Sprinter as Student Trainer?

My oldest grand child will be 16 in October. Her birthday is October 4. When she was born we adopted the expression "10-4 and Out!!".

Realizing that she would be learning to drive soon I had the epiphany that Grandpa Vic should teach her to drive the Sprinter. I figure once she gets comfortable driving the Sprinter around town any other vehicle will seem like child's play to her.

When I announced my idea to her she took it rather well. Presently she is about 5 ft. nothin'. She may need a pillow on the driver seat, but I'm certain it will work out. We'll start the adventure in empty parking lots with traffic cones as some basic training tools.

My biggest challenge may be to find some empty parking lots. Back when we taught our kids there were still some places that were closed on weekends. It seems everything is open all the time anymore.

I'm not springing it on her yet, but part of the training will be to practice towing our 22 foot keelboat. Given her interest in sailboat racing that is a skill she may very well need.

If nothing else it will provide some quality bonding time.

:cheers: vic

D

Deleted member 50714

My oldest grand child will be 16 in October. Her birthday is October 4. When she was born we adopted the expression "10-4 and Out!!".

Realizing that she would be learning to drive soon I had the epiphany that Grandpa Vic should teach her to drive the Sprinter. I figure once she gets comfortable driving the Sprinter around town any other vehicle will seem like child's play to her.

When I announced my idea to her she took it rather well. Presently she is about 5 ft. nothin'. She may need a pillow on the driver seat, but I'm certain it will work out. We'll start the adventure in empty parking lots with traffic cones as some basic training tools.

My biggest challenge may be to find some empty parking lots. Back when we taught our kids there were still some places that were closed on weekends. It seems everything is open all the time anymore.

I'm not springing it on her yet, but part of the training will be to practice towing our 22 foot keelboat. Given her interest in sailboat racing that is a skill she may very well need.

If nothing else it will provide some quality bonding time.

:cheers: vic
Sounds like some Kodak...er...YouTube moments to save. I did something similar with my grandson. He can say the first car you ever drove was all an all electric Nissen Leaf

Last edited by a moderator:

Brad75

2013 NCV3
My mom taught my brothers and i how to drive in a cemetery ''easy roads and you cant hurt anybody cause they're already dead'' she though that was hilarious.

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
Started with go carts. Far younger, it didn't take long to learn basics

Here's Grandma filmed her California drivers test; possible idea how to place your Cones.

10-4 Out

Last edited:

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
My daughter is 5' nothing and drives a Sprinter everyday, no pillow, you can use a lever to elevate the seat, schools should be closed this time of year and give you plenty of training space. We always used the school a mile up the road from us for training.

pfflyer

May your Granddaughter remember and cherish Grandpa teaching her to drive for as long as she lives.

richard cabesa

My dad taught me in a ‘61 International dump. Clutch and shifter throws were a good foot or more. Wouldn’t go over 55 mph and had stopping distances about like an oil tanker. Steering was about the same as you had to take a wild azz guess how many times to spin the wheel to make it point in some direction under your ‘control’.

Point being, your granddaughter will do fine in a Sprinter

p.s. the dump bed was a hit for stadium seating at the $3.00 a car load night at the drive-in. May I suggest NOT letting her use the van for that

Top Bottom