NCV3 Oil Practical Information - Low SAP 5w-40 vs 0w-30

First.

Thanks goes to TRZ453 for what I feel is really good information to help owners make a decision as to what oil can be used. :thumbup::thumbup:

As always, the original post/thread can be accessed by clicking on the blue arrow icon within any quote box.

Derekelliot already said that he can't source the specified oil in Mexico and he's due for a change. So what's written in the manual is great for when he's back in the US, but it doesn't help for his current situation. Hence him being 'in a pinch' of sorts.

What one is left with, then, is seeing what kind of improvisation can be done. In this case, there's a quality synthetic CJ-4 rated oil available. We know that CJ-4 oils have higher SAPS (sulphur, ash, and phosphorus) levels than 228.51 oils, which in turn has higher levels than 229.51/229.31 oils. We also know that these SAPS additives are good for reducing soot and acid induced engine wear, but are not good for the DPF (diesel particle filter) that catches the soot in the exhaust, hence the reason why they try to make these additives low in the diesel engine oil in the first place.

The question then, is how much worse is it to use a synthetic CJ-4 oil than an MB 228.51/229.51 synthetic oil?

If you read all of the internet forums or if you go ask some dealership service advisor about what happens if you use a synthetic CJ-4 oil in a Sprinter instead of 228.51/229.51/etc, they are going to tell you that its going to have a detrimental effect on DPF life. This is true -- all engine oils contain compounds which will load up a DPF over time, some more than others.

If you ask them "ok, how much worse is it?" then there are either not going to know, or they're going to say "Just don't do it, its really, really bad!" because that's what they heard someone say or write somewhere else.

This information is free, and for good reason, because its hearsay. It is not backed up by actual data about how much the DPF life is shortened compared to using MB spec oils. If it was 80%, then that actually matters, but if its 2%, then its quite insignificant.

If one does a little bit of research about what constitutes CJ-4 oils, then this article from 2007 pops up quite high up on Google searches.

It discusses how much of an effect the SAPS content of oil has on DPF life for heavy duty on-the-road diesel trucks. At the time in 2007, the heavy duty diesel engine industry was making the transition from CI-4 (VERY HIGH SAPS) oils to CJ-4 (mid/low SAPS) oils, and the question was how bad was it for diesel engine operators to use the CI-4 in engines with the DPF.

The result was that real world data from big rig trucks showed that SAPS content had less effect on DPF life than the engineers had originally thought. Yes, the higher the SAPS content, the shorter the DPF life. But it isn't nearly as much as most people assume it is. Here's an interesting part of that article:

"I have not seen a single data point where people used CI-4 PLUS in a 2007 on-highway engine that actually failed the EPA requirement for 150,000 miles,” says Chao. “So its no big deal to use CI-4 PLUS oil and meet that limit.” Cummins has said it will allow highway engine customers the flexibility of using CJ-4 with a projected DPF cleanout at 200,000 to 400,000 miles or CI-4 with a DPF cleanout every 150,000 to 350,000 miles.
So there you have it. A DPF is going to last longer on oils that are lower in SAPS additives, but there are factors such as fuel quality, how much oil the engine burns in the first place, and driving conditions that have a greater effect on DPF life. Furthermore, the difference between CI-4 oils vs CJ-4 oils is greater than the difference between synthetic CJ-4 oils and synthetic 228.51/229.51 oils.

Note that I emphasized the importance of using a synthetic CJ-4 oil...I still would not use mineral or part-synthetic oil like Rotella or Delo 15w40/10w30 in a modern MB engine even though they are also CJ-4 rated, due to syns being less volatile and having fewer problems with coking turbos and keeping pistons clean. Synthetic oils are defintely the way to go in MBs. I also believe that when Derekelliot is back in the US, he should go back to using the MB spec oils for future oil changes. But there's no evidence that using Mobil TDT 5w40 is not the right choice for where he is right now.

My main concern would be that in Mexico, the fuel might not be ULSD (ultra low sulphur diesel), which is of course also not good for the life of the DPF. It is stated in the linked article that when one uses fuel that may have higher sulphur content, that one should shorten the oil change interval because the oil gets fouled more quickly with non-ULSD. Hence the recommendation I made to change the oil out for earlier (7500-8500) intervals than what Mercedes specifies.
From another thread.

229.52 has the same SAPS (sulphur, ash, phosphorus) limits as 229.51.

