Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Write-Ups

T1N Write-Ups Help other T1N owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 04-14-2019, 03:51 PM   #1
Gwilym

Default INSPECT Suspension Mounts Superficial Rust (?) MOT FAIL

vic note.
The rear mounts can rust away. They should be closely inspected periodically.

Refer to Rogerball0 post #21.

Dorman weld in replacement parts are available.

Leaf Spring Hanger Rear Dorman 722-215 fits 03-06 Dodge Sprinter 2500
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leaf-Spring...oAAOSwZ8lboMBP

Thanks goes to all contributors.

Original Posting.

208 CDi MWB Bus year 2000

This is the MOT failure description. I asked for clarification and they pointed out some rust holes in my sills, the ones below middle(sliding door) and sill in front of rear wheel, corrosion at the join between inner and outer of the sills plus a small patch of one inner sill rusted through.

* Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded to the extent that control of the vehicle is likely to be adversely affected (5.3.6 (a) (ii))
* Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded to the extent that control of the vehicle is likely to be adversely affected (5.3.6 (a) (ii))

I can order outer sills and when they are fitted have the inner part patched but I am still slightly confused why the sills are related to the suspension mounting?

Can anyone offer some advice to make this clearer for me?

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 06-02-2019 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Adding precise vehicle details
Gwilym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:08 PM   #2
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 8,491 Times in 6,157 Posts
Default Re: MOT Fail for Rusty Sills - I'm a Bit Puzzled!

The fast-and-loose answer is that the Sprinter has a "Unibody" style of construction ... the frame rails are a bit undersized for the loads, and depend upon the known rigidity of the entire body shell to handle the fully-rated loads encountered when driving.

In short, when you're making a turn at speed, it's expecting the body to resist twisting to keep the frame (and thus the spring anchor points) within expected limits.
Rust along/near the welded bottom seams compromise that strength.

... at least, that's the theory. Cab/chassis versions of the Sprinter have additional frame strength and members to address lack of body.
The Body Builder's Information Guides cover this somewhat (especially in their "do not cut here without reinforcement" sections).
BBIGs are available on MB's website, and at the DIY reference site in my signature block.

2002 BBIG: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/S...20Handbook.pdf
2011 BBIG part 1: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/S...1%20of%202.pdf
2011 BBIG part 2: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/S...2%20of%202.pdf

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))

Last edited by autostaretx; 04-14-2019 at 05:11 PM.
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:14 PM   #3
Garandman

I ordered patch panels from Mill Supply.

https://www.millsupply.com/auto-body...n-body-panels/
Old 04-14-2019, 09:54 PM   #4
Gwilym

Thanks. Good replies!

The panels are available from a polish supplier, easyparts_uk, through auction website.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gwilym For This Useful Post:
Garandman (04-15-2019), Mickyfin (04-15-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 01:36 PM   #5
Gwilym

I have now realised the Sprinter did not fail because of the Sills.

I had 2 mechanics look at the underbody for me and both thought it was the sills but it was in fact rust around the suspension mounts.

This appears superficial hence neither mechanic thought it was a reason for the fail.

I'm starting a fresh thread on that to get some feed-back about the suspension mounts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gwilym For This Useful Post:
autostaretx (05-31-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 01:52 PM   #6
Gwilym

Default Suspension Mounts Superficial Rust (?) MOT FAIL

This is related to my earlier thread about rusted sills which it turns out were not the reason for my MOT fail.

I am really wondering now if the MOT technician has miss-lead me by pointing out holes in my sills which were noted as 'advisories' and not the reason for MOT fail.

He actually failed on the Suspension Mounts but didn't point to that when I asked for clarification and this is my fault for not reading the document more carefully.

The Below came with advice "Dangerous do not drive". I will add photos and ask you for any opinions you might have (Quite a lot of mud there too BTW which looks a bit like rust):

* Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded to the extent that control of the vehicle is likely to be adversely affected (5.3.6 (a) (ii))
* Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded to the extent that control of the vehicle is likely to be adversely affected (5.3.6 (a) (ii))
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190530_115553-2.jpg (94.0 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190530_115643-2.jpg (110.5 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190530_115711-2.jpg (84.8 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190530_120040-2.jpg (100.2 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190530_120111-2.jpg (105.4 KB, 77 views)
Old 05-30-2019, 04:02 PM   #7
Cheyenne
UK 2004 T1N 313CDi

Thanked 2,092 Times in 1,451 Posts
Default Re: Suspension Mounts Superficial Rust (?) MOT FAIL

Clean all the mud and loose rust off then take stock of the situation! You may find it is all superficial.

Keith.

Sprinter reference info site http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/
Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheyenne For This Useful Post:
sailquik (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 05:22 PM   #8
Gwilym

I agree, in my opinion it is all superficial and I was wondering if anyone can enlighten me why it was so severely failed for superficial rust.

I would have thought, personally 'cos I'm not a mechanic let alone an MOT mechanic, it would have been an advisory...Not a "scrap it" definition by the MOT man!

Anyone else agree with me?
Old 05-30-2019, 07:28 PM   #9
The Grand Tour
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwilym View Post

This is related to my earlier thread about rusted sills which it turns out were not the reason for my MOT fail.

I am really wondering now if the MOT technician has miss-lead me by pointing out holes in my sills which were noted as 'advisories' and not the reason for MOT fail.

He actually failed on the Suspension Mounts but didn't point to that when I asked for clarification and this is my fault for not reading the document more carefully.

The Below came with advice "Dangerous do not drive". I will add photos and ask you for any opinions you might have (Quite a lot of mud there too BTW which looks a bit like rust):

Where does it describe what the "prescribed area" is?
The Grand Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:23 PM   #10
Cheyenne
UK 2004 T1N 313CDi

Thanked 2,092 Times in 1,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grand Tour View Post
Where does it describe what the "prescribed area" is?
In the Inspectors manual... https://www.mot-testing.service.gov....als/class3457/

Keith.

Quote from Appendix A of above:

2 Prescribed areas
Certain areas of the vehicle structure are particularly important for the safety of a vehicle and you must pay particular attention to these areas during an inspection. These areas are:

load-bearing parts of the vehicle to which testable items are mounted – these items are in Sections 1 (brakes), 2 (steering), 5 (axles, wheels, tyres and suspension) and 7 (other equipment) of the inspection manual
any load-bearing or supporting structure or supporting panelling within 30cm of the mounting location
For example, when examining a seat belt mounting on an inner sill, you must give consideration to the outer sill or the sill reinforcement if the outer sill is a plastic cover, door pillar, floor panel or any other structural part within 30cm of the component’s mounting point.

Sprinter reference info site http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/
Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheyenne For This Useful Post:
The Grand Tour (05-31-2019)