Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Pleasure-Way

Old 09-23-2018, 03:55 PM   #1
Rocky Mtn Sprinter

Default Spare tire carrier

I have a 2018 Pleasure Way Plateau FL without a spare tire (which I knew when I bought the unit). Can anybody recommend an after market spare tire rack for this unit, that doesn't use the receiver hitch?
Rocky Mtn Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:24 AM   #2
Brian T

Default Re: Spare tire carrier

Hi...just received a rear door tire mount kit from sprinterstore.com for use on our 2018 Ascent. Kit material looks very good, instructions straight forward. Installing it next week, think it’ll be very good.....Brian T
Old 09-30-2018, 08:05 PM   #3
skipsteller

I was able to get the "real deal" from PW as an add on when I got my 2016 Ascent. If interested, you may want to ask Michael Paulo at PW if they are still available through PW or their vendor.
skipsteller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skipsteller For This Useful Post:
Rocky Mtn Sprinter (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 01:32 AM   #4
HighPockets

Rocky Mtn, do you know why your Pleasure Way did not have a spare, i.e., was it a conscious decision by somebody? Maybe they assumed anybody with a Pleasure Way would call someone else for help anyway. That area makes a really good place for fresh or gray/black water. I'm sure off road enthusiast would always want a spare. The aforementioned may not care if their AAA is paid up. Just wondering, haven't done away with mine yet.

Gene
Old 10-01-2018, 05:17 AM   #5
Rock Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPockets View Post
Rocky Mtn, do you know why your Pleasure Way did not have a spare, i.e., was it a conscious decision by somebody? Maybe they assumed anybody with a Pleasure Way would call someone else for help anyway. That area makes a really good place for fresh or gray/black water. I'm sure off road enthusiast would always want a spare. The aforementioned may not care if their AAA is paid up. Just wondering, haven't done away with mine yet.

Gene
I think I may be able to answer that question. I visited the Pleasureway factory a couple of years ago and discussed the lack of the spare tire on newer units with Phil and Grant.

There's a number of reasons why Pleasureway has stopped including the spare tire. One is that the observed frequency of tire failures with modern tires is amazingly low. Second, there is a cost savings to not having a spare tire, which can be passed on to the customers. Third, there is a weight "penalty" to having the spare tire and carrier, which can be translated into improved fuel economy as well as increased OCCC. Fourth, the spare tire and carrier used by Pleasureway impedes access to the driver side rear door--and once lowered, it's pretty heavy to lift back into place. It's not something to just cavalierly lower and lift back up. Finally, for many of these same reasons, many OEM manufacturers are not currently including spare tires as a standard item, and instead are including a "fix-a-flat" type kit--which Pleasureway is now including with their units.

At any rate, these are their reasons.

For myself, this past summer I had failure of a flat tire due to a leak that developed with one of my extended rear valve stems, I found it a tremendous convenience to have my spare tire that I could swap onto the van to then drive where I could have the tire repaired. The big thing about having the spare tire is that it can turn a disaster into an inconvenience. My personal experience with flat tires (albeit mostly on trailers) is that when a tire fails, it often fails catastrophically, and no amount of fix-a-flat is going to allow me to use a tire that's delaminated and shredded a sidewall.

Now all this being said, I like the tire carrier that Winnebago has used on prior units. It hinges to the driver-side rather than lowering. To get it out of the way to access the driver side rear door, all you have to do is swing it to the side. Then, after closing the rear door, the carrier can be swung back into place rather than having to bodily lift the very heaving tire and carrier to put it back--as is the case with the Pleasureway carrier.

Hope this helps and answers a few questions!

Rock Doc
2014 Pleasureway Plateau TS in 2013 Sprinter 3500
Rock Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rock Doc For This Useful Post:
HighPockets (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 06:45 AM   #6
HighPockets

Any travel trailer with dual axles will have regular flats, shredded usually. One that I hadn't noticed until someone passed me and brought it to may attention by sign language was shredded completely apart. Only the steel edges of the tire were left. My Lexus has had an unusually large number of flats but my previous truck with big heavy tires had none. Question: if the tire is too heavy to lift under the vehicle how do you get it up onto a rear door carrier. I know I'm now too weak to do it.

Gene
Old 11-02-2018, 02:20 AM   #7
bigpapaporsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Mtn Sprinter View Post
I have a 2018 Pleasure Way Plateau FL without a spare tire (which I knew when I bought the unit). Can anybody recommend an after market spare tire rack for this unit, that doesn't use the receiver hitch?
We just purchased a 2017 PW Plateau XL TD and are planning to install a Spare Wheel Assy before the FMCA Rally this March in Georgia.

I am curious as to why you don't want a Hitch type mounted Spare Wheel.

Our plan is to replicate the mounting hardware that Roadmaster sell through eTrailer. They want $500.00 for their, I should be able to do it for much less! I've found a used Rim/Tire on Ebay for around $200.00 plus shipping. I'll use a Hard Cover (Painted the body color) with a Stainless Steel Band and then modify a Mercedes Emblem and mount it in the middle of the cover. This should look very professional! Their Hitch Adapter also doubles as a regular Reese Type coupler so you can still use the Hitch to pull anything. I don't see much of a down side to this configuration. The Reese receiver will be used to attach either a Bike Rack or a Storage Trunk.
bigpapaporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:41 PM   #8
Westham

I removed my spare wheel from my 2008 PW TS as it struck out over the side walk and also prevented the drivers side door from opening unless lowered, if you have ever tried to lift one back into place you will understand why I removed it. I have air ride springs on the rear and a compressor with air line so if I get a flat or a soft tire I can add air all day long, if it won't hold air then it's a phone call and a wait for the repair man with another tire (fingers crossed this won't happen.
Westham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:00 PM   #9
vidwize

All, great comments about spare tire or no spare tire. I have a 2005 PW Plateau which had several owners before me. Very low engine miles, I drove it to Ohio from New Orleans first trip, 10 minutes after arriving a rear tire went flat... being a holiday I was glad I had a underside spare tire, Drove it to a tire store to find out that rim had one pin hole ! The past owner had filled rear tires with 100lbs of air, Because his firestone air ride bags would not hold air, I myself replaced one, after both of these bags would not hold air for long ! What I did was put some Green tire Slime tire sealant ( Pep Boys) in each bag through the shredder valve, added air and drove around town, Now every six months it will need 1lb per bag. The van now drives a lot more stable... I like the rear under belly spare tire, I used a jack to restore the tire back up into place.

I don't want problems in the remote areas I fly fish, I would rather be fly fishing !
vidwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:38 PM   #10
Westham

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidwize View Post
All, great comments about spare tire or no spare tire. I have a 2005 PW Plateau which had several owners before me. Very low engine miles, I drove it to Ohio from New Orleans first trip, 10 minutes after arriving a rear tire went flat... being a holiday I was glad I had a underside spare tire, Drove it to a tire store to find out that rim had one pin hole ! The past owner had filled rear tires with 100lbs of air, Because his firestone air ride bags would not hold air, I myself replaced one, after both of these bags would not hold air for long ! What I did was put some Green tire Slime tire sealant ( Pep Boys) in each bag through the shredder valve, added air and drove around town, Now every six months it will need 1lb per bag. The van now drives a lot more stable... I like the rear under belly spare tire, I used a jack to restore the tire back up into place.

I don't want problems in the remote areas I fly fish, I would rather be fly fishing !
If I had room I would go for the spare under the van but there is no room as the propane tank and generator take up that space.
Happy trails and fishing, and fingers crossed for me.
Westham is offline   Reply With Quote