Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:49 PM   #1
Nubes

Lightbulb Suggestions for T1N roof racks with pics?

Hello, Iíve been looking for a platform type roof rack that would fit a 2006 144 van with a vent.
Seems like Aluminus has the market covered but would love to see what others have going on before I spend that kind of money! Pictures would be much appreciated 😀
Thanks Forum 👍
Nubes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:11 AM   #2
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 8,494 Times in 6,158 Posts
Default Re: Suggestions for T1N roof racks with pics?

Which roof height do you have?

I have the "standard" (low) roof, and sets of these $53 Highland roof rails fit nicely.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...rintersou02-20

They will NOT fit high roofs.

--dick
p.s. photos of them "in action" are part of the collage at: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...475#post682475
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
Nubes (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 03:25 AM   #3
marklg

I used brackets held on by VHB tape and sheet metal screws for my solar panels, sealed with Dicor. For one panel I fabricated supports out of Aluminum angle. If you have the ability to cut and drill Aluminum (hacksaw and drill press or even a hand drill), you could mount a roof rack of your own design, or use brackets in a similar manner to mount a purchased rack.

https://sites.google.com/site/marksr...-solar-install

I have found Aluminum pretty easy to work with, connecting with Stainless Steel hardware. If you can weld, that's even better. I have a custom antenna mount out of Stainless Steel that someone welded up for me.

If you have fabrication ability and time, you can make exactly what you want. My solar panels had to fit around all the stuff already on the roof.

Regards,

Mark
marklg is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marklg For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (08-01-2019), CentralCoastBoondocker (02-10-2020), DesertAdventures (11-01-2019), Nubes (07-31-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 01:28 PM   #4
nevanco

I put track mount racks on mine made by proline.

https://www.prolineracks.com/proline...ack-slats.html

See the attached picture of my solar panels straddling my roof vent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOLAR.jpg (83.6 KB, 226 views)
nevanco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nevanco For This Useful Post:
Nubes (08-04-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 01:42 PM   #5
marklg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevanco View Post
I put track mount racks on mine made by proline.

https://www.prolineracks.com/proline...ack-slats.html

See the attached picture of my solar panels straddling my roof vent.
I had seriously considered the proline racks. They look good. I have too much other stuff on my roof in the way that was installed by the original outfitter to use them however. What hardware do they use for attaching? Sheet metal screws? I would think it might be better to use VHB tape plus screws as I did for my brackets?

It looks like you have wooden supports. What did you make them from? Have you considered Aluminum angle? It is just about as easy to cut and drill as wood. My templates for my solar panel mounts were of birch plywood, but the final installation is Aluminum.

Regards,

Mark
marklg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:00 PM   #6
nevanco

They use a self sealing self tapping screw, its got a type of waxy/tarry substance on them that seals the hole as they go in, there's also a VHB type material on the bottom of the rail that creates a tight seal. I really recommend them. It seems a tad scary at first when you're only screwing them down with sheet metal screws, but each one has about a dozen in it, and I've had equipment mounted on mine for a while now and nothing has torn off. I can also pull up as hard as I can on those panels and they don't budge.

I used wood because it's what I had on hand haha. I plan to mcmaster some aluminum square tube, but right now its working and I don't feel like going back on my roof.. Proline also ships adapter kits for just about any other roof racking solution you can think of, the rails up front are going to have a thule box on mine (eventually).

btw I am in no way affiliated with proline, just very happy with the installation so far.

Dylan
nevanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:42 PM   #7
derekhski

I don't have a platform mounted, but I use basic Yakima rain gutter mounts and cross bars... (have a few to many, yes) They give me a lot of options... makes for a nice base set up for the Roof Tents and other things.

Do have a small plywood platform on the door side of the roof tent, just easier for going in and out.

The Yankima make work as a useful base for adding a platform to?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8622.JPG (147.1 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg Ft Stevens (1).JPG (138.1 KB, 209 views)
Sumo Springs F/R, Monroe F/R,
Qpax Light Bar
Daughter calls it the "Daddy Bus"
(was RedDino's at some point)
Portland Oregon USA
derekhski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to derekhski For This Useful Post:
DesertAdventures (11-01-2019), Nubes (08-04-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 11:20 PM   #8
BrennWagon
Pete

I havenít made a deck for it yet, but hereís my DIY steel tube rack. It started out at 9í but I decided to make it 12í and made an insert.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 872870EE-1A65-4992-9CE7-10DCD24671DC.jpg (115.1 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg D9E87901-AB39-456C-AE92-D3D7D7CCC814.jpg (133.6 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg C994837A-2769-4345-8940-15595392DDA1.jpg (149.7 KB, 185 views)
BrennWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrennWagon For This Useful Post:
DesertAdventures (11-01-2019), Nubes (08-04-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 08:48 PM   #9
Sstromerson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubes View Post
Hello, Iíve been looking for a platform type roof rack that would fit a 2006 144 van with a vent.
Seems like Aluminus has the market covered but would love to see what others have going on before I spend that kind of money! Pictures would be much appreciated 😀
Thanks Forum 👍
Don't know if you've found a solution but I've got a couple ways to do what you're looking for. Vantech makes a gutter style crossbar system (H1 I think?) for the high top that you could install many different platforms onto or build a custom one.

What I think would be the best option would be to permanently install a track system running the length of the van like the NVC3 vans. I've installed a few Yakima tracks onto T1N sprinters at my work. This would give you the most options to mount anything to the roof because you would just need track/carriage/elevator bolts that slide into the tracks anywhere. You could be as crafty as you want and make a custom platform mounted to the tracks.
Or you could go with some of the manufactured platform options. My favorites being Yakima Lock n Load (new to the states but been around for a while in Australia), Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform, or the Frontrunner Slimline II. All of these options can mount directly to towers that would mount to the roof tracks meaning nice and low profile. They also have T-slots throughout the edges and slats meaning mounting things is very easy.

I have the Frontrunner Slimline II and like it because you can move all of the slats together instead of every other which makes a proper "deck." Sorry I don't have any pictures but I can work on taking a couple.

"Raxpert" at ReRack in Renton, WA
ReRack is a company in Portland, OR and Renton, WA. We Buy/Sell/Trade new and used roof racks and roof rack accessories. We offer custom/permanent installs, hitch installs, cargo box repair, and free basic install on racks purchased through us. We also have replacement parts galore for new and discontinued models.
Sstromerson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sstromerson For This Useful Post:
Nubes (10-17-2019)
Old 10-18-2019, 04:07 AM   #10
Nubes

Yes was looking at the Rhino platform but couldn’t get a straight answer if it would fit a 2006 sprinter with rails.
Also was wondering What crossbars would go with it? Thanks again!
Nubes is online now   Reply With Quote