Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > The Competition

The Competition Discussion of other vehicles similar to the Sprinter; Transit, Promaster, etc.
SubForum: Write-Ups

Old 01-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 14,822 Times in 9,399 Posts
Default Isuzu/Utilimaster vehicle a Sprinter replacement?

Graphite Dave got me interested in this by his comment. Sorry if this a duplication of the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite Dave View Post
Watch the development of the Utilimaster/Isuzu delivery van. It could be an answer. Supposed to be out end of next year. American built body with Japanese drive train could be a winner. I would hope they do not destroy the vehicle with an electrical system as poorly designed as the Sprinter. Van is supposed to be 10" wider than the Sprinter.
One reason it caught my eye was that I owned a Utilimaster Aeromate for quite a few years. It was a nice small size walk-in van. The problem with it for my regatta use was that it was based upon a Dodge Caravan 3.0 V6 gas engine. It had no towing capacity to speak of so I never was able to tow my boat. I thought the overall quality of the Utilimaster was pretty good.

One thing I notice right away is the capacity of the announced Isuzu/Utilimaster.

"The foundation of the vanís body-on-frame design will be a heavy-duty Isuzu NPR commercial truck chassis with a GVWR of 12,000 pounds."

I trust Roger, Sailquik will comment on the possible ramifications of that to private owners. I have appreciated his comments in the past.

Anyway, here's a link I found if you're interested.

http://www.isuzucv.com/news/04-10-WI...ease-FINAL.pdf

Have fun. vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
Chandlerazman

Default Re: Isuzu/Utilimaster vehicle a Sprinter replacement?

What does it look like? Chassis with a box? I would not mind something that will take less visits for check engine lights to the dealer, however the Sprinter is still very eye pleasing to myself, my customers and most importantly, My Homeowners Association!
Chandlerazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:36 PM   #3
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandlerazman View Post
and most importantly, My Homeowners Association!
Good question/point. With the 12,000# base I expect it will be pretty much boxy commercial looking, but I haven't seen any sketches. Edit: They did specifically mention Sprinters in their announcement though. vic
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 01-12-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
d_bertko

I ran a fleet of NPR-series Isuzu turbocharged diesels in 11000 to 26000 gvwr classes and with 16' to 26' boxes.

Terrific trucks. I remember getting called by an Isuzu company rep asking if there was anything I disliked. I mentioned it would be nice to check all the fluids without having to tilt the cab. Dang if next year's models didn't incorporate that change.

That's what I call a responsive truck mfr.

I have always considered the Mitsu all-wheel duallie my cab-and-chassis of choice for a serious off-road camper.

But none of these are car-like compared to the Sprinter. Apples and oranges.

Dan
d_bertko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:04 AM   #5
AddicksAir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
Graphite Dave got me interested in this by his comment. Sorry if this a duplication of the topic.

One reason it caught my eye was that I owned a Utilimaster Aeromate for quite a few years. It was a nice small size walk-in van. The problem with it for my regatta use was that it was based upon a Dodge Caravan 3.0 V6 gas engine. It had no towing capacity to speak of so I never was able to tow my boat. I thought the overall quality of the Utilimaster was pretty good.

One thing I notice right away is the capacity of the announced Isuzu/Utilimaster.

"The foundation of the vanís body-on-frame design will be a heavy-duty Isuzu NPR commercial truck chassis with a GVWR of 12,000 pounds."

I trust Roger, Sailquik will comment on the possible ramifications of that to private owners. I have appreciated his comments in the past.

Anyway, here's a link I found if you're interested.

http://www.isuzucv.com/news/04-10-WI...ease-FINAL.pdf

Have fun. vic
At one time, we had 3 of the Aeromates, great to work out of, but couldn't carry the weight.
We went to a UD 1300 which is close to the Isuzu in size. Good machine, but a lot larger than the Sprinter.
2009 Chev Express
2012 Transit Connect XLT
AddicksAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #6
qualityair
'09 144" Cargo

At over 10,001 lbs GVW,You would also be subject to the enhanced DOT regulations, if not titled as an RV.

Seems we had a discussion about the consequences a while back about those DOT regs. and they where quite severe.
qualityair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #7
jdcaples
Not Suitable w/220v Gen

Thanked 3,626 Times in 1,944 Posts

I liked this part:

http://www.isuzucv.com/engines/vehiclehealth.html

US Tech info: http://www.sprintertekinfo.com
US Parts info: http://epc.startekinfo.com (Subscribe to world passenger car and light transport)

Americans may learn to use MB technical resources and parts information here:
http://www.sprintertekinfo.com/epcdemo/start.swf
jdcaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #8
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Seems like really nice technology until the plaintiff's lawyer subpoenas the information to document your history of speeding so he can accuse you of reckless operation in the accident injury to his client. Then again I've been a bit pessimistic over the years. vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcaples View Post
Old 01-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #9
jdcaples
Not Suitable w/220v Gen

Thanked 3,626 Times in 1,944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
Seems like really nice technology until the plaintiff's lawyer subpoenas the information to document your history of speeding so he can accuse you of reckless operation in the accident injury to his client. Then again I've been a bit pessimistic over the years. vic
We sign up for that vulnerability when we buy products and/or elect to work for people that buy those products.

I don't like it, either, but I'd rather have a history of electronic records for analysis of a vehicle than rely on some wingnut to clear DTCs and try to replicate the problem before giving up and charging $150 for a shrug of the shoulders.

That's why my personal cell phone is not a smart phone, but rather "ancient" technology by modern standards.

The only RFID chip I own intentionally is in my passport.

The world's not going to stop just because I dig my heals into the dirt; the world's certainly not going back towards the simple, reliable anything. Hell, even my neighbor's mop has a battery, a tank and an electric squirt pump.

I just try minimize my exposure, to such data leaks. I'm constantly balancing living my life - and making a living - against similar vulnerablities to what you're citing. I do without modern conveniences as long as my aversion to such tech doesn't get in the way making money to pay the bills and fund my retirement.

-Jon

US Tech info: http://www.sprintertekinfo.com
US Parts info: http://epc.startekinfo.com (Subscribe to world passenger car and light transport)

Americans may learn to use MB technical resources and parts information here:
http://www.sprintertekinfo.com/epcdemo/start.swf

Last edited by jdcaples; 01-13-2011 at 03:49 PM.
jdcaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:09 PM   #10
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 8,494 Times in 6,158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon
The only RFID chip I own intentionally is in my passport.
...and the one in your Sprinter's key fob.

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote