Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:40 PM   #1
quillaja

Thumbs up Loss of Turbo/LHM solved!

Hi. I had previously posted (almost exactly 1 year ago) a desperate plea for help regarding a case of LHM / loss of turbo that was incredibly hard to diagnose. The thread relating to that can be found at https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=62456

I'm happy to report that my issue is now resolved. TLDR: it was a bad ECU. I don't know exactly what aspect of the ECU was bad, but I highly suspect something like a cracked solder connection.

The longer story that comes after the thread above is that I continued to poke around and try stuff. When the LHM would occur, giving the ECU a sharp whack with my hand most often got it working again for a time.

I examined the various wiring in the driver foot well area, in particular the fat wiring harness leading into ECU C2 connector, for chafing or fraying. I also checked its branches out in the engine compartment. I couldn't see any thing that looked problematic.

I swapped in a new fuse box, thinking that perhaps some connection in there went bad, but that didn't help. I replaced the intake hoses (but not the intercooler) for good measure, although I didn't really suspect them. That didn't fix the problem...though I did have to cut out the old plastic coupler where the MAP and IAT sensors go because the bolts rusted into the brass inserts...fun.

I examined and cleaned a number of related ground points, but that didn't do the trick.

I retested all the wiring to the turbo actuator, GPM, and O2 sensor. All the wires seemed to have continuity, grounds went to ground, B+ lines had ~13v with the engine running, etc...

After that, there was nothing else I could test, so I finally called SOS Diagnostics and sent my ECU in for testing. I wrote a condensed description of the symptoms for them, which you can read here on google docs if you're so inclined.

About 1.5 weeks after dropping the ECU off, SOS called me, said they duplicated my symptoms in their bench tester and also in their sprinter, that they went ahead and copied my ECU programming to a working ECU, and the bill. I would have preferred if they had called be BEFORE going ahead with the new ECU, but I was going to get a replacement from them anyway... so whatever.

That was about a month ago, and I've been driving the van nearly every day since with no problems.

So I suppose the moral of the story is that if you have really hard to diagnose problems that seem electrical in nature, perhaps it could be the ECU if you've ruled out easier and cheaper things.
quillaja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to quillaja For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (08-16-2019), autostaretx (01-10-2019), billintomahawk (08-17-2019), GPLYNCHBURG (02-03-2019), Martin Duffy (02-08-2019), Midwestdrifter (01-11-2019), Mike DZ (01-10-2019), robphxaz (02-09-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 08:51 PM   #2
Martin Duffy

Default Re: Loss of Turbo/LHM solved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quillaja View Post
Hi. I had previously posted (almost exactly 1 year ago) a desperate plea for help regarding a case of LHM / loss of turbo that was incredibly hard to diagnose. The thread relating to that can be found at https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=62456

I'm happy to report that my issue is now resolved. TLDR: it was a bad ECU. I don't know exactly what aspect of the ECU was bad, but I highly suspect something like a cracked solder connection.

The longer story that comes after the thread above is that I continued to poke around and try stuff. When the LHM would occur, giving the ECU a sharp whack with my hand most often got it working again for a time.

I examined the various wiring in the driver foot well area, in particular the fat wiring harness leading into ECU C2 connector, for chafing or fraying. I also checked its branches out in the engine compartment. I couldn't see any thing that looked problematic.

I swapped in a new fuse box, thinking that perhaps some connection in there went bad, but that didn't help. I replaced the intake hoses (but not the intercooler) for good measure, although I didn't really suspect them. That didn't fix the problem...though I did have to cut out the old plastic coupler where the MAP and IAT sensors go because the bolts rusted into the brass inserts...fun.

I examined and cleaned a number of related ground points, but that didn't do the trick.

I retested all the wiring to the turbo actuator, GPM, and O2 sensor. All the wires seemed to have continuity, grounds went to ground, B+ lines had ~13v with the engine running, etc...

After that, there was nothing else I could test, so I finally called SOS Diagnostics and sent my ECU in for testing. I wrote a condensed description of the symptoms for them, which you can read here on google docs if you're so inclined.

About 1.5 weeks after dropping the ECU off, SOS called me, said they duplicated my symptoms in their bench tester and also in their sprinter, that they went ahead and copied my ECU programming to a working ECU, and the bill. I would have preferred if they had called be BEFORE going ahead with the new ECU, but I was going to get a replacement from them anyway... so whatever.

That was about a month ago, and I've been driving the van nearly every day since with no problems.

So I suppose the moral of the story is that if you have really hard to diagnose problems that seem electrical in nature, perhaps it could be the ECU if you've ruled out easier and cheaper things.

Fantastic result and well done for hanging in there. How much did it cost?
Martin Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:15 PM   #3
glasseye

Thanked 1,870 Times in 1,010 Posts

Thanks for the update. One more example of SOS Diagnostics saving our collective ass.
They solved an RKE problem in Frito that eluded three dealers and Doctor A.

"Travels With Frito" Global travels by van, motorcycle and other www.petercmclennan.com

Absent this forum, I'd never have bought a Sprinter.
glasseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:54 PM   #4
quillaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Duffy View Post
Fantastic result and well done for hanging in there. How much did it cost?
I think it was about $700 total.
quillaja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quillaja For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (08-16-2019), billintomahawk (08-17-2019)

Tags
boost, limp home mode, module, turbo