Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Regional Discussions > Australia, New Zealand, and Asia Pacific

Old 07-02-2017, 02:23 PM   #1
Fastcadjack

Default Removing rear aircon from 2013 316 CDI

Just joined and this is my first post.
I recently bought a 2013 316CDI MWB Ex Ambulance (converted by ETT) and in the process of converting to a camper. 1st decision was to remove the rear aircon as it took up too much headroom and i wasnt going to idle the van for hours to keep cool while camping. I have made this thread to contribute to the info pool as there wasn't a lot of detailed info online to guide me for my model van.
Get the plastic facia off the headlining is pretty straight forward so I won't go into detail. Main questions I had and couldn't really find out were "are there two compressors or just one that runs both front and rear" and "how big a hole in the roof will there be"?

1) for my model there is only one compressor. The pipe work runs from under van up the pillar between the passenger front door and slider and across roof to the ac unit. If you remove plastic cover from pillar and headlining you can easily access the pipes. There are pad joiners for both gas pipes near top of pillar. Once you have degassed the whole system you can use these joints to split the gas pipes. BEWARE there is still some pressure in pipes so ease apart with bolt still in thread. If you remove the rubber hose off the pipe joints for the pipes that run across roof you can get the ends tig welded up and reuse them to block off the pipes on the pillar. Once this is done system can be regassed and front AC is back in action. NOTE less gas is needed so make sure your AC guy doesn't just "filler back up" again. Original gas charge was 1 kilo or so. Final after mods was 820 grams. Will post photos when I figure out how to.

2) it's a BIG hole when AC is removed. Approx 800mm x 350mm. Once pipes and wiring were disconnected roof unit was very easy to remove. Just undo all the screws from the underside and the clamp arrangement comes away and you simply lift the roof unit up and out from above. Mine only had a basic sealing tape as a gasket and wasn't stuck to the roof.
I then got a sheet of 1mm zincalume cut to size, painted it with auto touch up paint and pop riveted to the roof. I used Selleys Butayl Mastic as a sealant. I inserted a Famia 280 Turbo vent into this patch. You need to make up a basic frame for this as minimum roof thickness needed to be 25mm. Just in the process of patching the headlinings with 3mm plywood and getting them recovered. I removed all the ex ambo vinyl.
As above I will post photos when I figure it out.
Fastcadjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:30 PM   #2
kayakkingoz

Default Re: Removing rear aircon from 2013 316 CDI

I was going to remove rear unit on my T1N but found that the roof unit was the only condenser which also worked with the dash AC . So that meant I would have had to put radiator mounted condenser in so as yet I have not gone down that path.
Mine also has only the 1 "engine mounted"compressor
As far as I can see the only holes are from the roof penetrations where the pipework & wiring plug go through & I am guessing, a few screw holes

Last edited by kayakkingoz; 07-02-2017 at 09:55 PM.
kayakkingoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #3
Eric Experience

Thanked 1,657 Times in 1,093 Posts

Gentlemen.
I recommend removing your roof mounted units. The dash system can be reinstated using components common to a lot of other vehicles so the cost is not prohibitive . The holes in the roof will be very different with the 2 different model vehicles but both fairly easy to repair the roof. The later models have the hole in about the centre of the rook which is a good place to put a vent. Eric.
Eric Experience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:24 AM   #4
Fastcadjack

Ok so its out, re gassed, roof repaired and vent in, roof linings out getting recovered.
Some photos of the gas pipe mods to reseal system, roof repair and vent and repair to roof lining.
Will post final look when I get the roof linings back in
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tig welded pipe fittings 1.JPG (110.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Tig welded pipe fittings 2.JPG (81.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Roof infill 1.JPG (94.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Roof infill 2.JPG (86.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg roof lining repair.JPG (110.1 KB, 48 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Fastcadjack For This Useful Post:
owner (07-04-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 11:57 AM   #5
HotWired

hi Jack
Did you draw power for the turbo vent from under the drivers seat of tap into somewhere
nearby. Colin
HotWired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:04 AM   #6
Fastcadjack

Gday hotwired
It's not hooked up yet. Iam going to install an auxiliary battery and switch panel and I intend to supply the fan from it along with some other lighting and other 12v devices.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fastcadjack For This Useful Post:
HotWired (07-14-2017)