Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Miscellaneous > Comments, Suggestions, & Problems with the Forum

Old 09-26-2006, 12:32 PM   #11
Zach Woods
Super Moderator

Default Re: Photos

Howdy Llarry (& others) -

Try a photo I posted as an attachment a couple of days ago via the following link: http://sprinter-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13

I've got a machine using the same OS & IE versions and I see the recently attached photos by Seek A-OK.

Hey Seek -

Are you using the manage attachments button to attach your pictures or are you doing it some other way?

How about the following picture, Llarry:

Just trying to help solve this mystery!

Zach
Zach Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:59 PM   #12
sikwan
06 T1N Can

Thanked 1,843 Times in 843 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Woods View Post
Are you using the manage attachments button to attach your pictures or are you doing it some other way?
Yes.

1. I used either the manage attachment button up top (paperclip icon) or I hit the button labeled manage attachments at the bottom. A window appears and I select up to 10 files and hit the upload.

2. I then use the pulldown menu of the paperclip icon on top to insert my files that I just uploaded.

Zach, I can't see the image at the bottom. It's some long link that wraps around.

Edit: I actually see it now, after I download it.
sikwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:47 PM   #13
Zach Woods
Super Moderator

Hi Seek -

Let me try some of the attachment management options that you mentioned to see how they work for me and how they show up for Llarry.

Zach
wallpaper_1_800x600.d3d3Lm1lcmNlZGVzLWJlbnouY29t-VGhlIFNwcmludGVyIEpBTUVTIENPT0suIEF0IGhvbWUgaW4gdGh
Old 09-26-2006, 02:12 PM   #14
hkpierce
'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass

Thanked 1,531 Times in 698 Posts

Quote:
Hi Seek -

Let me try some of the attachment management options that you mentioned to see how they work for me and how they show up for Llarry.

Zach
Attachment 54
Zach: whatever it is that is in the hyperlink [above it shows up a Attachement 54, but in my version of what I see of your post it is actually a long string of characters - the "copy/paste" and "quote" function did not bring over a true representtation of what I see], I can't see it or get it to open.

Update: I had success in launching the copied version from my reply as opposed to launching from your post. Must be a string length problem.

Last edited by hkpierce; 09-26-2006 at 02:15 PM. Reason: typo
hkpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 05:03 PM   #15
Llarry

Quote:
Hi Seek -

Zach
Your pics do not display for me when I am reading the thread but I see them fine when I click on them, Zack.

Seek's most recent tries in posts number 8 and 10 of this thread do not display for me -- still just Xs...

I appreciate soflo316 chiming in, too -- misery loves company. :D

Speaking of attachments, here is a pdf with some 2007 specs. Testing 1 2 3, 3 2 1...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 318LWB_Cab.pdf (147.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 09-26-2006, 05:22 PM   #16
Zach Woods
Super Moderator

Howdy All -

I am going to experiment w/ attached vs. inline images as much as anything so I can try to understand how they work.

I can see, I think, all images that I should be able to, and I can click on and then view all images that should work that way.

It looks like the download filename from my test was overlong and that was causing problems so I have created a version with a shorter name which I think is going to work better.

I do notice that there appear to be two different ways to get images connected to a post. The first is the paperclip icon at the top of the message edit window. This allows documents including images to be attached and then it looks like a link can be put inline into the message that will bring up that image. Then there is the "mountain" icon which allows an http addressable image to be connected to a document.

Here goes . . .

Zach

Westy & West Point sm.JPG

wallpaper_1_800x600.jpg

Old 09-26-2006, 05:28 PM   #17
Zach Woods
Super Moderator

Hello Again -

When I look back at the message that I just posted I can see inline all but the second to last image (which I can view by clicking on the link that is listed and then I am brought to that image in my browser window).

It looks like hk was correct that string length was making it necessary for vBulletin to do a link rather than including an image inline. When I shortened the unruly download file name of the same image it now appears to work A-OK.

Maybe the folks that are having trouble joined/ set up their membership at a time when the settings were different and they are suffering from those old/ faulty settings.

Llarry -

Would you be willing to try setting up a new membership for yourself and then looking at one/ some of the images that you have trouble with via your current membership. If the new membership works then we can figure out what to do about the two separate memberships then.

Zach
Old 09-26-2006, 05:56 PM   #18
hkpierce
'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass

Thanked 1,531 Times in 698 Posts

Zach:

with regard to Post 16 in this thread,

1) as a guest I can see the Sprinter-Forum image. How did you do that?

2) as a guest, I hit http://sprinter-forum.com/forum/atta...4&d=1159274813, which sent me to the log-in site. After logging on, the graphic showed up, but it then would not let me go anyway else on the site. When I backed-out, I was no longer logged-in.
hkpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:25 PM   #19
Zach Woods
Super Moderator

Howdy hk -

Re: the Sprinter Forum logo image - I didn't do it, Seek did (or the vBulletin software did it for him). That image has to be publicly available so even non-members that visit the site can see it. The images that I post should, I am guessing, only be available to actual signed in members. I chose the images that I did to test at least a small subset of the settings on accounts like Llarry's.

We might be able to track this problem down further based on which images he can see.

On your #2, I think that is just a quirk of vBulletin. It is a set of circumstances that shouldn't happen all that often (a user visits the site, doesn't log in, clicks on an image to view it, logs in as requested, views the image, then uses the browser back button to go back where they were and discovers they are logged out). I think in most cases folks will have been logged in and doing other things before they click on a link to view an image.

Zach
Old 09-26-2006, 06:58 PM   #20
sikwan
06 T1N Can

Thanked 1,843 Times in 843 Posts

Not logged in:

I see the same thing as everyone else. 3 links and the sprinter-forum logo.

Logged in:

I see everything except the 2nd to the last. It comes up as a link and when I click it, I'm asked to either download it or just open it. I chose open and then I can see the picture.

Llarry:

If you don't mind, we can do either of two things...

1. Sign up for another account.

You'll have to use another email account due to how vB is setup now. I can change that for this purpose if you want to reuse your current email.

2. I delete the current one and you reregister.

Let me know what you want to do...sikwan@yahoo.com

On a side note, I don't know what you (Llarry) are doing, but I got two database errors this morning at 9:04PST and 9:36PST. :D

Just an FYI:

llarry: was created Sept 21, 2006, 8hrs, 11min.
seekman (my test account): was created Sept 22, 2006, 5hrs, 42min.
soflo316: was created Sept 22, 2006, 5hrs, 45min.

It seems as though the time to register is inconsistent with the errors we're seeing. Let me see what tech support says. From the short search that I've done at vB, it is happening.
sikwan is offline   Reply With Quote