1 scanguage II - 2 vehicles?

monkeyboy

So you are supposed to be able to move a scanguage between 2 different vehicles which I have only tried quickly in the garage. When doing so, I assumed that it would "remember" the settings of each vehicle, but apparently not. All the scanguage documentation says is that you can use it in multiple vehicles and you must wait for it to sleep before removing. It doesn't mention anything about resetting specifics for each vehicle. At a minimum, it seems I have to reset the tank and engine sizes, and fuel type every time I switch vehicles. Is this normal for using the scanguage on 2 vehicles or have I done something wrong? (I did wait for it to sleep). If it is normal, it would seem like it would be a challenge to get accurate gas mileage readings, estimates, etc. if switching frequently. Or should I just try it out in both cars few times and see?

thanks in advance.

Jonathan

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I sometimes move my Scangauge to friend's cars for code readouts, etc.
For actual day-to-day driving, it is as you say: change tank size (if you care), engine size and fuel type.
Read and memorize (write down) the percentage setting shown in the "Fillup" screen.
(some folks use the miles-left-in-tank, i read my fuel gauge).

Hopping back and forth means that it's -much- harder to -adjust- the Fillup percentange, since you'll be destroying the fuel-consumed data at each changeover.

For day-to-day usage on two vehicles, ScanGauge probably expects you to buy two units.

--dick

bikergar

Jonathon

Welcome to the forum...There's a lot of great people here.

My only dual use experience with the SC II was to read the codes on a second vehicle. I believe what yours is doing is normal. For correct readings you are going to have to reset everything to zero and change engine parameters when you switch vehicles.

gary

windsprinter

My understanding too - you will have to reset all the vehicle specifics. Put me off trying it in my different vehicles but probably not bad if you write down the values and do a fill-up right after switching, if you want the time (or miles) -to-empty and mileage readings to be accurate. You'd obviously have to keep it in each vehicle for a couple of fills to get the calibration numbers (and even then, mine seems to shift all over, don't know if thats a unit problem - even when it takes a big jump either way it still is more accurate than the Sprinter fuel guage). You can keep track of your overall mileage, and the calibration %, in the Fuelly.com website - quite useful, and a number of forum users are also on there.

Top Bottom