Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Roadtrek

Old 08-23-2017, 07:56 PM   #1
Moto Vita

Default Ecotrek 200 failures

The dealer just called me and told me that they're replacing my second and third Ecotrek 200 Lithium pack (my CS Adventurous only has two of them), all in the first six months of ownership.
Is anyone else having this much trouble, or am I just lucky?
Moto Vita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:58 AM   #2
Lenfagan

Default Re: Ecotrek 200 failures

I have a 2016 CS with Ecotrek 400. I have had for 14 months with no electrical issues. I do not have VoltStart and only use 1 module at a time when needed.
Lenfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:10 PM   #3
MrB

I have a year old CS with 4 ecotrek. 2 have been replaced under warranty. System now working great so no complaints. (Never was a real issue for me since I don't think I ever needed more than 2 ecotrks of power between charges.)
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 04:27 AM   #4
DIYpilot

What were the symptoms of your failure?

I have a 2017 e-trek with eco trek 800. Doing well so far near as I can tell. I normally turn on all four modules at once.
DIYpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DIYpilot For This Useful Post:
TooMuchHair (04-07-2018)
Old 08-26-2017, 04:56 AM   #5
Moto Vita

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYpilot View Post
What were the symptoms of your failure?

I have a 2017 e-trek with eco trek 800. Doing well so far near as I can tell. I normally turn on all four modules at once.
Two of my three were obvious, completely dead, the third one I thought was working fine but the dealer told me it has a "communication error" and needs to be replaced.
I thought I had , and still suspect, a problem with the solar controller, but hopefully having good batteries will get everything working properly, we'll see. I've never had a fully functional electrical system in my six months of ownership so I don't have a very good reference point.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:39 AM   #6
Lenfagan

I only use 1 module at a time on my 16 CS with EcoTrek 400. Normally just running refrigerator and maybe fan. Even if using diesel Alde. I watch the volts and switch if goes down. The RT Battery Guide says: Turn on only the batteries you need, and turn them off when you don't need them. In other words, if all you need is to run some lights, you only need one EcoTrek Power Battery powered up. If you need a high power appliance, turn on more batteries as you need them.
• Turn off the EcoTrek Power Batteries when you don't need them.
• Turn on the EcoTrek Power Batteries when you want to charge them or use them.
Lenfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 04:20 PM   #7
MrB

I only use one ecotrek at a time for low power items such as lights, fan, fridge, diesel alde etc. I'l put on a second one if using microwave, AC or electric cook top.
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:02 PM   #8
XLent

I was told by Roadtrek live chat, my 2016 800 amp lifepos would charge via solar with battery switches on, and the battery disconnect switch off (battery power to the coach disconnected). When looking at the solar charger panel; it shows a charge going to the cells. We live in central Texas and get a good portion of sun daily.

Could and would anyone speak from experience re the validity, and the advisability of this practice? At the present time, We only have the push button, four indicator lights, for battery state, or level of charge.
XLent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:37 AM   #9
Moto Vita

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLent View Post
I was told by Roadtrek live chat, my 2016 800 amp lifepos would charge via solar with battery switches on, and the battery disconnect switch off (battery power to the coach disconnected). When looking at the solar charger panel; it shows a charge going to the cells. We live in central Texas and get a good portion of sun daily.

Could and would anyone speak from experience re the validity, and the advisability of this practice? At the present time, We only have the push button, four indicator lights, for battery state, or level of charge.
I'm under the impression that the solar controller output goes to the batteries whether they are turned on or not, I'll see if I can verify that.
You might want to buy the MT-50 meter that Roadtrek techs suggested to me. It's available from several online sellers. It's not expensive and plugs right in to the controller and gives both charging rate and voltage from the panels and controller. It seems almost criminal that Roadtrek doesn't spend the extra 20 bucks to include it on a six figure RV.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moto Vita For This Useful Post:
XLent (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 07:58 AM   #10
irvingj
2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)

Me, too. I have an SS Agile (not an ECO model) with 300W of solar and an MPPT controller.

Got tired of having to open the little cabinet door to look at & interpret the little LEDs on the controller to verify charging, etc... and that was only qualitative, no quantitative readouts at all.

Got a separate meter, mounted it on the outside. Much better! Not sure how accurate it is, but still better. Pressing the little red arrow buttons will cycle it through several readouts. Well worth the <$50, very easy to connect using a phone-type plug-in cord. (PS- it's dark outside now, so not much activity....)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06360.jpg (73.6 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06361.jpg (66.4 KB, 117 views)
XLent (10-09-2017)