Lubrizol.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jSXYwXI.png

Only difference is 229.52 is slightly more resistant to oxidative thickening, and it is made thinner to net a small increase in mpg which people might notice for short trip driving (when the oil is still quite cold) or when driving fully unloaded. For those who do longer trips, mostly highway driving or driving a loaded vehicle then the fuel economy benefits are generally going to be statistically insignificant/not measurable. Mercedes is pushing the fuel-economy thing because they are getting more pressure to increase collective fuel economy and reduce emissions statistics. If they don't, they get fined by various government jurisdictions where MB vehicles are sold.

The drawbacks of a thinner oil with high-temperature-high-shear rating (HTHS) over 3.5 are that while the oil can protect against metal-to-metal wear just as well as a thicker oil due to film strength, the boundary layer of oil that separates the metal from contacting metal is thinner (the metal pieces still don't touch as they move against each other, but they are closer together).

This means that if there is any source of severe contamination in the oil such as larger soot particles or sand, and if these particles are larger than the boundary layer of oil, then the particles can grind at the metal and bearing surfaces, leading to higher rates of wear.

The main thing when using 30-weight oil is to hope that the air intake and filter doesn't develop a leak, that the oil never gets oversaturated with soot (very long oil change intervals may not be such a good idea) and that the oil filter never fails and the oil filter bypass valve doesn't get stuck open.

With a 40-weight oil, there was a greater tolerance for something going wrong with any form of oil contamination. With the 30-weight, this safety-net is reduced. How much? Who knows...but its there, no doubt about it.

Regarding oil used, if you have a choice, I would stick with the Valvoline 5w40 if the vehicle is driven fully loaded to keep that additional 'what if' safety factor of the thicker oil. If 0w30 is used, then I personally would be more reluctant to do oil changes over 10,000 miles, even though MB says the 2014 vehicles allow 14k and the 2015+ allow 20k intervals. YMMV.

In Germany, the vast majority of Sprinters are running 10w40 228.51 approved oils because they are a fraction of the cost of 229.51/31/52 oils, and Sprinters are serviced at commercial garages. So there's no long term real world data on the use of 0w30 oil in Sprinters, unfortunately.
:cheers: vic

Added from other oil threads:

You can support pretty much whatever you want to with internet searches.

Stephen's Service is on the thicker oil is needed end of the spectrum.

http://www.stephensservice.com/bluetec-diesel-issuesproblems/

The Blackstone article supports that thinner oil has some advantages.

View attachment 83411

The Stephen's advice might have me concerned if our MB Sprinter engines had many posts indicating similar problems. Because we don't see those posts I tend to discount the information as related to Sprinters. I have no clue as to other MB products.

The Blackstone information would now have me feeling better about using MB229.51 or MB229.52 Xw-30 weight oil in my NCV3 Sprinter. Prior to that article I was leaning toward the previously more common Xw-40 as being a better choice. Now I'd be less concerned.

For typical Sprinter use any and all approved for the service fluids should be equally effective regardless of brand label.

I am not an Amsoil dealer. I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

:2cents: vic

Good old Lubrizol for information again. This PDF explains some of the "Why's" of oil formulation.

View attachment 83741

Note that page 7 indicates MB229.3 spec oil uses ACEA base ratings with MB adding additional testing criteria (6 tests for MB229.3). I suspect that applies similarly to other MB specs. ACEA as base, + X additional MB specific parameters.

Clicking on the the blue arrow icon within any quote box will take you to the original post/thread.

Last edited:

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
So using 229.5 vs 229.51 would terminally clog the dpf slightly sooner (25% earlier in highway usage), but would protect the engine better. Its easier to replace a dpf than an engine. This info is useful for the 150hp om646 sprinter 315 timebomb drivers out there.

Trayscott

If Mercedes is anywhere near using metallurgy that the big three and the rest are it should be fine. They are running 0W20! So the 3.0 Liter v6 is a "Time Bomb". The guy that tuned mine said the block is bullet proof, the rest of the drive train is another story. In Jeeps they are bumping them to 250 horse with no issues. All my gas engines in my trucks called for 5w30 towing, hot or not and no call for synthetic although I have always used Mobil 1. I see little difference between 5 30 and 0W30.

Trayscott

Read the article and the commentary which is just that. I see little science in this! Opinion, sure and comparing apples to oranges yes! If I could find 229.51 sure I would run it but Mobil 1 is only 229.52 and on sale 6 bucks a quart. Probably will not go 10,000 on a change especially with some summer towing but at that price I can afford it!

