Pros and Cons Adding Flares For Extra Space in 144

B

billintomahawk

At 5'9" I can sleep diagonal with no issue on my platform but I can't find an Asian girlfriend.

MWD, do you want to start the flair factory?

bill in tomahawk

bcman

My wife and I sleep transverse in our 140 WB T1N passenger van. I'm 5' 8", she's 5' 6". I thought having 5' 10.5" between the insulated window covers would be more than enough to be comfortable, but I was wrong. As Richard noted, typical pillows place your head a few inches from the headboard. You also extend your feet when you sleep; I really don't like the sensation of having my feet flat against something when I'm trying to sleep. I'd say give yourself at least 4" over your height to be comfortable.

Personally, I don't have much trouble sleeping in an un-level bed, unless it's really sloped (but in that situation there's usually a helpful rock nearby I can use to correct it). I think leveling the van is more important for cooking than sleeping.

warx

I am thinking about getting them without windows but maybe install one (drivers side) later if needed. Looks like the top half is pretty flat and obviously they are able to install CRL or other windows themselves. I've have fiberglass tools from other builds (hovercraft, ducts). I'd try making a plug/mold myself but I know how many, many hours goes into that! These ones look really nice.

Guess cutting for a window would void warranty etc. but I don't think it should be too hard.

tompat01

I just bought a 2018 144" low roof and it is currently in the process of being shipped to me in Germany (Army). I'm 5'9" and my wife is 5'6", we currently have the dimensions of the interior taped down to the floor in our living room just to see how the layout is. The van has a Adventure MOAB installed and we are toying with the idea of sleeping east to west and dropping one panel of the MOAB. this would provided more space for storage or whatever. I am thinking if we cant get comfortable because of the width being almost exactly 69" I would want to get a set of these installed. One of my concerns is the strength of the 3m adhesive and if it gets hit from the inside is there a possibility of it dislodging from the outside of the van. I know that this is something that will most likely never happen but just a concern.

Built.Vans

2024 170 AWD
I just bought a 2018 144" low roof and it is currently in the process of being shipped to me in Germany (Army). I'm 5'9" and my wife is 5'6", we currently have the dimensions of the interior taped down to the floor in our living room just to see how the layout is. The van has a Adventure MOAB installed and we are toying with the idea of sleeping east to west and dropping one panel of the MOAB. this would provided more space for storage or whatever. I am thinking if we cant get comfortable because of the width being almost exactly 69" I would want to get a set of these installed. One of my concerns is the strength of the 3m adhesive and if it gets hit from the inside is there a possibility of it dislodging from the outside of the van. I know that this is something that will most likely never happen but just a concern.
Hey Pat! I am picking my van up from the shop today, I had flares installed too! The only trouble you will have with having flares installed on the van is the L-track and braces are right in the opening where the flares would go. It would still be possible but you would have to remove the vertical MOAB braces and then install a way to mount the MOAB rails to the walls, not impossible but something to think about. Can't wait to see the van in Germany!

VanGoSki

... The only trouble you will have with having flares installed on the van is the L-track and braces are right in the opening where the flares would go. It would still be possible but you would have to remove the vertical MOAB braces and then install a way to mount the MOAB rails to the walls, not impossible but something to think about. C
Just FYI, their new V2 wall brace kit solves this issue. https://adventurewagon.com/collecti...cts/wall-track-bracer-kit-for-sprinter-144-v2

judah8750

I thought I'd add my Flarespace experience to the thread for anyone in the future looking for reviews. I bought the flares on closeout off the website for the "Winter Special" price of $1,100 saving me $500. This restricted me from adding the bunk window but in the end I'm glad and prefer the clean look, nothing to bump my head on and the privacy. I paid $450 to a paint guy to match my paint, I don't think this price is really beatable from my research. I installed the flares with a friend and it was super easy.

I ordered the Flarespace Trim Ring set with the plan to hopefully just paint those and avoid difficult upholstering of the trim pieces as the website says they are paint ready. In the end they are not in my opinion paint ready and in-fact they shipped from the manufacturer with some defects. Flarespace immediately shipped me a new set and were amazing on customer service. I spoke to them 3 or 4 times to ask little questions about the install etc.. and they were great. I decided to go ahead and upholster them and that turned out to be really simple, especially after watching a great youtube video on that from Grant at Fredomvango. I'm glad I did that too because the look and softness are better than if I had painted.

After looking around for a mattress to cut I decided to just go ahead and order the Custom Flarespace Memory Foam Mattress For Sprinter 144" off of their website. I have to say it is awesome, perfectly cut, lays in to all the little nooks and is super comfortable. It is soy based memory foam and has an organic cotton cover. I'm really glad I went ahead and did that. I didn't find any mattress reviews so I was a bit nervous. I highly recommend that mattress.

