Microwave

sonic1002

Hello! I think our original microwave is dying. Has anyone replaced their microwave and if so, what brand/model is your replacement? TIA!

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
The original microwave was either an Origo or Tappan, about 0.5 cu ft and 550/600 watts or so (different name brands, same microwave). Unfortunately, microwave was discontinued years ago and no replacement microwave with the proper dimensions to fit through the cabinet opening and air space is probably available.

The cabinet opening of about 18" x 10" (curved corners) restricts the possibilities.

Option 1. Replacement microwave.

Unlikely to find but would be nice. Consider the dimensions without feet or handles (every little bit helps, replace feet afterwards).

There may be Westy owners who do not use and may be willing to sell. Can also check ebay, etc., for one.

Option 2. Repair.

If lucky, might find a repair shop. Worthwhile if can't find replacement.

Option 3. Enlarge Opening

If can find a microwave which fits the interior space, can enlarge the cabinet opening (get rid of folddown cabinet door).

Possible searches for "micro" or "mini" or "compact" or "small" or "smallest" microwave brands might include Haier, Daewoo (a QT1 240V version used in Europe), and portable Wavebox (not good reviews). Have to confirm specs.

Haier, Danby, Proctor-Silex, Westinghouse, and other brands have small 0.6 cu ft microwaves which are slightly too big for cabinet opening (but may fit if feet or cabinet opening is enlarged).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BGTO1WC?tag=smallest-microwave-20

240v version:

http://www.daewooelectronics.co.uk/14l-compact-manual-microwave

Wavebox might fit without carrying handle?

https://www.amazon.com/WaveBox-Original-Portable-Microwave-Cobalt/product-reviews/B002P6NG0S

Option 4. Use Space for Something Else

Use the space for storage, like a toaster oven (have to remove when in use and cooldown before storing).

If must have a microwave, there is a small Whirlpool rounded cube microwave. Too tall to store in that space but could store elsewhere when not in use (behind benchseat).

https://www.amazon.com/whirlpool-sm...8&page=1&rh=i:aps,k:whirlpool small microwave

There are several small concept microwaves which apparently never made it to market, like

http://www.wayvtech.com/

http://www.beanzawave.co.uk/

-----------

Please post whatever you find and do. Thanks.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Note for 240V Users:

The Daewoo QT1, QT2, and QT3 look like they'd fit into the cabinet space below the junk-silverware drawer/hob. The different QT models look like they're the same except for color.

Don't know if the James Cook version has an electrical socket in that cabinet space like the NAFTA Westies.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Modifications for 240v Daewoo Microwave.

As the Daewoo QT microwave looks like it fits and gets good reviews, there are two possible modifications to make it possibly work in our Westies. Expensive but worthwhile if one wants a microwav in that cabinet storage area.

1. Transformer Step-Up

Use a 120v to 240v transformer. Will need one with big wattage. Ones on Amazon look awfully big.

2. 240v Inverter

OneManVan has an Exeltech 1100 watt, 120v inverter mounted behind the original Origo/Tappan microwave. The microwave plugs into the inverter and is used only off the inverter (so no need for switches, etc.).

With the Daewoo, one could install a 240v inverter just to run the microwave.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Note: American 240v is NOT the same as British/European 240v. So if buy 240v microwave, need a British/European 240v inverter. Different hz frequencies too.

American 240v is for American air conditioners, dryers, ranges, etc.--different receptacle prongs than British/European.

American 110v/120v and 220v/240vversus British/European 220v/240v.

sonic1002

We ended up keeping the original. It will run for exactly 4 minutes and then won't run anymore without a ten minute break. Willing to put up with that since it will be difficult to replace.

limerence

MrTomacco

Mr. Tommaco
We ended up keeping the original. It will run for exactly 4 minutes and then won't run anymore without a ten minute break. Willing to put up with that since it will be difficult to replace.