Yes. The comments are opinion, but aren't many posts found on BITOG mostly opinion too?
... If I could find 229.51 sure I would run it but Mobil 1 is only 229.52 and on sale 6 bucks a quart. ...
I sounds like you are commited to the MB recommendations. If yes, then why ignore BEVO and limit the choices to Mobil products? BEVO tests/lists a bunch of MB229.51 brands in various viscosity. Some of the oils listed are even available in North America.

Valvoline and Amsoil come to mind for MB229.51 5w-40 viscosity.

:2cents: vic

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
Oh boy! Another oil thread .... With spider charts! ���������� What a way to start the mornin'!

Good job TRZ!!!!

The devil is in the details... The spider chart is really comparing two formulations of 229.51.... 2009 and 2012 vintages....& 229.52 (2012). What I see is incremental improvements in non-DPF/SCR related areas over a three year period in the area of fuel economy and oxidation thickening. The .51/2012 and .52/2012 appear to be identical in wear and superior to .51/2009.

All kind of obvious from the chart. Today's question would be ... Where do they stand against 229.53 5W30 in the same test? I would expect to see increased improvement in oxidation protection and economy based on "internet hearsay" and no degradation in other performance areas.

DANG! Android battery croaked in the middle of my thoughts...!!!

At the dealership level.... it is far easier to spin a story about 'protecting the DPF/SCR' that extolling the virtues of 'improved anti-oxidation potential' and 'better MPG.' Protecting $$$$$$ DPF/SCR/EGRs from potential damage resonates with owners. Not to say that isn't important but Sprinter buyers are not oil-geeks and Prii drivers. Truth is at the consumer/dealer levels folks don't know and don't don't want to know the pesky details.....

As someone stated before, fuel quality is probably much more important. That is one of my opinions. We have such exquisite control over the oil we choose and use and they are made to exacting standards. Diesel fuels? That is the big question mark. Other than sticking with a 'brand' name or particular station (which is not a direct measure of quality) we've got no clue as to the exact specification of that stuff we are putting in the tank other than it's ULSD (we fervently hope); that it has some Cetane value (exactly what we don't know); and, that it's not crapped up with water or other contaminants. Fuels probably make more difference in DPF life than the oil being used.

(AND SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME) Lots of facts on running good air filters and keeping the induction system dirt and FOD free. Good idea. I understand why lack of filtration can lead to increased wear in the piston rings and cylinders...... I'm not understanding how that 'crud' gets into the oil and lubrication system. Engines are 'closed' systems and do not .... like the ancient engines of the '50s have breather tubes and open crankcase ventilation systems. Help me understand how that happens. (The exception being contamination of the oil due to not being careful filling & checking the oil.)

Last edited:

(AND SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME) Lots of facts on running good air filters and keeping the induction system dirt and FOD free. Good idea. I understand why lack of filtration can lead to increased wear in the piston rings and cylinders...... I'm not understanding how that 'crud' gets into the oil and lubrication system. Engines are 'closed' systems and do not .... like the ancient engines of the '50s have breather tubes and open crankcase ventilation systems. Help me understand how that happens. (The exception being contamination of the oil due to not being careful filling & checking the oil.)
You kinda answered your own question. Dirty air = crud in the cylinders = increased wear = carry the crud down with blow-by = ugly deteriorating conditions. The dirty combustion air doesn't really get into the crankcase directly.

Just my basic understanding until someone comes up with a more detailed explanation.

Oh. Some good points/questions above by the way. :thumbup:

:cheers: vic

Added:
I recall reading in some MB literature that the OCI Oil Change Interval needs to be reduced if using other than ULSD Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel. Fuel quality is definitely a factor.

Last edited:

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
Contaminants in ring blowby can pollute the oil, that is why EGR-equipped engines turn oil black so fast, or why MB has concerns about biofuels getting into the oil during regens.

Old Crows

Contaminants in ring blowby can pollute the oil, that is why EGR-equipped engines turn oil black so fast, or why MB has concerns about biofuels getting into the oil during regens.
Yes, but how does "dirt" from the induction system get into the oil?

smiller

If that fine, would it not be passing the filter?
I dunno. An oil analysis report lists residual levels of silicon and such in the oil, and high levels can be indicative of filter failure so it seems that particles both above and below typical air filter cutoff size (around 5 microns) have the potential of getting past the rings.

I dunno. An oil analysis report lists residual levels of silicon and such in the oil, and high levels can be indicative of filter failure so it seems that particles both above and below typical air filter cutoff size (around 5 microns) have the potential of getting past the rings.
If my memory is correct the result of dirt is silica. Traces of silicon could be from silicon bronze bearings? :idunno:

vic

smiller

Silicon is just an element that makes up silica and I think that's how it's listed on oil reports. I suppose you could use either term but yeah, silica might be technically more correct.

