2014 4 cyl intermittent LM

Sunbrother

This is a 4 cylinder crew van.

It has 58,000 miles - always serviced at the dealer...I have only had it a few months from the original owner. I had it in my dealer once for a check engine light and they said they saw some codes and they changed a connector on the fuel filter heater and they replace the glow plug module - they said the issue on the fuel filter may have killed the glow plug module. This was $650 to have done. Van was fine for a few weeks.

Now Every few hundred miles or so it goes into limp mode - no turbo
I have had this issues about 5 times over the last 1700 miles (since the dealer did this work).

This usually happens after slowing down to a stop and then no noticalbe issues NO check engine light ...just the turbo is gone therefor low power. If I pull over and turn it off and immediately back on......it goes back to fine and runs great.

I scanned with an autel 200 and there are 2 codes shown

P245362 - input for diff press sensor signal is faulty - this shows 27 cycles ago
P245400 - diff press sensor has a short to ground - this one showed 3 starts (so it was today)

Just wondering if this is something someone has seen before. I hate to take it back to dealer but it would be nice to have it fixed.

Thanks.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Both codes show DPF pressure sensor fault. I would start with checking its wiring.
Chances are the mechanic kinked something doing the other jobs.

D

Deleted member 50714

It's not easy but it can be done. Snake an iPhone or equivalent, up to the DPF sensor and using the earbud as a remote switch, take a photo to determine if you have the latest DPF sensor revision. Also, I think the short harness has been revised. Need to verify.

Curiously, I've seen photos were both a flexible hoses were clamped common to the two hard lines and DPF sensor nipples. Four clamps are called out on the parts list. Seen photos were clamps were only provided on the hardlines and not the sensor and visa versa. Considering the low operating pressure, it wouldn't take much of a leak to throw erroneous sensor data.

Considering the close proximity of the DPF sensor to the heat generating exhaust system, rubber hoses, or whatever they're made of, are prone to split and swell at the ends. Especially if saturated with oil and grime.

Not intending to sound pessimistic but always dealer serviced is not necessarily positive.

Have you had your shackles re-torqued? An often ignored preventive maintenance item.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Get a can of MAF cleaner, pull the plug on sensor and give it good bath on both sides.

lindenengineering

Nah
You must check for a high resistance/intermittent continuity on that harness & socket.
It looks mighty tight & crimped just aft of the socket.
On V6's there is a bulletin on a new harness upgrade pigtail, it might apply to your 4 banger as well.

Remember as usual MB ,BMW and VW wiring harnesses are crap ,early deterioration built in as early obsolescence. Around 50% of most problems are caused by wiring issues on these German brands '

Dennis
Oh God thanks for Ford & ISO 9000 stds and top of the pile Toyota/ Lexus with Sumitomo harnesses .
But then I wouldn't make any money!:laughing:

Sunbrother

I cut the zip tie and unplugged it and re connected it gave the wires some more flex after removing the zip tie....I have done about 600 miles and haven’t had the issue....so I would guess it may be related to the harness socket as mentioned above.

I will keep an eye on until my 60,000 service and ask the dealer about it.

Thanks for the help.

Sunbrother

I went in for my 60k service and mentioned this issue and they scanned codes and said
”REPLACE THE DIFFERENTIAL PRESSURE SENSOR IN THE DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER (FAULT P245362 AND P245400: THE INPUT FOR DIFFERENTIAL PRESSURE SENSOR 1 IN THE DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER HAS A MALFUNCTION)”

$600 and another $152 to reset the codes.

I declined and thought I would drive it some more. It has done the LM a couple more times. So I guess I need to get smarter or pay up.

The service advisor made it sounds like it is something in the DPF but I thought that sensor is the picture posted above. The service advisor seems to keep you from seeing the actual technician so I didn’t get a clear answer and with all the COVID stuff I didn’t want to stand there and breathe their air any longer.

Sunbrother

Note I am in Charlotte NC - if anyone know a good place for a 2014 sprinter mechanic...that would be good. I know there have been some names within a couple of hours but that is hard for me to coordinate right now.

HKs00

Did you ever get this issue resolved? I am working on a 2014 6 cylinder with the same codes and I am suspecting that it needs the new harness/ plug update. Just wondering if you resolved your problem or just keep resetting the light?

Edit: I only have the P15FF00 pressure differential sensor short to ground and this is the TSB on it

The part number for the harness on the pdf is not accurate, or the dealer was not able to cross it so a quick google search I came up with A204-440-64-40 I am not 100% sure if this works for every truck so make sure to use the VIN as the reference.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sunbrother

the dealer replaced the harness and connector and said the old one had a bad pin. It hasn't messed up since...that was many months ago. I would say it has fixed it. I didn't ask much past that so I don't know exactly, but I am happy it is fixed.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Top Bottom