Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:43 PM   #101
redbusdriver

Default Re: Thule- new awning option

My install job at Rack Attack used one set (2) brackets. They are about a foot in from the ends of the awning. I do see flexing during the time the awning is not supported by the legs, the first few feet of extension and last few feet of retraction. Another set of brackets (most sites list them around $99 per set of 2) may be a good idea.

If you go with 2 sets, post your results please. I may get another set for safety/roof rail flex and will post if I do.

BTW, I just got another call from ETrailer.com, they verified Thule is not making the leg to van side brackets anymore, so the remaining stock at Jegs is the only source I have found.
redbusdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:19 AM   #102
lambchops

Installed my awning onto my 2018 2500 4x4. Used two brackets. I also used a 1/4 aluminum shim between the bracket and the factory track, as the bottom of the bracket was rubbing on the roof rib. I have a Rhino Rack Pioneer platform and the fit was very tight as I imagine it would be with other platform/tray systems. I was able to use a reversed L bracket and attach from my platform to the back of the awning. This gives me an additional middle attatchment point.
The connection for the crank is definitely finicky. I will definitely be trying out the grommet adapter mentioned in this thread and will also be putting some kind of clear protector on the van underneath the crank port.
All in all a quality product and it is the cheapest awning I could buy in Canada.
lambchops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:56 PM   #103
jagarcia89

FYI for anyone wondering if the rack mount and direct mount are any different other than which brackets are included- YES THEY ARE.

Etrailer customer support told me they were the same, but everything I saw of the direct mount did not seem to have the 2 channels. So I contacted Thule and they were very confident the awning itself is different. So keep that in mind if you are planning on mounting this awning using custom adapters/mounts.
jagarcia89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagarcia89 For This Useful Post:
AKCub (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 09:36 PM   #104
asimba2
2016 4cyl High Roof 144

I used 3 towers (split a second install kit with a friend), but I don't think it's necessary. The awning was designed to be mounted on Thule roof bars that might be close together on a smaller vehicle and farther apart on a larger one. The case isn't picky like Fiamma about location of the mounts.

Thule Hideaway on a 144 Sprinter video here.
asimba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to asimba2 For This Useful Post:
proto (09-01-2018), rararames (08-31-2018), singletrac (09-17-2018), slopeboulder (09-05-2018), turbodave (08-31-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 09:07 PM   #105
hein
Van Guru

Thanked 1,934 Times in 1,100 Posts

We have produced a limited run of awning mounts. We did a test fit-up with an 8ft awning on a 170 which would not be a good choice because the sliding door when open will interfere where you would need to place the brackets for the support legs. The legs were actually about 6" short to reach the ground but they did work. Not sure if the legs on the 10ft are longer. We have VHB backed threaded pads for vehicle mounted leg brackets as well. Similar to what we offer for the Fiamma. We ordered the brackets direct from Thule. Here are some photos. Please contact Kim via DIYvan to get pricing and order. Recommend 3 mounts for 10 ft awning. Would not mount an 8ft awning on a Sprinter. Some photos:

prototype bracket installed. There are EDPM pads where bracket contacts the vehicle body.

Last edited by hein; 09-11-2018 at 09:13 PM.
hein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hein For This Useful Post:
AKCub (09-11-2018), noercarr (09-17-2018), Obliged (09-13-2018), TaoOfWoo (10-14-2018), zipperje (09-17-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 05:48 PM   #106
Obliged

Those look like very high quality! Thanks for the input on the 170. I hope Thule decides to make a longer awning.
Obliged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:19 PM   #107
SpamVan

I'm using the Thule rail mounts & Hein solar mounts to mount the 10' on my 170... need to slide it forward, realized it's not really effective in the rain when there's a foot long section of the doorway left open.

https://imgur.com/a/zxkvKnO
SpamVan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SpamVan For This Useful Post:
Napzard (09-21-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 11:46 PM   #108
pwe312

Quote:
Originally Posted by hein View Post
We have produced a limited run of awning mounts. We did a test fit-up with an 8ft awning on a 170 which would not be a good choice because the sliding door when open will interfere where you would need to place the brackets for the support legs. The legs were actually about 6" short to reach the ground but they did work. Not sure if the legs on the 10ft are longer. We have VHB backed threaded pads for vehicle mounted leg brackets as well. Similar to what we offer for the Fiamma. We ordered the brackets direct from Thule. Here are some photos. Please contact Kim via DIYvan to get pricing and order. Recommend 3 mounts for 10 ft awning. Would not mount an 8ft awning on a Sprinter. Some photos:

prototype bracket installed. There are EDPM pads where bracket contacts the vehicle body.

Do these work with the direct mount or rack mount version of the awning? Does it matter? Do you know if it'll fit under an aluminess rack?
pwe312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:33 AM   #109
hein
Van Guru

Thanked 1,934 Times in 1,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwe312 View Post
Do these work with the direct mount or rack mount version of the awning? Does it matter? Do you know if it'll fit under an aluminess rack?
Thank you for writing.

We used the rack mount awning. No additional Thule components are needed. We supply all the hardware with our mounts.

Aluminess racks are mostly custom so would depend somewhat on the particular rack. From what I can see online it appears that the position of the awning would interfere with many of their designs. Perhaps contact them about attaching the awning to the rack.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
pwe312 (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 05:28 PM   #110
Obliged

I wrote Thule and mentioned that I really love their Awning, but wished they offered a longer one for 170 wb Sprinters. I got a personal reply back the next day, stating they will route that suggestion to the right team.

If you think Thule should produce a longer Awning, please click this link and voice your opinion. Only takes a few seconds.

Thule Contact: https://support.thule.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
Obliged is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Obliged For This Useful Post:
Mickyfin (09-30-2018)