Sprinter-Forum    
 

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.


 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2019, 07:11 PM   #1
mrcolin2u
2005 Sprinter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 94
Thanks: 57
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default Help ! Do I have the wrong belt ?

Iím replacing idler pulleys and tensioner and the belt.
Iím trying to get the new belt on but it is very tight
Iím wondering if this is the wrong belt for my 2005 T2N ?
Does anyone know here ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5E3D393F-2A2D-49D3-A9C1-999F4E45802C.jpg (95.6 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by mrcolin2u; 08-17-2019 at 07:18 PM.
mrcolin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:50 PM   #2
OldWest
T1N Westfalia
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,134
Thanks: 217
Thanked 635 Times in 482 Posts
Default Re: Help ! Do I have the wrong belt ?

After checking these threads, please post what you decided. 2260 is ideal. 2257 is apparently an often sold replacement. 2257 in conjunction with a larger diameter 70 replacememt idler pulley is even more of a dilemma.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ight=2257+2260

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ight=2257+2260

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...4&postcount=33
OldWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:59 PM   #3
OldWest
T1N Westfalia
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,134
Thanks: 217
Thanked 635 Times in 482 Posts
Default Re: Help ! Do I have the wrong belt ?

Looks like you bought the Europarts-SD.com kit which comes with a 2257 serpentine belt (for some reason, they don't sell a 2260). You're in good company as lots of folks have apparently bought this kit from them.

If you ordered the kit version with a smooth pulley and not a later ribbed version pulley, you'd probably be even better off, while best off would be a smooth pulley and a 2260.

For peace of mind, you could just buy another 2260 from Eurocampers.com for $26.87 or elsewhere, and keep the 2257 as an emergency spare (good idea to have a spare).

http://www.eurocampers.com/2001--200...oses_c_99.html

Please post what you decide. Also, please post any tips (the DIY threads on opening the radiator stack like a door for access and other write-ups are helpful).

Last edited by OldWest; 08-17-2019 at 08:02 PM.
OldWest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldWest For This Useful Post:
mrcolin2u (08-17-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 09:31 PM   #4
mrcolin2u
2005 Sprinter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 94
Thanks: 57
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Help ! Do I have the wrong belt ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWest View Post
Looks like you bought the Europarts-SD.com kit which comes with a 2257 serpentine belt (for some reason, they don't sell a 2260). You're in good company as lots of folks have apparently bought this kit from them.

If you ordered the kit version with a smooth pulley and not a later ribbed version pulley, you'd probably be even better off, while best off would be a smooth pulley and a 2260.

For peace of mind, you could just buy another 2260 from Eurocampers.com for $26.87 or elsewhere, and keep the 2257 as an emergency spare (good idea to have a spare).

http://www.eurocampers.com/2001--200...oses_c_99.html

Please post what you decide. Also, please post any tips (the DIY threads on opening the radiator stack like a door for access and other write-ups are helpful).
I put the old belt back on and I've asked Europarts SD to send me a 2260. If they don't send me one I'll get one from somewhere else. I prefer to replace the same part # I took off when possible , besides that the 2257 is tight and I was struggling to get it on, in fact I gave up after I double checked the part number.

I replaced both idler pulleys and the tensioner. The new INA pulleys look the same size as the original OEM , one ribbed one smooth.
I tilted the radiator forward without disconnecting any pipes and used a piece of wood to prop it forward.
I removed the viscous fan with an 8mm allen wrench and kept the water pump from spinning by using a bastard file wedged beset the small bolt heads on the water pump pulley.

With the fan removed I had plenty room to get my fat hands in and replace the parts .
I kept the viscous fan upright and cleaned the fan blades and clutch with a solvent spray.
Replaced everything in reverse order and torqued to specs as well as using blue lock tight on the threads .
The idler pulleys felt like they spun a bit too easy like there was no grease in the bearings . The tensioner didn't feel too bad and I almost was going to leave it in but I decided to replace it anyway just because I already had easy access.

