2007 Sprinter with no cruise control or ABS

markomarkovich

Hey guys. Currently on the road in my sprinter van and I’m Getting a bit sick and tired of having no cruise control. My mechanic told me it seems that the battery is not getting full power which makes these lights come on since the system won’t operate without a fully charged battery. He changed the alternator and we had the same problem. He then told me to change the wire going from the battery to the alternator. No luck.

I’m currently on a 15-20k mile trip around the US with my girlfriend.(She’s currently driving while I took a picture of the dash). Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing the problem. The lights have been on for two years now since I bought the van. When I first got the van the lights would go on and off randomly and I had use of the cruise control and ABS and now they just stay on full time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
What codes are stored or pending?

Without codes you are proverbially p!ssing into the wind.

Keith.

markomarkovich

He did not tell me which codes I was throwing. I will take the van to a MB Dealer in Palm Springs in a few days. Hoping to only get charged an hour for them to look at it and diagnose it. But I guess I can’t get any help without the codes. Bummer. Will a OBD2 scanner at autozone tell me the codes I need or do I need a special MB scanner to tell me? Never know with these MB vehicles.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
A free scan at AZ may tell you what is up but failing this then it will have to be a Sprinter specific scanner.

From reading posts on the forum I would hazard a guess you have a failed wheel speed sensor (but may be wrong without more info).

Keith.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Other things that can cause this are wiring damage, a mis-seated brake light bulb, bad brake pedal switch.

Quick thing to try: with key out, engine off:
crawl into the pedal area
press the brake pedal with your hand
note the "stalk" that follows the pedal down a bit ... that's what triggers the brake lights.
With the pedal depressed, gently-but-firmly pull that stalk out until it stops.
Gently release the pedal.

You have just "reset" the brake switch ... this can occasionally cure a variety of ills (no Cruise Control, for one).
But usually that switch doesn't trigger the wheel-speed warning light.

--dick

Buckyburrows

I had a similar problem and it ended up as a faulty esp sensor. It picks up a yaw signal and somehow it would occasionally trigger and esp code. When that happened no cruise and no turn signals. ESP module is under the drivers seat. Lots of diagnostic time before they figured it out
And usually the part is not in stock

Buckyburrows

Also my scan gauge would not pick up the codes or reset any that did pop up. I now have a icarsoft scanner and it seems to be the ticket. But you almost need to be a coder to get to all the possible issues

Henknoordermeer

Maybe it's just an faulty/dirty ABS wheel speed pickup sensor?

Of course, you could try resetting the modules by removing power for a while. Either unplug the module itself, or disconnect the battery (you'll also lose any settings and anti-theft codes in radio if applicable!). Or use a OBD ABS compatible scanner to find which ABS sensor is faulty.

That combination of 3 dash warnings always disables Cruise Control on my T1N. I assume the same applies to the NCV3 models.

Clearing DTC's, battery disconnecting, etc. will do nothing if the conditions triggering the dash warnings aren't corrected.

There is some history of wheel sensor problems in the NCV3 Sprinters. A generic OBDII won't do much for troubleshooting this. You need to access the ESP and/or transmission module for the DTC's.

Some description of the T1N Driver Safety Systems are here.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13202

The NCV3 systems are similar as to basics.

:cheers: vic

Top Bottom