Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:07 PM   #1
Hikinginpdx
Sprinter is for sale

Question CE Laurence window questions

A couple of questions regarding CR Laurence windows

Only one portion of the lower section of the T-Vent slider window opens. The issue seems to be with the fit of the fixed portion on the one I was sent. It appears that the window doesnít close all the way, however, on closer examination it looks like the window does close but the fix portion next to it is glued too close to the mounting.

Is this the normal fit for these windows or was this sample assembled incorrectly?

Window joint-4.jpg
Window misfit-1.jpg
Window joint-5.jpg

Secondly, no installation documentation came with these and I just wanted to check my understanding of the weather stripping fit. The window comes with a mounted oval attached. It appears that this foam goes directly against the outside of the van wall. An additional roll of closed cell weather stripping came wiht the shipment, does this adhere to the inside of the van wall and then the retaining clip screws in over this?

Window Molding outside-1.jpg
Window foam-1.jpg

The cutting looks straight forward and I plan to treat the cut edge before seating the windows. Other than knowing the above I think I'm set.

Thanks

Keith
Hikinginpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
minigoogoo

Default Re: CR Laurence window questions

I returned a slider door window in similar condition just one week ago. Mine was about 1/4" out at the bottom of the window. I don't know if CR Laurence had a bad batch recently, but I do know that ours are not the only ones with this issue at the moment. Related to this issue or not, my first windows arrived after a very lengthy back order (several months long).

I'm now waiting for the dealer to get a batch of replacements in... and I'm hoping that they are better. If not, I'll probably take one of them as-is and have the fixed window removed, shimmed, and reglued.

I'll keep you posted on my experiences.

Nathan

PS - Where in PDX are you?
minigoogoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:06 PM   #3
Hikinginpdx
Sprinter is for sale

Default Re: CE Laurence window questions

Nathan,

Nuts, you just returned yours and I just got a rushed replacement with the same issue. My mind wanders on this...

When springing for this a product like this, one would expect to not have to take something apart and fix it before use. Any idea how much it might cost to have a glasier fix something like this? Maybe I should go that route instead of going back through CR Laurence again. Right now I don't have anything that will haul the window to get an estimate.

I'm on the west side, near Tanasbourne, but work in Hillsboro.

Jef was taking about trying to do a get together for folks in the Portland area, I think that is an awesome idea.

Keith
Old 11-02-2009, 11:22 PM   #4
NBB

CR Laurence tech suppt says you don't need that second layer of weather strip - that these windows only need the "D" one that comes attached to the window assy, and will contact the outside surface of the van. I think the clamp ring wouldn't sit right with that extra material in there. Let me know if you find different. Not sure why you would get shipped that roll of foam. Did you order it?

I, too, recently returned a window for the same issue as above. Sliding door, right? The one I returned was pretty gross and was actually delivered to me as an open box. The replacement was still off a bit, but maybe just a 1/8" or so. I think it's tolerable, as I think the gasket material will crush a bit over time. Yeah, kind of a joke. CR Laurence is definitely a "B" quality company, IMO. Take a look at the rest of that rig. There are no other options, though, so it will have to do. Just stand 5 feet away. Good enough.

FYI - after cutting the opening, I found the 2 layers of sheet metal collapsed or easily bent into each other when pinched, ie - like the force the window clamp will put on it. Depends on where the factory glue was, etc. Check it out. I was worried water might get through a few spots, particularly where the x-beams used to be. I layed a bead of window adhesive into the gap and let it cure for a day - now it's pretty solid all around.

- NBB

Last edited by NBB; 11-02-2009 at 11:25 PM.
NBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NBB For This Useful Post:
Hikinginpdx (11-03-2009)
Old 11-03-2009, 12:32 AM   #5
Hikinginpdx
Sprinter is for sale

NBB,

I've heard from a few people today that had the very same problem with the slider window.

Trucknvans has been awesome in working with me to get this resolved. They asked for pictures, which I sent, and heard back in a couple of hours that they were going to contact Laurence to get this resolved. At first I was really concerned about dealing with Trucknvans since they were the lowest bidder, but they have really stepped up to help through the miss ship and now this.

