Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > The Competition

The Competition Discussion of other vehicles similar to the Sprinter; Transit, Promaster, etc.
SubForum: Write-Ups

Old 05-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #21
OrioN
2008 2500 170" EXT

Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,030 Posts
Default Re: Ducato spotted in Lincoln NE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytwizzer View Post
if these ducato vans are like the ones in the UK they will be dead by the time they get to 80,000 miles, you can buy second hand ones of these for the same price as a bag of chips! if you are considering one you cant possibly have driven a sprinter
... yeah, but you will be able to fix them by yourself in the parking lots of Napa or Can. Tire with a vise-grip.
OrioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #22
Dingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFM1 View Post
Can wait for Daily to come out. Much better then Sprinter. More cargo capacity (sprinter is 3.5 where daily max is 7t) and WAY less issues. I spoke with many drivers in Europe and many say that Sprinters are good vans but constantly have issues where Daily is very solid. All we need now is MANUAL transmission
Had one for a while , due to the long rear overhang after the rear wheels , I always felt like a boat in a rough sea , even felt seasick on some journeys . Footwear kept on catching on bottom of trim around pedal area & i do not have very big feet UK9 . 130HPI felt gutless compared to sprinter of similar power output , bigger engine , but needed plenty of clogging to make it get up & go . Oh and fuel consumption was worse in daily compared to sprinter .

YES daily holds a greater volume , but they are very easy to exceed payload limits with

For me , Merc all the way problems or not . 400,000+ miles in sprinters
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #23
ziggytwizzer

i agree, in the UK everyone who wants to drive for a living buys a sprinter, there are no company van fleets that use anything other than a sprinter, and to be fair you would have to have big balls and an understanding line manager to suggest a fleet of ducato's!
ziggytwizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:13 AM   #24
OldWest
T1N Westfalia

Think I read somewhere that the Ducato has 70% of the European RV market for vans and cab/chassis. Think I also read somewhere that the cab/chassis has an option for a wider cab. Interior width of van may be wider than Sprinter as there are Ducato campervans with cross-width beds. RV forums generally seem to indicate that engine/powertrain are fairly reliable but stuff attached tends to go. Also, Sprinters are supposed to be more reliabke than Ducatos. Just rumor mill stuff off RV boards.
OldWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #25
Altered Sprinter
Happy Little Vegemite

Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,867 Posts

As Monty Python sang' Always look on the Bright side of life.
Now there is a Sprinterette! And a Ford Transvestite' wanna bee Sprinter
Then there is Arty Farty Fiat.
all have the good the bad and the ugly points.
But all will sell, one by one, but nothing matches the specs of a Mercedes Sprinter or it's optioning. Never spook a truer word.
Richard
No Shalam - No Shalom
Now lets take back the - Sprinter-Forum.

Of course I'm being totally biased.
Driving my life Away in a 313 Cdi Mercedes-Sprinter

Altered Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #26
Geek

Current

photoshops:

It'll be interesting to see what dodge does to brand it.
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #27
RB7

Didn't any of you live through the FIAT era in America? They were some of the most unrelibale cars on the road. Everything would break. The engines were kinda neat and racy (but not particularly reliable) but the rest of the car just fell apart. My neighbor had a foreign car garage during that time and made a lot of money off of FIATs. Unless FIAT has completely changed, I would stay a mile away from this vehicle. I hope it's a great van, however, as the Sprinter could use some competition.
RB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #28
blakej59

This van looks about the size of an Ford E350 and he was accelerating fast from a stop light. Sounds like it may be front wheel drive with 4-pot diesel which surprises me. FedEx is also running some in USA. Anyone know anything about this not-so-good-looking beast? Introduction time, mechanicals, size?

Jim
blakej59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #29
jackpinner

I would like to have more input from the Euro's on these Vans, Sprinter VS the Ducato & Full size Transit. I have seen the Ford Transit (full size) but Ford has said nothing about a Diesel only the V6 twin Turbo Eco tech. Also if I read right front wheel drive on the Ducato for something that has to pull weight (no hitch for YOU). I prefer Automatic's over Manual.

Just read Green Car Reports the Ford full size will have some kind of new Diesel, but the small Diesel Transit Connect would make the price of a Transit start at over $25k not gonna happen.

Last edited by jackpinner; 05-24-2012 at 02:40 PM.
jackpinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #30
surlyoldbill

Thanked 2,517 Times in 1,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB7 View Post
Didn't any of you live through the FIAT era in America? They were some of the most unrelibale cars on the road. Everything would break. The engines were kinda neat and racy (but not particularly reliable) but the rest of the car just fell apart. My neighbor had a foreign car garage during that time and made a lot of money off of FIATs. Unless FIAT has completely changed, I would stay a mile away from this vehicle. I hope it's a great van, however, as the Sprinter could use some competition.
My first car was a Fiat 128. The thing was indestructable. It burned oil, and every once in a while the motor would stop because it didn't have enough oil. I'd add a quart, and off I would go. Also, being front wheel drive, it was a monster in the snow and ice of Central Oregon. I drove that thing straight through the woods and on jeep trails many, many times. I suppose my experience is a-typical of Fiat, but that was my experience. As a teenager, I abused the hell out of that car.
surlyoldbill is offline   Reply With Quote