-mattress

radair603

Lots of options in this thread! Options are good so I'll add one more. I bought a 4" medium Ultra-foam from Albany Foam at www.albanyfoam.com.

I called in to order (there was an on-line catalog but it said not to place orders at that time) and the guy said they don't really sell retail but then took my order. I received it the next day! The stuff cuts great with an electric carving knife (it was scribed and cut to match the curve of the rear doors). A friend said he used a hacksaw blade but I didn't try that.

It is more comfortable than my bed at home and I probably could have done fine with a 3" thickness.

bikebum

I've had the 6" Lucid firm mattress for a couple years and finally replaced it. It was just too firm for my liking.
https://www.amazon.com/LUCID-Inch-Memory-Foam-Mattress/dp/B008S5AZRM?th=1

On a whim, I looked at American Furniture Warehouse (from range colorado outfit) and bought a 5" queen sofa sleeper mattress. More plush for sure but we'll see if it's too soft as I use it more. Feels much better out of the box. It would probably be easy enough to make it firmer - rather than making the Lucid more plush (without going to a much thicker mattress overall)
https://www.afw.com/534-queen-sleeper-mattress

Any Updates? I may order and go pick up.

PhilipE

This is what I am using in my build.

I have one mattress right now. I sleep on my side. It has more than enough support for that. As far as heat lose. I haven't finished the build and camped yet so I can't say on that. Still need to pickup the second one. In my build I am making a sofa/bed combo unit.

BTW you can order custom size threw them.

mtncrawler

Any Updates? I may order and go pick up.
Well, better than the firm 6" Lucid, but...

I find it for the most part more comfortable but since I'm a side sleeper - I found that I actually bottomed it out just a bit and could feel some spots in the morning (hip mainly). SO, I've gone full experimental. I cut the "firm" memory from the Lucid mattress - and added it to the bottom of the AFW mattress. Ugh. Have not slept on it yet, but it feels better just quick testing on the floor. My GF's camper has some firm cushions (like 4") and we threw a 2" memory topper on it - and it is SO comfortable. I didn't think it would be that hard to replicate, so I may throw in the towel on my current setup and contact Four Wheel Camper to find out what foam they use.

We'll see. Bottom line, so far better, but jury is still out.

EDIT: I think I tried to go cheaper and thinner and it's come back to haunt me. :)

borabora

I have done 4 long trips in my Prius with seats removed and space for me (6.2", 190 lbs) to stretch out flat on a bed platform.
2" futon -- NO!
4" upholstery foam -- some nights were okay, some pretty bad
self-inflating 2" camping pad and 4" upholstery foam -- not bad at all but the reduction in headroom became serious

I bought a Sprinter and am building it out. Comfortable sleeping has been my number 1 priority. Built a short queen platform and using a 8" Zinus deluxe short queen mattress now (Amazon). As comfortable as my bed room mattress. I doubt it will last many seasons but that's okay.

Last edited:

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
Try this German company, they are big with the sailboat community as well as RV people.

They had a dealer in South Carolina and maybe still do, reach out and see, but basically it allows a thin mattress with this base underneath that gives a full mattress effect.

Last edited:

Top Bottom