Final take away: I'm 6 feet and can sleep perfectly side to side without coming close to touching my head or feet. I was able to get an 80" x 60" bed into my 144" and have tons of extra room fro the rest of my buildout. My mountain bike fits perfectly underneath and even with the roof a touch lower from the Sportsmobile penthouse pop top, there is plenty of space to feel comfortable. The DYI install and and upholstering were not overly complicated and the mattress is a winner.

Photos

Last edited:
B

billintomahawk

Judah,
How does the sliding door work with the flair. I'd love to see a picture of that side?

Does the cargo door fold flat?

bill

Built.Vans

2024 170 AWD
I got the mattress too and while I have not installed it yet we did lay on it in the house and it is super comfortable!

Sliding door clears the flare by a few inches and I have the 270 degree cargo doors that do not open as tight to the van like my NCV3 doors did so they clear the flares by quite a bit.

I thought I'd add my Flarespace experience to the thread for anyone in the future looking for reviews. I bought the flares on closeout off the website for the "Winter Special" price of $1,100 saving me $500. This restricted me from adding the bunk window but in the end I'm glad and prefer the clean look, nothing to bump my head on and the privacy. I paid $450 to a paint guy to match my paint, I don't think this price is really beatable from my research. I installed the flares with a friend and it was super easy.

I ordered the Flarespace Trim Ring set with the plan to hopefully just paint those and avoid difficult upholstering of the trim pieces as the website says they are paint ready. In the end they are not in my opinion paint ready and in-fact they shipped from the manufacturer with some defects. Flarespace immediately shipped me a new set and were amazing on customer service. I spoke to them 3 or 4 times to ask little questions about the install etc.. and they were great. I decided to go ahead and upholster them and that turned out to be really simple, especially after watching a great youtube video on that from Grant at Fredomvango. I'm glad I did that too because the look and softness are better than if I had painted.

After looking around for a mattress to cut I decided to just go ahead and order the Custom Flarespace Memory Foam Mattress For Sprinter 144" off of their website. I have to say it is awesome, perfectly cut, lays in to all the little nooks and is super comfortable. It is soy based memory foam and has an organic cotton cover. I'm really glad I went ahead and did that. I didn't find any mattress reviews so I was a bit nervous. I highly recommend that mattress.

Final take away: I'm 6 feet and can sleep perfectly side to side without coming close to touching my head or feet. I was able to get an 80" x 60" bed into my 144" and have tons of extra room fro the rest of my buildout. My mountain bike fits perfectly underneath and even with the roof a touch lower from the Sportsmobile penthouse pop top, there is plenty of space to feel comfortable. The DYI install and and upholstering were not overly complicated and the mattress is a winner.

Photos

judah8750

Judah,
How does the sliding door work with the flair. I'd love to see a picture of that side?

Does the cargo door fold flat?

bill
As Built said, no issue with the slider. It's less deep on the passenger side to account for that. I only have the cargos that open half way.

I added a photo here

Last edited:

marc1

Photos
Looks great. I too have a 144 with Sportsmobile top and am contemplating the Flares. What height did you place your bed rails at ?

judah8750

Looks great. I too have a 144 with Sportsmobile top and am contemplating the Flares. What height did you place your bed rails at ?
There's really only one good choice when you do the flares especially if you buy the trim rings. It all works perfect though so it will line up your bed panels with the trim. I think they are 31.5" off of the flooring. That allows for the inch of aluminum tubing, 3/4"ply and a 1/4" of foam and fabric. It's all worked out really perfect. I self upholstered bed panels from Overland and i had a guy weld in a small extension to get the full 60" width which is queen size and the flare mattress fits that way too. It was less than a $1000 for the rails and panels all done up.

With that 31.5" of clearance, my mtn bike fits perfectly underneath with the wheel off and quick release mounted to the floor. That leaves 27" from the top of the platform to the low part of the pop top rails. It's a little tight but not really bad, just enough. The cool thing though is we slide that pop top bed towards the front as far as it will go and our daughter(9) just climbs up and down off of our bed. This leaves us a big opening over our bed to sit up and and also to look out of those upper pop top windows. I didn't plan that, but it is awesome.

Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.

judah8750

how CANT there be a cheaper version of this-3000 bucks? I know its worth it if you have the money but thats Aton of cash
It is expensive, for me it was the crux of the build so I planned on it from the beginning. You could definitely make your own mold but it would be a lot of work. When you do get them in the mail you can see how much subtle detail there is to match the curve of the van etc .... Also how much material goes into them.

Maybe someday we'll just be able to 3d print things like this!

Top Bottom