I'm disappointed with the V-belt , I'm going on a trip next 6 days and expect to do 600 or 700 miles. The original belt doesn't look too bad but it would have been nice to have it changed today with all the stuff out the way.

Wish I'd known about what exactly was in that kit before I ordered !
mrcolin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:35 PM   #5
Patrick of M
2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,538
Thanks: 570
Thanked 699 Times in 507 Posts
Default Re: Help ! Do I have the wrong belt ?

What do you mean by very tight? If the tensioner still has room.to move in both directions you will be fine. The belt will also stretch a leetle bit as it gets used.
__________________
Patrick of Montreal
2005 T1N (NA spec).
Patrick of M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:46 PM   #6
mrcolin2u
2005 Sprinter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 94
Thanks: 57
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Help ! Do I have the wrong belt ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick of M View Post
What do you mean by very tight? If the tensioner still has room.to move in both directions you will be fine. The belt will also stretch a leetle bit as it gets used.
It was so tight I was struggling to get it on. The old belt was easy.
mrcolin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:42 AM   #7
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder
 
Aqua Puttana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Falls of Niagara, USA
Posts: 25,933
Thanks: 13,638
Thanked 14,822 Times in 9,399 Posts
Default Re: Help ! Do I have the wrong belt ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcolin2u View Post
It was so tight I was struggling to get it on. The old belt was easy.
My guess would be that you had the new belt incorrectly routed when you tried to install the 6PK2257 belt or the belt wasn't properly seated into one of the grooved pulleys. What you describe is exactly the scenario when the belt is incorrectly routed. Don't ask.

I have installed both a 6PK2257 and a 6PK2260 belt and either installs just fine when the belt is correctly routed. Either length belt works fine on my 2004 and 2006 in my experience.

vic
__________________
DAD NAS (N. Amer. Spec) 2004 140 2500 >330,000+ mi. Arctic Whitewash Brush-tone Grey
2006 Freightliner 140 2500HC >183,000+ mi. Arctic Whitewash (Spotted Snow Leopard accents)
"My opinion and worth everything you'll never pay for it." assumed.
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:15 AM   #8
Patrick of M
2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,538
Thanks: 570
Thanked 699 Times in 507 Posts
Default Re: Help ! Do I have the wrong belt ?

Like I said, once on as long as the tensioner has play you r good. This of course presumes u routed it correctly. Does it match the diagram you made on the windshield washer tank with a sharpie?
__________________
Patrick of Montreal
2005 T1N (NA spec).
Patrick of M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:44 AM   #9
mrcolin2u
2005 Sprinter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 94
Thanks: 57
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Help ! Do I have the wrong belt ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
My guess would be that you had the new belt incorrectly routed when you tried to install the 6PK2257 belt or the belt wasn't properly seated into one of the grooved pulleys. What you describe is exactly the scenario when the belt is incorrectly routed. Don't ask.

I have installed both a 6PK2257 and a 6PK2260 belt and either installs just fine when the belt is correctly routed. Either length belt works fine on my 2004 and 2006 in my experience.

vic
You hit the nail on the head Vic, the belt was incorrectly routed initially. It still felt a bit tight even though I was giving the tensioner some slack. I think I'll try again after my trip , I'm still trying to organize my stuff for camping tomorrow for 6 nights and I'm knackered
mrcolin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:49 AM   #10
mrcolin2u
2005 Sprinter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 94
Thanks: 57
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Help ! Do I have the wrong belt ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick of M View Post
Like I said, once on as long as the tensioner has play you r good. This of course presumes u routed it correctly. Does it match the diagram you made on the windshield washer tank with a sharpie?
I have a picture on my phone of the correct routing which I didn't refer to initially and made a mistake

I did try with the correct routing though and it felt too tight even though the tensioner was fully off !
I'll give it another go later , I think I just got tired and convinced myself that the 2257 was the wrong size ! I know earlier in the week I took the old belt off and put it back on again and it was a piece of cake ! I was expecting the same with the new belt but it wasn't to be.
mrcolin2u is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 01:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.