Sounds like a mechanical cooling fan may not be running and the magnetron gets too hot and shuts down. Do you hear a fan running when it is operating? There is a wave guide stirring fan that scatters the microwave beam around and may cool the magnetron too. Or a separate cooling fan for the electronics. Does it cook evenly? Anyone have a schematic?

Rob

limerence

Not sure how accurate the specs are but I saw this come up on a deal website for $40 shipped + tax.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Proctor-Silex-0-7-Cu-ft-White-Digital-Microwave-Oven/353454048?irgwc=1&sourceid=imp_0XT1Sp17VxyJRsb0UfQwQyYMUki0ARz0ExCTU40&veh=aff&wmlspartner=imp_2189989&clickid=0XT1Sp17VxyJRsb0UfQwQyYMUki0ARz0ExCTU40

If the dimensions are correct on the website, should fit. Westyventures was kind enough to send me the original microwave he was no longer using from his westy last week, so no longer searching for one myself.

paul3d

#68 - sold
I purchased this one and it fits!
I needed to add a little rubber feet to raise up a bit so the door would open, but otherwise everything it's great.

Thanks for the info!

Paul

Not sure how accurate the specs are but I saw this come up on a deal website for $40 shipped + tax.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Proctor-...ickid=0XT1Sp17VxyJRsb0UfQwQyYMUki0ARz0ExCTU40

If the dimensions are correct on the website, should fit. Westyventures was kind enough to send me the original microwave he was no longer using from his westy last week, so no longer searching for one myself.

MrTomacco

Mr. Tommaco
Is the fan operating? That is the only moving part. It is also used to spray the microwaves around. I would listen or open it up and see if the fan turns freely (POWER OFF!) Without the fan it may overheat and quit.

Riptide

I needed to add a little rubber feet to raise up a bit so the door would open, but otherwise everything it's great.

Thanks for the info!

Paul
So it slipped into the cabinet with no issues? How about getting it open? It seems that the handhold is on the top.

Can you post a picture or two?

limerence

Thanks for the info!

Paul
Glad it worked out Paul. It took me ages to find a small one dimensionally that looked like it would work. May pick one up as a back up if this one ever dies. What rubber feet did you buy and was there a place to screw them on or did you just buy adhesive ones?

-John

paul3d

#68 - sold
Here is a picture of the microwave

It slipped right in though the opening perfectly - But I needed to raise it up about 1/2" - so the door would open without hitting the opening . So I added some rubber feet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C36Z2RS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_MCMNAR2SYHAHKHGX41R3?psc=1

I added the feet after I put it in the cabinet.
And doubled up the feet to get the height.
(I tried 2 together, but it needs 3 or 4 feet stuck together to be high enough)

With the handle on the top makes it easier to open. Hope that helps.

Attachments

paul3d

#68 - sold
Glad it worked out Paul. It took me ages to find a small one dimensionally that looked like it would work. May pick one up as a back up if this one ever dies. What rubber feet did you buy and was there a place to screw them on or did you just buy adhesive ones?

-John
Thank you for your research! I'm happy it was a perfect fit!
I listed all of the info - Please let me know if you have any questions

Thanks!
Paul

Riptide

It slipped right in though the opening perfectly - But I needed to raise it up about 1/2" - so the door would open without hitting the opening . So I added some rubber feet.

I added the feet after I put it in the cabinet.
And doubled up the feet to get the height.
(I tried 2 together, but it needs 3 or 4 feet stuck together to be high enough)

With the handle on the top makes it easier to open. Hope that helps.
Thanks Paul. The original microwave had a sort of wood-and-metal frame to hold it in place or raise it (don't remember which; we took ours out long ago), but that's why there's screw holes in the floor of the cabinet in your picture.

paul3d

#68 - sold
Thanks Paul. The original microwave had a sort of wood-and-metal frame to hold it in place or raise it (don't remember which; we took ours out long ago), but that's why there's screw holes in the floor of the cabinet in your picture.
Oh good to look know!

So If you still have the wood-and-metal frame than may not need the rubber feet to get the door to open.

Top Bottom