4x4 worth the premium and wait

Michlb

Now what would be great is if mbvans submited your build to dealers around you!

Ha! Why make it easy when it can be difficult? MB dealers even have different local shopping systems. And we know that mbvans.com could be a central database but it’s not up to date.

There can only be one explanation: Dealers have no interest in such functionality. They don’t share, they don’t trade and they compete as much as they possibly can. Transparency is not in their interest, particularly when it comes to highly sought after items like 4x4’s.

VanGoSki

^^ I'm pretty sure dealers *do* trade. In fact, the 2020 German build slot I got to replace my delayed 2019 was acquired by my dealer in a trade. I didn't even have to go looking for it.

InspiredVan

Without a doubt the 4x4 is worth its weight in Gold. And with that said, a 2wd and good tires with a smart head on your shoulders will get you 80% of the way of a 4x4. It is when you get into deep sh$t that you cannot put a price tag on the 4x4. That and there is no comparison to the lack of depreciation of the 4x4 units vs the 2wd. At least out west in the mountains you can't give a 2wd rig away while the 4x4 holds a ridiculous amount of its original price tag.

For anyone looking, I have a lead on a very well spec'd 170 4x4 that'll be ready to roll in a month'ish timeframe. It is 2019 German Built 4x4 cargo in Pebble Grey that a local here is unable to go thru with the purchase on. He custom ordered it to have us a build it out and has been dealt some lousy cards of late...

warx

For anyone looking, I have a lead on a very well spec'd 170 4x4 that'll be ready to roll in a month'ish timeframe. It is 2019 German Built 4x4 cargo in Pebble Grey that a local here is unable to go thru with the purchase on. He custom ordered it to have us a build it out and has been dealt some lousy cards of late...
Pebble Gray & Black Leatherette are my chosen colors. Where is the dealer located? I was hoping to stay in California to avoid the a too long a drive and DMV fun. Pasting my ammended options below to see if there's a match:

Comfort Package
Edit Selections Chrome Grille Package
Comfort Plus Package
Swivel Seat Package
Exterior Lighting Package
Premium Plus Package
Premium Package
Driver Convenience Package
Trailer Hitch, 5,000 lbs.
Mounting rails for roof rack
Parking Package with 360 degree camera
Illuminated front exits
KL1 - aux fuel tap
ET4 Distronic code  
K51, Misfueling Prevention for Diesel

430 hp 70

'19 144 Gas Passenger - Carlsbad
I just left Hoehn Mercedes in Carlsbad and Jim has a bunch well optioned 4x4s sitting on the lot. He doesn't have any 144 high roofs, but he named everything else.

warx

None of the ones I've seen in my inventory searches have the Exterior Lighting Package (i.e. LED headlights). No bueno for my old eyes...

Also I am guessing I should hold out for a cargo and not crew (window only on sliding door side, no seats to remove).

sanomechanic

None of the ones I've seen in my inventory searches have the Exterior Lighting Package (i.e. LED headlights). No bueno for my old eyes...

Also I am guessing I should hold out for a cargo and not crew (window only on sliding door side, no seats to remove).
There are plenty of them out there. I just bought one 3 weeks ago

TXWJ

i have 2500 3: 2019’s in stock. Selenite 170 Cargo, Iridium 2500 170 Crew, Artic 3500XD 170 Ext. Dually. Have several Sold 2020 orders, I 2020 M2PV4X being built, Tenorite I think.

Last edited:

Agnes16

Pebble Gray & Black Leatherette are my chosen colors. Where is the dealer located? I was hoping to stay in California to avoid the a too long a drive and DMV fun. Pasting my ammended options below to see if there's a match:
This van is the one I have on order - we had some bad luck dealt with water damage at the house over the holidays and I now get to play Home Owner instead of Van Owner :(

It does NOT have Premium Plus or the LED Lighting Pkgs, it does have a Factory window on Slider door and Back Doors, Comfort, Comfort Plus, Premium pkg, Leatherette, Heated Seats, Factory Swivels etc... Van will be coming into the Seattle area.

Pls PM and I can email exact specs over. It is due to arrive later in Feb or beginning of Mar. Built in Germany so none of the Paint issues and other Random Part delays and QC issues that the Charleston built vans have had well documented cases of....

I must have found a needle in the haystack then. I found a loaded graphite grey 170 4x4 cargo in 1 day. Drove 3 hours and bought it the next day. LED headlights, heated leather and electric swivel seats, wood floor, roof track, 10.5" screen. Theres a few 4x4 170's in the PA, NJ area if thats what you're looking for.

65C02

I must have found a needle in the haystack then. I found a loaded graphite grey 170 4x4 cargo in 1 day. Drove 3 hours and bought it the next day......Theres a few 4x4 170's in the PA, NJ area if thats what you're looking for.
@Ray Catina?

Same here. After a year of looking finally found what I thought was the 'one' in Plano, TX. Prior to committing deposit , did another local search of my favorited dealers. Found one 4hrs away at Viti, Tiverton, RI - Sprinter Manager Bob Fioravanti - true gentleman. Great dealer to work with remotely, sells 4x4 all across country.

MBVANS inventory is off, but you can use it to find dealers with potentially interesting inventory. I put those in my favorites. I ignored dealers that do not post build sheets. Ebay also turned out to be a another source for interesting dealers - some show discount off of msrp. Google M2CA7X Distronic etc. Call dealers, ask them if they have any vans in the pipeline. You'll quickly find some dealers good to speak with, others not so much. Took little over a week from first contact, to vehicle in driveway. Vehicle is above and beyond what I expected. :thumbup:

warx

mbvans inventory is working again!

Now I am seeing a few "local" ones with LED headlights. Actually there's a few close hits but seems like none have swivel seats. Also no trailer hitch but I guess that's an easy one to add if there is a loom connection at least.

AltaDave

German built 4x4s are available in Canada. I was able to get a very fair deal on the perfect vehicle for a build and they even threw in ELW. Very excited.

65C02

My dealer claims all vans now come with hitch wiring pre-installed. When you look at vans in inventory, you should see the connector hanging down under the left rear bumper. Mine came with connector - no hitch installed. If needed, you can get a hitch for under $200, I went with the Curt as it has a higher weight rating. Hitch mode on the backup camera works fine as well.

warx

As an update I did find a 2020 (built and in the US waiting) in my first color choice with 95%(**) of wish-list plus some cool other stuff I probably should've considered anyways. I can relax and start planning my "west-coast-weekender" build.

** Missing are:
- Comf. Plus power/heat seats but does have Comfort Plus Seats (C0S = SB1,2)
- roof rails - have to get Vantech Track
- Distronic - had not even seen that was not in 2020 Premium Plus package until @Michlb pointed it out
- misfueling prevention - gettin' ready with the label maker

Top Bottom