It is a shame that there isn't another vendor making the flush mount openable windows. Thats what we really wanted so we are in for the haul now.

I didn't order the tap, just 2 windows and they said they would ship everything I needed to install. Thanks for sharing your experience, regarding not using the tape. I'll most likely fill the gap as you described, great idea! I'm thinking I might fill the gap prior to cutting, this way all we have to do is prime the cut and install. We are hitting the rainy season, so its got to be a quick open and close on the van holes.

We are posting our conversion experience for our 'pony hauler' here on the site. Hopefully within the next 2 weeks, we'll be mounting the windows and vents .
The Following User Says Thank You to Hikinginpdx For This Useful Post:
lespaint2 (01-04-2010)
Old 11-03-2009, 01:22 AM   #6
OrioN
2008 2500 170" EXT

Thanked 2,783 Times in 2,028 Posts

I came, I saw, I laughed, and went... to Motion Windows to have a custom thermal slider made... in the middle of the install as we speak... pictures soon...
OrioN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:43 AM   #7
clark

I picked my windows up today at the CR Laurence warehouse in LA. After seeing your post, I opened a few boxes and... same differential as yours. Not just on the sliding door window but on all 4 awning windows. They got a couple suits out there and the consensus was - it should straighten out when installed and/or it's within tolerance. I figure if they are really off and I can't fiddle them enough to look good, I'll head by sometime I'm up there and maybe get a replacement.

I agree that at this point, I wish there were other options. I hope I am more happy once they are in than I am at this point. They also seemed really light and thin to me.

I am hoping to start the install this weekend, I'll post some pics.

Also, let us know if you get CRL to pony up a window that is made properly.

C

PS. To save money on the order I had to order a right and left rear door windows. If anybody is in need I will be selling them at my cost, I think $100 (each) or so, but I'll check f anyone is interested. I'll be posting on the ForSale shortly.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:19 AM   #8
Hikinginpdx
Sprinter is for sale

Clark,

I'm surprised that your other windows had the same issue. The other window that I order, drivers forward, looks wonderful and the 2 lower vent portions are perfectly aligned. Of the windows that Laurence mis-shipped to me, one was a T-vent... rear, that also was aligned well. Whenever they arrange shipping I'll send them back.

From all of the people I've talked with, the sliders are the common weak point. Most likely because of the one fixed , one open part. I do believe that other than this issue the windows are going to be fine and we'll be happy, just sucks that they these are ok.

Perhaps Nathan had the best idea, have the fixed window reset locally with the correct shims. I bet while the window is still out of the van and can be put on a bench it would be much easier / cheaper to resolve. When I get my Sprinter back, I think I'm going to check out that option. Sometimes it is worth just cutting losses and take the matter into my own hands.

Let us know how your install goes, also did they give you the extra seal they sent me?

Keith
Old 11-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #9
clark

Keith,

The few boxes that we opened did not have the extra gasket.

I'm actually getting a little nervous about cutting into the beast...

C
Old 11-03-2009, 05:23 PM   #10
NBB

I just had my rear door windows - CRL - installed today - and the fit is just god awful. The curve is only 1D, from left to right. They are pretty flat top to bottom - but the van is not. In general, the glass is really wavy and cheap looking, especially as you see it not following the perimeter recess. The installer did their best - but jeez - if I had known I wouldn't have bothered with these things and just gone with a dealer or better aftermarket - at least there are choices with the rear doors. I didn't realize you need a bezel to fill in the void between the medallion and the glass - so off to get that. What are the odds it will fit post install? Pretty low. I might just tear these things out and return them, and go with something better - so 80 bucks lost on the install.

"They got a couple suits out there and the consensus was - it should straighten out when installed and/or it's within tolerance."

Nice! That's exactly the attitude I would expect to be at the source of this. I would get fired for that in my line of work. We supply OEMs with a commodity product in a very competitive marketplace. A day late and a dollar short costs 10ís of millions in revenue. It has to be perfect.

Yeah - just another day of Sprintercraft...

- NBB
NBB is offline   Reply With Quote