Anyway, 'dirt'... :smilewink:

Last edited:

Old Crows

Its also in RTV sealants, gaskets & some anti-freeze. New engines may show a lot of silicone on oil analysis due to the sealants. Still having trouble visualizing how mass quantities of micron size dirt particles squeeze past a set of piston rings....

Its also in RTV sealants, gaskets & some anti-freeze. New engines may show a lot of silicone on oil analysis due to the sealants. Still having trouble visualizing how mass quantities of micron size dirt particles squeeze past a set of piston rings....
All piston rings have end gaps. The rings in the ring groove act as a spring against the cylinder wall. The gap is needed to allow for expansion and contraction of parts during the heat of operation. Even though the ring end openings are staggered to avoid a straight path, there is always a bit of blow-by even with good rings and cylinder walls. That blow-by can carry the fine particles with it.

Don't confuse silcon with silicone, they are different things.
That is true. Except they may show similarly in tests after going through the combustion process? :idunno:
Added: Wait. All silicone wouldn't come from the cylinders. Much would leach in with oil contact.... nevermind.

vic

Last edited:

smiller

That is true. Except they may show similarly in tests after going through the combustion process?
Yes, good point and apparently so. Following is the meaning of the 'silicon' reading in a Blackstone report:

Silicon: Airborne dirt, sealers, gaskets, sand-casted parts, spray lubricants, antifreeze inhibitor.

trz453

If we look at the intake system on all modern vehicles, it starts with an airbox with a paper filter that is trimmed with a rubber gasket. The air passes through this filter and is drawn out of the box through snorkel piping past various sensors and sometimes a turbo/intercooler (and for gassers a throttlebody) into a plenum that feeds air into each cylinder.

Each one of these parts between the airbox and the cylinder head (turbo/IC notwithstanding) is usually made from fiber-reinforced high-temp plastic or regular ABS plastic. Each junction has either an interference/friction fit or rubber/silicone gaskets, and makes use of spring or hose clamps or bolts, screws or snaps to keep the parts together.

This is where the potential problem lies. The intake system is usually designed well enough not to have a part slip off in normal use, but when vehicles get serviced either by techs or owners, there's a risk that a removed part doesn't get reinstalled carefully, or somebody with a screwdriver goes nuts on a hose clamp and overtightens the poor thing until the joint collapses, creating an open gap that allows unfiltered air to be drawn in.

Because most techs (Mercedes included) are expected to work for peanuts while the service advisor and dealership owner rake in the big bucks, there is incentive for technicians to take as many shortcuts as possible so that they can earn enough to feed their families (the S.A. and dealership owner are fully complicit in this exploitation). So if a tech needs to change something like a glow plug, injector or leaking valve cover gasket, and their instructions say that some intake-related parts should be removed, but the tech has small or flexible enough hands, then they very often will wing it and get the job done by just loosening a few bits and pushing the offending parts enough out of the way to gain access. Sometimes this can break the plastic parts or pulls them enough out of alignment to cause a junction to come loose, and if the tech and owner don't notice, then the vehicle goes back on the road with a leak in the intake system that otherwise doesn't cause any noticeable running problems.

When we drive our vehicles past construction sites or agricultural land, or behind other vehicles that kick up dirt and debris with their tires, this particulate matter has the potential to be drawn into the engine. If the filter is in place, then it should do a good job filtering the larger particles, but if there is a leak (as described above), then the abrasive particles make their way into the cylinders.

Once they're in the cylinders, most particles gets blown out the exhaust harmlessly, but some of the particles get stuck in the oil on the cylinder walls and get washed into the oil supply, and some of the particles join the blowby gases that slip past the rings into the crankcase. By then, the particles are in the oil, and its a question of filter efficiency how long they circulate doing damage. If the particles are small enough to not ever be picked up by the oil filter but are very numerous, then they can still cause wear on bearings and metal surfaces by their cumulative (stacked) diameters. When this happens, the only remedy is to replace the oil.

This is enough of a potential issue that whenever an oil analysis indicates an irregular spike in wear metals, the very first thing that the lab technician looks at as a culprit is silicates and insolubles. If either of these appear high, then the default recommendation is ALWAYS "check for intake leaks" and also immediately change the oil and filter if it hasn't been done yet, even if the oil otherwise checks out ok. Its also the reason why most owners manuals from different brands say that when a vehicle is frequently used in extremely dusty conditions, then it qualifies as 'severe service' and shorter oil/air filter and oil change intervals should be used.

Top Bottom