Best Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
I bought the Tire Minder TPMS and it works very well, but doesn't have a well designed flow through sensor. I do like to check and air up just about every trip so if I had to choose a TPMS today I would go with a TST or EEZ TPMS and flow through sensors. Tire Minder has excellent customer service and I do like their free battery replacement program.

fstclyz

I just installed the EEZ TPMS non flow through system for my 2019 Navion. Great system, easy to install and works well. Very accurate too.

TJLee089

2013 Itasca Reyo 25R
Nonsense. Air is already 78% nitrogen. In 50+ years of driving, I have never had tires replaced because the inside wore out before the tread. Have you? Show me one independent study verifying the value of nitrogen filled tires. Filling tires with nitrogen is a scam.

Plus or minus 5-10 psi has ZERO impact on deterioration of the inside rubber. I do agree proper inflation is important.

The elevated pressure, (1 atm = 14.7 psi) increases the partial pressure of oxygen allowing it to react more readily with the inside rubber. This is why pure nitrogen is better than plain old air. Even then, it's just best to keep your tires inflated properly.

Stins

2019 Unity MB
after having 3 tire minder systems, so I was obviously happy with them, I bought the tire patrol system from RVI.
love the big screen and seeing all tire at once.
best of all, no booster antenna needed.

Verien

I have the Tire Minder system like this https://mechanicguides.com/best-tire-pressure-systems/ and have had it from day one. Currently my TPMS is monitoring all 12 tires. No do not have metal stems. Has saved me already once in the mountains of WV. Warned me in enough time to get off road in a safe place.. Personally I think these system are a must!

As far as which one, pick one that matches your concerns, do want one that continues flashing data on its screen regarding tire pressure and temperature or do you want on to be alerted only when there is monitored data outside of preset ranges. Hardwired or not. Large screens or cigarette size monitors, etc.

I usually have enough things to do watching the idiots on the road so I am really not interested in the exact pressure and/or temp of each of the 12 tires. Only after I am alarmed that a tire's parameters was exceeded presets am I interested in that tires current parameters. That is my requirements for a TPMS, read others option in past threads/posts.

Do I care that tire reading do not match my hand held tire gauge? NO
DO I use them to air up the tires? NO

In general I am mainly interested in monitoring changes in temp or pressure. Once alarmed now I want to now current parameters.

Added: Yes, I use the booster, came with my initial package. You can try it with out, if communications is lost between the tire transmitter and monitor you will be alerted. Obviously if this happens I suggest adding the booster.

hoosierrun

The only reason I bought a TPMS is because I tow a vehicle (4 wheels down) behind my Sprinter LTV motorhome. Otherwise, we drove several thousand miles without TPMS when we weren't towing. My feeling is, when you are dragging a toad and get a flat, you might not realize it for a little while. That could lead to a serious accident or destroy rims and other parts of your towed vehicle. I use a TST system. It took a couple of minutes per tire (total of 10), so I can see where the time to set this up could take up to an hour. The first couple you set up will take longer than the remaining because of the learning curve. I am very happy with my system. When the head unit is fully charged, it will run a week to 10 days on internal lithium battery eliminating any cords on the dashboard.

aarpskier

2017 LTV Unity FX
The only reason I bought a TPMS is because I tow a vehicle (4 wheels down) behind my Sprinter LTV motorhome.
That's also why we originally bought and installed the TireMinder system. However, I am very glad we had it in September when we were not towing, because it saved our bacon. https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69764&highlight=good+bad+ugly The system alarm not only notified us of a leak on an inside dual, so we could use our portable pump to inflate the tire, but as we limped 150 miles to a repair facility we also knew when we had to pull over and re-inflate the damaged tire.

No do not have metal stems. ... I usually have enough things to do watching the idiots on the road so I am really not interested in the exact pressure and/or temp of each of the 12 tires.
Based on many recommendations in other threads, we installed metal stems on our steel wheels. We check the TPMS against a handheld gauge about once a month. We also check the TPMS every morning as part of our departure checklist, and again at every fuel stop. Takes about 10-12 seconds to cycle through pressures and temps for 6-10 tires.

msmolow

2019 Unity CB / 2018 Chas
I use the TST non-flow through because I was told it is lighter than the flow through type and therefore less likely to cause centrifugal force issues. That said it is a nuisance to remove them to add air because you need to use an anti-theft "key". I installed the one piece inner dually stem with rubber stabilizer. The solid long inner stem makes the tire not fit on most balancing machines.

TST makes a banded internal sensor which I considered but didn't buy because of the 4-5 year battery life. When the battery dies I would have had to break down the tires and buy new sensors. What I liked about the internal sensors was I could keep stock stems and rotate and balance the tires without issue. But the battery life kept me from buying them.

After living with the non-flow through sensors for the past three months, I think to do over I would go internal banded.

stormpeakco

'19 M-B/'19 LTV U-TB
I use the TST non-flow through because I was told it is lighter than the flow through type and therefore less likely to cause centrifugal force issues. That said it is a nuisance to remove them to add air because you need to use an anti-theft "key". I installed the one piece inner dually stem with rubber stabilizer. The solid long inner stem makes the tire not fit on most balancing machines.

TST makes a banded internal sensor which I considered but didn't buy because of the 4-5 year battery life. When the battery dies I would have had to break down the tires and buy new sensors. What I liked about the internal sensors was I could keep stock stems and rotate and balance the tires without issue. But the battery life kept me from buying them.

After living with the non-flow through sensors for the past three months, I think to do over I would go internal banded.
We had the non-flow external sensor TST system on our new travel trailer (previous) and that set up saved us when it was discovered (via the temperature sensor, that we had a bad brake hanging up and the temperature on the sensor rose sky high...even with a rubber valve stem).
And 3 months ago, on our new car driving 20 miles from the dealer we were alerted to a slow leak from a roofing nail.
Thus we're kinda sold on the general tpms concept (even more so with 6 tires).

