Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:47 PM   #1
ChiChi

Default Roof Leak Skylight

Today looks to be my christening an RV owner. I live in San Jose purchased a used 2016 Winnebago ERA170C in April. After 6 months we are just starting to get some rain.

I saw a small leak at the top of the passenger sliding door about 6" back from the pillar. The obvious culprit was the awning attachment points, spent yesterday resealing those areas. Rained last night and the leak was back with a vengeance. Further investigation has revealed the problem to be that the front skylight was not sealed correctly when it was installed. There is quite a bit of water in the headliner and insulation. I will remove and replace as much insulation as I can reach. Before putting things back together I plan to run a commercial dehumidifer inside the closed RV for a couple of days. Complete removal of the headliner would require all interior cabinets coming out and I really want to avoid that. Does anybody have any suggestions that might be helpful?

Another item that I am not sure is related is the backup camera has become a blur, the lenses themselves look fine. Any ideas?

Thanks,

George
ChiChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:21 PM   #2
hambleton

Default Re: Roof Leak Skylight

Best you can probably do short of removing the headliner is to get air flowing up there.

Is the backup camera exterior lens clean? I've left a smudge of soapy water on there before. Also look to see if there's condensation inside the lens.
hambleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:53 PM   #3
ChiChi

The camera lens looks fine, the camera has gotten progressively worse since it started raining a week ago.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:40 AM   #4
ChiChi

I parked the vehicle inside yesterday and last night, put a commercial dehumidifier and small space heater inside for 18 hours. Things were nice and dry this morning, removed the skylight, replaced insulation and reset the skylight today. I was forwarned by a friend about the rv industries QC so while a bit freaked out by the leak I am not to upset about it. Fixing it did give me a better understanding of how things are put together and more confidence when the next problem comes up.

Now it is on to fixing or replacing the camera, upgrading the stereo, fine-tuning the storage at the area behind the bathroom, getting a finish carpenter do redo the dead head drawer next to the sink and welding up the new tire carrier/bike rack.

Recreation Vehicle indeed

We put about 500 miles a month on the Era 170 C and do a least 1 overnighter a month still very happy with it.

Last edited by ChiChi; 01-18-2019 at 05:21 AM. Reason: changed 5o miles a month to 500 a month
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChiChi For This Useful Post:
hambleton (01-18-2019), hein (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 02:34 AM   #5
hein
Van Guru

Thanked 1,927 Times in 1,097 Posts

Glad to hear you got it to stop leaking. We have a rear view camera that isn't as clear as it once was. I need to replace it too.

All the best,
Hein
Old 01-18-2019, 09:22 PM   #6
wankel7

What type of sealant did you use?
wankel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:38 PM   #7
Kevsuda

I would just warn about keeping the dehumidifier going and being absolutely sure you have dried the vehicle out. Mold could be a real issue that would probably involve an insurance claim if it's growing up there without you knowing.
Kevsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:57 AM   #8
ChiChi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
What type of sealant did you use?
I used Pecora BA-98 Butyl Sealant an equivalent to Sika 710.

Tested the wood framing at the skylight hole for moisture content before I put things back together, it was around 14%.