bones

bones43a

Hi new to this forum. I have 2003 413 sprinter with intermittent not starting. by the time I get meter out to test voltages it starts :frown:. any ideas on where to start looking
thanks in advance

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
There are usually 3 main causes:

1. Does it not start only when hot? then when it cools down a bit it starts just fine? that would be caused by the cam or crank sensor beginning to fail. A blast of freeze spray on the sensor would confirm it.

2. It could also be caused by an injector leaking-off too much. Cold diesel is denser so the leak-off is less when cold, more when hot, so for an injector thats right on the edge of serviceability it will fail like that at first.

3. Does it do it only when it has sat for a while, and/or maybe sat at a certain angle. That would be caused by a fuel leak allowing bubbles to enter the fuel lines.

Other than those you would need to get the codes read. The cam and crank are the only ones that will store codes out of those 3 causes. But there may be other causes.

Eric Experience

Bones.
I gather you are just beginning the Sprinter experience. One of the very first things to learn is to look for air bubbles in the fuel line from the fuel filter to the low pressure pump. If you find bubbles examine the hose clamps on the filter, if you find worm drive clips replace them with the correct type of clamps. Reading codes may not help in your case. Eric.

bones43a

Hi all thanks for speedy replies. The starter motor is not engaging, it happens first thing in the morning. turn key to start and then nothing. get NRMA out and it starts first time very embarrassing

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Have the battery load tested. Then check the wiring etc for the battery, ground straps (both of them) etc. Do you get a start error message on the dash? Does the electric radiator fan run when this happens? Usually these problems are battery or battery wiring related, but there are a few other causes.

How many kms on the van? Sometimes the solenoid contacts in the starter give out.

jaahn

Hi all thanks for speedy replies. The starter motor is not engaging, it happens first thing in the morning. turn key to start and then nothing. get NRMA out and it starts first time very embarrassing
Hi bones :smilewink:
Sounds like a classic case of the solenoid contacts burnt from usage.
Easy solution buy a new one or get it reconditioned. Most lead connection problems do not come and go nor does a bad battery. However I am sure the NRMA would have had a quick look at them.
Note it is not possible to say more from my computer keyboard as testing the ideas is actually required to see the fault in action.:thinking:
Jaahn

bones43a

No error messages in display, earth links seem tight at engine mount and chassis, battery is only couple months old , has 155000k on it, of course now that I am looking into starting fault it starts every time

bones43a

Finally found the problem. starter motor solenoid, fitted new starter motor and all is good.
thanks for all your advise:thumbup:

Top Bottom