Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 02-10-2020, 01:27 PM   #1
Oroskenneth

Default Replacing the water pump stripped bolt

My top bolt about 12 oíclock on the water pump came out pretty easy, when I went to install the pump it wouldnít tighten. Itís the small screws not the big ones, 6mm. Does anyone know the kit to purchase to retap that hole. Helicoil. Unless there a better one to use. I know I should just remove everything, but Iím going to ask, can I retap the hole with the pump on there.Thanks again for all your help. One of the biggest challenges for me with this job is the small hose thatís connects to the pump and wraps around the block, itís about 3 inches long , getting the big clamp on. Anyways thanks you all for your help.
Oroskenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 01:49 PM   #2
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 14,822 Times in 9,399 Posts
Default Re: Replacing the water pump stripped bolt

It is one fastener of many. If it were me I'd use my wire hairpin trick. Just choose a proper sized wire. It needs to bind, but not create so much force as to crack an aluminum casting.

I have used the fix in similar situations with good results.

vic

Re: Ooops ....Trans pan bolt hole stripped !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
As this older thread was resurrected...

A quick fix would be to insert some ss or even regular steel braided picture wire into the stripped hole and run the bolt in to snug up the pan.

My method is to form the picture wire into a hairpin shape and insert the closed end into the hole.

Why it will work.

* The torque to keep the pan against the rubber seal (not a gasket) doesn't need to be great.

* The picture wire hairpin gives the bolt threads something to bind against at the same time forcing the bolt over against the opposite side original stripped threads.

Anyway, it works as long as you are careful with tightening the bolt "just enough".

vic

Added:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyAnarchistVanCamper View Post
... Copper wire I would think would mold a lot easier without causing damage. ...
Worth considering. If the copper wire is too thin the threads may cut right through it. Too thick and it will prevent starting the threads.

When available I often use regular old braided picture wire. It is steel. Braided wire should conform even better than any single strand wire.

I have used ss picture wire for exhaust repairs and such. It is strong, lasts, and easier to work than typical iron or monel solid baling wire. I have mentioned ss picture wire for the hairpin repair, but as you point out, the hard ss braided wire may not be as good of a choice. I know that ss seizing wire will work on threads because I have used it.

Certainly choosing the proper size/gauge/type of wire is the art of the fix being successful. Not too small, not too big for the given thread situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyAnarchistVanCamper View Post
... Word of caution people, with this kind of [Glow Plug] repair I wouldn't be looking at them with the engine running before your glow plug turns into a missile headed into your eye socket.
Maybe. My thought is that it would be less dramatic. Staying out of the line of fire is good advice.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 02-10-2020 at 03:13 PM.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
Oroskenneth (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 02:05 PM   #3
Oroskenneth

Thanks for your help I’ll dig up some wire up, it was really bugging me , I didn’t really want to say forget it and roll the dice, after doing this work , I don’t think it bad but being amateur at this I wasn’t sure if leaving it was a good idea., if it was the bottom bolt and would be alittle more worried, but I could be wrong, thanks for all your help.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:24 PM   #4
hkpierce
'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass

Thanked 1,595 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroskenneth View Post
My top bolt about 12 oíclock on the water pump came out pretty easy, when I went to install the pump it wouldnít tighten. Itís the small screws not the big ones, 6mm. Does anyone know the kit to purchase to retap that hole. Helicoil.
6mmx1.0 helicoil kit. Mark the drill bit such that you know how deep you need to go. Remember to use a torque wrench that is reasonably within calibration.
hkpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hkpierce For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (02-10-2020), Oroskenneth (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 02:46 PM   #5
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 14,822 Times in 9,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkpierce View Post
Great advice.

Given my experience with various fasteners I would just go by feel, but you should use a torque wrench to tighten. The wire fix should allow using the official torque listed.

Watch to not confuse inch pounds with FOOT pounds.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 03:02 PM   #6
rollerbearing

Thanked 1,128 Times in 770 Posts

If you go the heli-coil route, I usually grind off the tip of the drill. Just grind it flat to about half way down. Leave enough of the tip cutting edge that it will still drill through the old threads. This way when you hit bottom you are far less likely to go too far and put a through hole where it shouldn't be. Drill bits are cheap - blocks are not.

Last edited by rollerbearing; 02-10-2020 at 03:05 PM.
rollerbearing is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rollerbearing For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (02-10-2020), doug022984 (02-11-2020), hkpierce (02-10-2020), Oroskenneth (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 03:35 PM   #7
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 7,730 Times in 4,900 Posts

In a tough spot, I have epoxied a stud in the hole and used a nut.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:04 PM   #8
Oroskenneth

Thanks for the tip , not in a tough spot right now, just in the comfort on my driveway,