Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:07 PM   #1
Hikinginpdx
Sprinter is for sale

Question CE Laurence window questions

A couple of questions regarding CR Laurence windows

Only one portion of the lower section of the T-Vent slider window opens. The issue seems to be with the fit of the fixed portion on the one I was sent. It appears that the window doesn’t close all the way, however, on closer examination it looks like the window does close but the fix portion next to it is glued too close to the mounting.

Is this the normal fit for these windows or was this sample assembled incorrectly?

Window joint-4.jpg
Window misfit-1.jpg
Window joint-5.jpg

Secondly, no installation documentation came with these and I just wanted to check my understanding of the weather stripping fit. The window comes with a mounted oval attached. It appears that this foam goes directly against the outside of the van wall. An additional roll of closed cell weather stripping came wiht the shipment, does this adhere to the inside of the van wall and then the retaining clip screws in over this?

Window Molding outside-1.jpg
Window foam-1.jpg

The cutting looks straight forward and I plan to treat the cut edge before seating the windows. Other than knowing the above I think I'm set.

Thanks

Keith
Hikinginpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
minigoogoo

Default Re: CR Laurence window questions

I returned a slider door window in similar condition just one week ago. Mine was about 1/4" out at the bottom of the window. I don't know if CR Laurence had a bad batch recently, but I do know that ours are not the only ones with this issue at the moment. Related to this issue or not, my first windows arrived after a very lengthy back order (several months long).

I'm now waiting for the dealer to get a batch of replacements in... and I'm hoping that they are better. If not, I'll probably take one of them as-is and have the fixed window removed, shimmed, and reglued.

I'll keep you posted on my experiences.

Nathan

PS - Where in PDX are you?
minigoogoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:06 PM   #3
Hikinginpdx
Sprinter is for sale

Default Re: CE Laurence window questions

Nathan,

Nuts, you just returned yours and I just got a rushed replacement with the same issue. My mind wanders on this...

When springing for this a product like this, one would expect to not have to take something apart and fix it before use. Any idea how much it might cost to have a glasier fix something like this? Maybe I should go that route instead of going back through CR Laurence again. Right now I don't have anything that will haul the window to get an estimate.

I'm on the west side, near Tanasbourne, but work in Hillsboro.

Jef was taking about trying to do a get together for folks in the Portland area, I think that is an awesome idea.

Keith
Old 11-02-2009, 11:22 PM   #4
NBB

CR Laurence tech suppt says you don't need that second layer of weather strip - that these windows only need the "D" one that comes attached to the window assy, and will contact the outside surface of the van. I think the clamp ring wouldn't sit right with that extra material in there. Let me know if you find different. Not sure why you would get shipped that roll of foam. Did you order it?

I, too, recently returned a window for the same issue as above. Sliding door, right? The one I returned was pretty gross and was actually delivered to me as an open box. The replacement was still off a bit, but maybe just a 1/8" or so. I think it's tolerable, as I think the gasket material will crush a bit over time. Yeah, kind of a joke. CR Laurence is definitely a "B" quality company, IMO. Take a look at the rest of that rig. There are no other options, though, so it will have to do. Just stand 5 feet away. Good enough.

FYI - after cutting the opening, I found the 2 layers of sheet metal collapsed or easily bent into each other when pinched, ie - like the force the window clamp will put on it. Depends on where the factory glue was, etc. Check it out. I was worried water might get through a few spots, particularly where the x-beams used to be. I layed a bead of window adhesive into the gap and let it cure for a day - now it's pretty solid all around.

- NBB

Last edited by NBB; 11-02-2009 at 11:25 PM.
NBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NBB For This Useful Post:
Hikinginpdx (11-03-2009)
Old 11-03-2009, 12:32 AM   #5
Hikinginpdx
Sprinter is for sale

NBB,

I've heard from a few people today that had the very same problem with the slider window.

Trucknvans has been awesome in working with me to get this resolved. They asked for pictures, which I sent, and heard back in a couple of hours that they were going to contact Laurence to get this resolved. At first I was really concerned about dealing with Trucknvans since they were the lowest bidder, but they have really stepped up to help through the miss ship and now this.

It is a shame that there isn't another vendor making the flush mount openable windows. Thats what we really wanted so we are in for the haul now.

I didn't order the tap, just 2 windows and they said they would ship everything I needed to install. Thanks for sharing your experience, regarding not using the tape. I'll most likely fill the gap as you described, great idea! I'm thinking I might fill the gap prior to cutting, this way all we have to do is prime the cut and install. We are hitting the rainy season, so its got to be a quick open and close on the van holes.

We are posting our conversion experience for our 'pony hauler' here on the site. Hopefully within the next 2 weeks, we'll be mounting the windows and vents .
The Following User Says Thank You to Hikinginpdx For This Useful Post:
lespaint2 (01-04-2010)
Old 11-03-2009, 01:22 AM   #6
OrioN
2008 2500 170" EXT

Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,029 Posts

I came, I saw, I laughed, and went... to Motion Windows to have a custom thermal slider made... in the middle of the install as we speak... pictures soon...
OrioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
minigoogoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikinginpdx View Post
When springing for this a product like this, one would expect to not have to take something apart and fix it before use. Any idea how much it might cost to have a glasier fix something like this? Maybe I should go that route instead of going back through CR Laurence again. Right now I don't have anything that will haul the window to get an estimate.
Not sure what it would cost to reglue, but I wouldn't expect it to be very costly. If I go this route, I'll be looking for a decent independent glass shop that I can work out the details with (do you know of any?). While I'm there, I'll have the windshield replaced, as a few airborne stones managed to find my glass this past summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikinginpdx View Post
Jef was taking about trying to do a get together for folks in the Portland area, I think that is an awesome idea.
I'd be up for that. Sounds fun!
minigoogoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #8
glasseye

Thanked 1,878 Times in 1,015 Posts

I bought a new but not-from-the-factory window for the bay opposite the slider window for my 140 cargo. There's no way in heck that I'm gonna take a saw to Frito so I need a good installer. There seems to be a few in the Portland area and I'd be willing to drive there from northern Idaho for the install. Any recommendations?

Peter

"Travels With Frito" Global travels by van, motorcycle and other www.petercmclennan.com

Absent this forum, I'd never have bought a Sprinter.
glasseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:58 PM   #9
scubanw3

Fortunately, last April I got one of the last Atwood late model Sprinter slider windows before they closed their Sprinter window plant in Iowa. Really sad they closed because their windows were definitely better than CRL. Both lower sections are awnings and both open. The window alignment is much better. Atwood told me that CRL purchased the Atwood product line. I was hoping CRL would incorporate the Atwood design and quality into their product but so far they have not. The slider awning window alignment to the fix window portion has been an ongoing issue. We’ve had pretty good luck. We have 2 installs coming up this week and next and we’ll see how they go.

For the past 4 years, we’ve hosted the annual NW SprinterFest in April and would be happy to host another get together. Lots of Sprinter things to see here, suspension up-grades, performance products, accessories, DRBIII and DAS Mercedes scan tools, a 4wd Sprinter, fabrication department, time for Q&A, etc. Let me know if you are interested.

Thank you, John
Sprinter Store
http://sprinterstore.com/
A division of Upscale Automotive, Inc.
19460 SW 89th Ave.
Tualatin, OR 97062
503-692-0846
scubanw3 is offline   Reply With Quote