Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Roadtrek

Old 04-07-2018, 06:50 AM   #51
Moto Vita

Default Re: Ecotrek 200 failures

Had a long talk with the main man at RT today. I'm told there's a whole new program for batteries and their management systems. Now I just have to hope my one remaining Ecotrek holds up until I get back to WA, then I have to go through the headache of getting the dealer to work on it, hopefully for the last time.
Moto Vita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:42 PM   #52
XLent

MV, please keep us in the loop.
XLent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:49 PM   #53
TooMuchHair

Hi Moto Vita, I have been watching the evolution of Roadtrek's E-Trek since I was asked to get out from under the one that i was laying under at the Hershey RV show in 2013. Ha At that time it was a 24VDC system. They have really been trying to get it right, and I believe they eventually will.

The reason for my interest isn't to buy an ETrek but to build the best version I can with my 2015 3500EXT. I have been comparing the progress of RT and ARV against years of my own experience operating cross country trucks and heavy equipment and have frequent discussions with my adult son who is a EE and software engineer. My patience and desire to have the best possible system exceeds my desire to be done quickly only to discover I should have taken a different path.....I totally enjoy the research/design phase of these projects.

Last month, while at the 2018 Work Truck Show in Indianapolis I had the chance to talk to a rep from Volta Systems, the 48 vdc guys that ARV is using now and also with an engineer that has worked for Xantrex for many years. So in the course of our very long discussion (Xantrex engineer), I asked him if he was familiar with Roadtrek and asked why they had designed their system using the 200 amp Ecotrek switchable module approach? Because I just couldn't wrap my head around why they would do it that way, and wouldn't that be harder on the lithium cells by increasing the odds of overtaxing individual banks. He basically told me that he was very aware about RT's issues because Xantrex had been approached by RT to help eliminate the problems they were having.
So he had thoroughly examined the way RT had designed their system with the "expandable" modules and concluded that Xantrex would not be involved without a complete re-design.

Just a heads up, like I said I think Jim Hammill and RT are a good bunch of people and will get this figured out. If it was me I would take advantage of Jim's easy access (he posts his direct email address on the RT FB page pretty often) and deal directly with him at this point and if you can, show a willingness to go back to the factory at Kitchener, Ontario. All guesswork will be eliminated if you go that route.

Good luck, please keep us posted.
TooMuchHair is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TooMuchHair For This Useful Post:
Mr.Mark (07-23-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 03:12 AM   #54
Moto Vita

As I understand it more even distribution of power and load within the lithium pack is the core of the coming updates. Also some changes as to how the inverter is used, and probably more. I get the impression that this is a very recent development and maybe not fully fleshed out yet.
It never made sense to me that the only way to run my fridge on AC power, when plugged in, was to turn on the inverter. Now they plan to switch to DC power only to run the fridge.
I'm not interested in a trip to Ontario, I think I'd walk away from the vehicle first, which is certainly in my mind.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moto Vita For This Useful Post:
TooMuchHair (04-08-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 03:45 AM   #55
Moto Vita

Tomorrow is my appointment to drop off my RT at the dealer for new batteries and updates so hopefully in the next few weeks I'll get to use my RV again.
I'm surprised that I don't hear of anyone else having the problems I'm having.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:28 AM   #56
Mr.Mark

Moto Vita, how did it go with your E-Trek battery replacement? Your experience will sway me greatly if I decide to add a class B along with my class A. I have Lithium Ion batteries in my Prevost conversion, at 3.5 yrs. and 45,000 miles, they have performed wonderfully. The batteries are expected to last at least 10 yrs. minimum.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:53 AM   #57
Moto Vita

Things have not gone well thus far. The dealer called me after having the van for a month and said it was ready. After being dropped off to pick it up I learned that they had replaced the batteries but not performed the wiring upgrades, they had also not addressed some other non electrical issues that were on the work order. The service adviser did not have an explanation. Later phone calls resulted in the dealer claiming they couldn't get the tech help they needed from Roadtrek and Roadtrek claiming the dealer didn't initiate a claim that would have got them the necessary help, none of which explains the dealer telling me the van was repaired and ready for pickup.
Now I'm waiting for a call from the dealer telling me when I can take the van back to finish the repairs. The answer to the question you're thinking is that it's 300 miles to another dealer and I don't know if they will be any better, or even willing to help me.
I would not recommend buying a Roadtrek product unless you're confident that you have a convenient, reliable, service oriented, dealer to take care of you. I can pretty well guarantee you that there will be issues to deal with.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moto Vita For This Useful Post:
Mr.Mark (07-23-2018), XLent (07-23-2018)
Old 11-06-2019, 01:09 PM   #58
Moto Vita

Just thought I'd post a follow up report. I've passed the one year mark without experiencing any Ecotrek related problems, which is fortunate since I no longer have warranty coverage and don't know where I'd get any support.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Moto Vita For This Useful Post:
Boxster1971 (11-06-2019), irvingj (11-07-2019), TooMuchHair (11-06-2019), XLent (11-14-2019)