Tesla Cybertruck

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
Originally I was very pro electric car, but the more I learn, it has its limitations, maybe fine for a car with a fixed weight and range in a warm, snow free climate, but everything else seems to be a fail.

Anyways this so called truck is going to be nothing more that an oversized grocery getter.
The following will lower your range:
Frigid temps
Driving in snow
Towing (also uses battery)

Hauling
Off Road
Plowing snow (also uses battery)
Sanding application (also uses battery)
Night time lighting

Most of the above will take away 40% of your range.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-battery-range-sub-zero-snowy-conditions/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cvNfmL7XQg&t=0s

ptheland

2013 144" low top Passgr
There's definitely a place for electric cars today. If you commute 40 or 50 miles a day and have a place to recharge over night, an electric car can be very useful. 200 miles of range is plenty for that, even if you forget to recharge from time to time.

But for a truck? A working truck? Those need power - plenty of power. You can get that power in an electric vehicle, but not for very long. There just isn't enough power density in today's batteries to provide both high power and long range. You can have one or the other, but not both. Liquid fuels (gas or diesel) are the best source of that power density today.

I could see an electric yard mule working pretty well. You don't need range, and you're always close to charging equipment. The lack of maintenance could save a bunch of money.

I could see an electric yard mule working pretty well. You don't need range, and you're always close to charging equipment. The lack of maintenance could save a bunch of money.
:thumbup:
We had those in the specialty alloys mining and metals plant where I worked in the late 1960's.

I believe that the equipment dated from the 1940's and 1950's... maybe earlier. Electric vehicles aren't new. More efficient controls and battery technology is what is new.

:2cents: vic

johnshmit

With that truck you can tow a huge diesel-generator trailer. if you lose it, truck will have enough range to come back and pull it out of a ditch.

Top Bottom