Programable Special Module ( PSM )

sunview

I'm curious about this as well. I'm building my van and trying to determine if this is something I might need. It seems to only be required for turning on circuits given certain actions (door opening, etc).
You can "get" any signal from the vehicle, ( E.G. zero speed, park brake on, park brake off, lights on, door open etc. ) and process these signals, ( eg. vehicle stopped, zero speed, park brake on, door open = put door step out ). The signal processing is nearly infinite, depending on I/O. capacity of unit. signals can also be fed back in to the vehicle CAN BUS , with respect to safety and running of vehicle etc., (eg. switch on turn indicators and side marker lights when reversing )
It is a very versatile unit.

You can "get" any signal from the vehicle, ( E.G. zero speed, park brake on, park brake off, lights on, door open etc. ) and process these signals, ( eg. vehicle stopped, zero speed, park brake on, door open = put door step out ). The signal processing is nearly infinite, depending on I/O. capacity of unit. signals can also be fed back in to the vehicle CAN BUS , with respect to safety and running of vehicle etc., (eg. switch on turn indicators and side marker lights when reversing )

It is a very versatile unit.

Thank you so much - that’s the best description I’ve seen/heard yet. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow up question -
Can this be combined with the 3-button remote to engage some action when the 3rd button is pressed? I’m thinking flood lights or a Maxxair fan... (assuming you don’t have an alarm already tied to it)

sunview

Follow up question -
Can this be combined with the 3-button remote to engage some action when the 3rd button is pressed? I’m thinking flood lights or a Maxxair fan... (assuming you don’t have an alarm already tied to it)

I can only assume it is a signal on the Can Bus therefore it is a signal that can be acquired and manipulated.
Sorry, this is only an assumption of mine, I do not know it as a fact as I am still gathering information.

ptheland

2013 144" low top Passgr
If there is any similarity between the PSM in the NCV3 and VS30 flavors, there is a huge gap between theory and practice here.

In theory, you can do all sorts of wonderful things using the PSM. Opening doors can activate lights (in addition to the factory ones, of course). Interior lights can be controlled from multiple places in the van (say a switch by the bed and another near the front doors or on the dash). Exterior lights and the horn could be operated by a panic button (someone creeping around the outside of your rig at night). You could even have a personalized display of flashing lights whenever you lock or unlock the van via the remote. I'd love to add a short horn beep when locking the van with the remote so I didn't have to stare at the lights to make sure they flash quickly.

But in practice, you need to program the PSM to do all of these wonderful things. And Mercedes doesn't provide any end-user tools or documentation to perform that programming. At least none that I've been able to find. Some info is available to certain up-fitters. But my understanding is that all programming must eventually run through Mercedes to get onto the PSM. So that effectively limits the usefulness to larger up-fitters who are are able to spread the costs of programming and installing the program over the many vehicles they work on. Individual owners are pretty much out of luck.

Which isn't to say that I don't believe the people who have bought a PSM after the original build and had standard Mercedes programming installed on it. There are a couple of options that require the PSM - high idle and the sliding step at the side door are the two that immediately come to mind. I'm sure a cooperative dealer can get those done without too much difficulty.

But I don't see the usefulness for the typical individual RV builder on this forum.

Notfamous

If there is any similarity between the PSM in the NCV3 and VS30 flavors, there is a huge gap between theory and practice here.

In theory, you can do all sorts of wonderful things using the PSM. Opening doors can activate lights (in addition to the factory ones, of course). Interior lights can be controlled from multiple places in the van (say a switch by the bed and another near the front doors or on the dash). Exterior lights and the horn could be operated by a panic button (someone creeping around the outside of your rig at night). You could even have a personalized display of flashing lights whenever you lock or unlock the van via the remote. I'd love to add a short horn beep when locking the van with the remote so I didn't have to stare at the lights to make sure they flash quickly.

But in practice, you need to program the PSM to do all of these wonderful things. And Mercedes doesn't provide any end-user tools or documentation to perform that programming. At least none that I've been able to find. Some info is available to certain up-fitters. But my understanding is that all programming must eventually run through Mercedes to get onto the PSM. So that effectively limits the usefulness to larger up-fitters who are are able to spread the costs of programming and installing the program over the many vehicles they work on. Individual owners are pretty much out of luck.

Which isn't to say that I don't believe the people who have bought a PSM after the original build and had standard Mercedes programming installed on it. There are a couple of options that require the PSM - high idle and the sliding step at the side door are the two that immediately come to mind. I'm sure a cooperative dealer can get those done without too much difficulty.

But I don't see the usefulness for the typical individual RV builder on this forum.
You can do it yourself if you obtain the latest version of Xentry. I have the PSM installed. At the moment I'm getting my basic electrical ran through the van and rigging it all to a goal zero battery. Once I have my basic setup, I will be getting into Xentry and playing with the options.

Mid City engineering offers a smart high idle option and shows how to use Xentry to program the psm to work with activating the handbrake. If you visit their install site you can find it.

I plan on setting the PSM activate security cameras on my vehicle when I lock it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 50714

Some where, I stumbled upon an MB pub claiming programming software was available for the PSM module. I remember because it said it was for free.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom