Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
NorthLink
NorthLink

Default Fan Blower Motor issue

Hi Everyone and Happy New Year:

Love my '05 2500, and am now having my first mechanical issue. Thanks to all in advance:

I live in Minnesota, and it of course has been cold (-24 this morning). My blower motor started being tempermental a couple of weeks ago: after starting the van, I would notice that the fan wasn't blowing, and spinning the thumb wheel wouldn't do anything. Then after a minute or two, it would all the sudden kick on. Sometimes it would work at start up. Of course it didn't go away by itself.

This last weekend, we took a trip to Chicago, and after starting it, it didn't turn on, and never did turn on. Had the family in the van, was worried about fogging up, but there was a little warm air coming from the dash vents and the defrost. Just noticable, not real strong, but enough to keep us comfortable. But spinning the dial didn't affect anything. I do have the auxillary heater that I kept on, and the rear heater blower worked fine, so I ran that on high.

My understanding is that the blower motor resister is the culprit if the blower only blows at certain settings (nothing on 1 or 2, but 3 or 4 works). But the fact that there is some blowing coming leads me to think that it it is the dial switch or the resister, and not the motor.

I am a modestly capable mechanic and would like to learn how to service my Sprinter, since I anticipate getting more for my business (non-emergency medical transport). I've replaced the resistor and blower motor on my Chrysler minivan, but this is probably more difficult? I don't suppose there is a source for those of us that aren't mechanical/electrical superstars to see how it should be done? I see CDs for sale - repair manuals - I suppose that is a good start.

Thanks a ton.

By the way, I was scared by the posts talking how people struggled driving on snow/ice with their Sprinter. Mine is a champ on snowy roads - I'm relieved how well it handles. Tires makes a huge difference - plus growing up in MN driving like a banshee just for kicks in the winter - ha!
NorthLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
davy0151

Default Re: Fan Blower Motor issue

Hi had the same problem with my fan..to test if it is the switch or the motor,when it is not spinning take the cloth cover off the motor housing and jiggle the the connector holding the two supply wires if the fan starts spinning then it is the motor(try this with the fan on 4 just in case like mine both are suspect) ok before shelling out loads for a new motor,if the motor is a valeo unit(and most are)the problem is that the brushes are worn and need replacing,you can get the brushes on UK e-bay for 12.50 plus postage and the job is a piece of cake(45 minutes max including coffee break!!)if you find it is motor at fault i can forward the e-bay item number and would be happy to talk you through the job if needed.hope this helps
davy0151 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davy0151 For This Useful Post:
NorthLink (01-05-2010)
Old 01-05-2010, 01:36 AM   #3
NorthLink
NorthLink

Problem solved: replaced blower motor. Easy to swap - just took the insulation off, took out the three screws and replaced the old with a new motor from a dealer.
I had to get it going quick, or I would have taken the time to essentially recondition the motor as suggested. I guess I'll do that with the old for a spare.
Even a knucklehead like me can replace a blower motor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3Jan10 015.jpg (83.0 KB, 720 views)
NorthLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #4
davy0151

Hi George,the replacement brushes are listed on UK e-bay under heater motor brushes the item number is 190363120625.having looked at the postage info i'm not sure if he posts abroad ? if you want i can e-mail him and find out,if he does not then we could sort something out by me getting them for you and posting on myself,any other info or help please ask. Dave
davy0151 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davy0151 For This Useful Post:
dbeyer (04-15-2011)
Old 01-24-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
Dougflas
DAD OWNER

Try a good sized ACE Hardware store. The local one here has a great assortment of motor brushes.
Dougflas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #6
Scott_Mc
Sprintering Since Aug/02

Lightbulb Re: Fan Blower Motor issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthLink View Post
This last weekend, we took a trip to Chicago, and after starting it, it didn't turn on, and never did turn on........Just noticable, not real strong, but enough to keep us comfortable. But spinning the dial didn't affect anything.....

My understanding is that the blower motor resister is the culprit if the blower only blows at certain settings (nothing on 1 or 2, but 3 or 4 works). But the fact that there is some blowing coming leads me to think that it it is the dial switch or the resister, and not the motor.....

By the way, I was scared by the posts talking how people struggled driving on snow/ice with their Sprinter. Mine is a champ on snowy roads - I'm relieved how well it handles. Tires makes a huge difference - plus growing up in MN driving like a banshee just for kicks in the winter - ha!
To the first part, on your trip to Chicago (assuming this was mostly highway) the fan was likely not spinning at all. Try it again now that you have your new motor installed. Shut the blower motor down while on the highway. I'm willing to bet you'll feel the same output "Just noticable, not real strong, but enough to keep us comfortable" You get some airflow through the van from in going down the road. I feel running the fan on low while on the highway is doing nothing other than shortening the life of the fan motor and/or resistor (I'm weird I guess). If had the temps you experience though, I may feel differently I still have the original resistor and blower (I have worked on the blower motor once though, and it will be due again probably soon).

I'm with you on the winter driving too. Mine's a tank. Snow is no problem. I just recently, had a long semi steep driveway to climb to leave a job. There was about 4" of fresh snow along with about an inch of previously plowed but packed snow beneath it. There was not room for a running start, but a sharp bend in the drive at the very bottom. Pointed the van up the driveway, let the traction control do its job. Wasn't as fast, anywhere near as fast as 4WD would be, but It went up. No assistance required.
RUNS like 25,000 miles....LOOKS like 1/2 a milllion...
Thank you Mercedes for the substandard paint prep & corrosion prevention throughout.
My '99 Audi Avant, 4 years older and 15K more miles...ZERO RUST.... You got me once!
Scott_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:36 AM   #7
blacksmoke

my dhl truck was from back east and had the same problem. worn brushes. but... i noticed there was still alot of meat on the brushes so i just extended the spring that pushes on the brushes, hence contact. hope this helps
blacksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blacksmoke For This Useful Post:
dbeyer (04-15-2011)
Old 07-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #8
Scott_Mc
Sprintering Since Aug/02

Question Re: Fan Blower Motor issue

blueox, have you removed the motor from the plastic case/holder?
RUNS like 25,000 miles....LOOKS like 1/2 a milllion...
Thank you Mercedes for the substandard paint prep & corrosion prevention throughout.
My '99 Audi Avant, 4 years older and 15K more miles...ZERO RUST.... You got me once!
Scott_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:15 PM   #9
dbeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmoke View Post
had the same problem. worn brushes. but... i noticed there was still alot of meat on the brushes so i just extended the spring that pushes on the brushes, hence contact. hope this helps
My blower motor stopped totally. After checking resistor, I cleaned the motor with electrical cleaner and compressed the springs on the brushes and motor works perfectly.
I ordered new brushes from UK.
The new item # on e-bay is 200594056414.
$19 shipped to US

Thanks to all

David

Last edited by dbeyer; 04-15-2011 at 01:27 PM. Reason: fat fingers
dbeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:30 PM   #10
rlent

I pulled mine apart yesterday - the brushes are definitely worn down (it's the original blower motor and I'm 337K+ .... so I got no complaints) ..... but I noticed the armature is significantly worn down as well - maybe an 1/8 inch or more (no surprise as the motor is located in an unfiltered air flow)

I checked around locally for some brushes that might work and I didn't really come up with anything .... I might go ahead and order the ones from the UK to rehab this blower motor (provided I don't have to use PayPal to pay for them)
rlent is offline   Reply With Quote