Yeah, the cost of replacing the internal sensors (including a spare) every 3-5 years sounds pretty spendy but the advantage of just removing an external sensor and placing it on the spare without re-reprogramming anything and the low cost of replacing the Li batteries every other year is pretty sweet.

I'm still undecided on whether to purchase a new monitor with the external, non-flow through sensors vs. the internal ones on our upcoming '19 Unity TB.
Seems like using the anti-theft tool & bending down on ones knees to air up or manually check the pressure on the internal rear wheels will require having some dirty work clothes handy.

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
Just FWIW, the anti-theft rings are completely optional and almost always unnecessary. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone bothering to steal a TPMS sensor.

pfflyer

Just FWIW, the anti-theft rings are completely optional and almost always unnecessary. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone bothering to steal a TPMS sensor.
Agree with that. I just hand tighten the “anti-theft” nut and haven’t used the tool with no issues for 2 years.

Kosinar

2017 Unity TB Silver
I just installed the EEZ TPMS non flow through system for my 2019 Navion. Great system, easy to install and works well. Very accurate too.
Had this one for last two years. It does what is supposed to do. Never lost the sensor reading and battery is lasting for ever. No need to hard wire or plug in.

stormpeakco

'19 M-B/'19 LTV U-TB
Had this one for last two years. It does what is supposed to do. Never lost the sensor reading and battery is lasting for ever. No need to hard wire or plug in.
______________________________________________________-
Yes Kos, I've previously viewed their very well detailed video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGho49k9hDE

Did you obtain the flow through or non-flow through sensors AND
did you alter the OEM valve stems with after market, single piece, all metal ones or purchase the valve stem extensions listed on the EEZ web site?
Lastly, it appears EEZ offers a sensor programming service (for a nominal fee) for the folks who just need to JUST get back the road in a hurry. thanks. Dave

Kosinar

2017 Unity TB Silver
No. I did not get flow through sensors and I am glad I did not. Pressure reading variation comes from normal temperature change. I do not need to add air to my tires more than 1 time per year. That is when I take sensors off, replace batteries and air up the tires if they need it. Initially I used metal extended valve stem that came with my Alcoa wheels. Not a good idea. When I run over cattle guard grid on road in Utah left inner tire extended stem cracked in the middle from the shock and I got bad air leak. I managed to make it to the campground and installed my spare tire. I had tire valve replaced with normal metal stem and also removed extension from right tire. I realized that I did not need extension. I am able to remove sensor and air rear inner tires without extinction of extended stems. I just figured the way to do it. I have a right air nozzle and I can reach sensor with my hands. As long as I can do that I will never install extensions or extended stems. Just asking for trouble. Programming is extremely easy. Instructions are very clear you will have no problem.

Last edited:

Stins

2019 Unity MB
Ended up buying the RVI Tire Patrol system.
Have had it for 6 months now when I picked up my 2019 MB.
Love the big screen, good company to deal with, a bit expensive compared to other TPMS
makes but worth it to me.
No need for antenna or booster, runs on it's own wi-fi network.

Stins

2019 Unity MB
Love the big screen, good company to deal with, a bit expensive compared to other TPMS

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
I got Tired of my TireMinder system not being accurate, leaking through the sensor stem seal, and loosing pressure to simply check/fill the pressures with a tire gauge. The biggest issue for me was the variability in pressure readings, I was always concerned I might have a leak. Its understandable that the sensors would have a 1-2psi difference in reading with the digital tire guage i use to fill my tires, but it had a 12-2 psi difference between tires as well. So even though I kept my front tires the same pressure and then my dually's to a higher but same pressure among the dually's the readings would be completely different, no tire matched as they should have. Since I have experienced sensor seat to stem leaks from the removing and replacing wear a tear to check/fill the tires, I was always worried i could have a leak since non of the readings were as expected or consistent. So I decided to try the TST 507 system with the Flow Through Sensors and so far I love it. The screen is very easy to see. It constantly scrolls through the tire reading so you don't have to handle the monitor and press buttons for each tire reading like I had to with my TireMinder-66. It hangs neatly and out of the way on my dash clip. The readings are exactly 2 psi different from my digital gauge and the front tire readings match each other exactly and the dually's match each other as well. Checking and filling the tires is a breeze, just screw the stem cap off and treat just like your car tire. No removing and replacing the actual sensor to fill/check the tires and certainly no loss in pressure or wear and tear on the stem seal. I left the Rhino booster in place from the TireMinder and didn't install the signal booster that came with the TST. I don't know if the TST doesn't need it or it's using the boost from the TireMinder Rhino booster but it works great with out it's booster. I can even read the pressures when I take the monitor in the house and my rig is parked in the driveway, I never could do that with the TireMinder monitor. So the single strength between the transmitter and sensors is more powerful than the TireMinder was.

Attachments

TJLee089

2013 Itasca Reyo 25R
It is my understanding that batteries are not user replaceable. Correct?

Stins

2019 Unity MB
It is my understanding that batteries are not user replaceable. Correct?
that's right, but I find they last me atleast 2 years and then I send them all together to the Colorado office and I get them back within a week with new batteries changed.
The battery charge is less than I was paying with replaceable batteries.

TJLee089

2013 Itasca Reyo 25R
Do you remove the batteries during the off-season to make them last that long?

that's right, but I find they last me atleast 2 years and then I send them all together to the Colorado office and I get them back within a week with new batteries changed.
The battery charge is less than I was paying with replaceable batteries.

Top Bottom