Crankshaft CKP Camshaft CMP Sensor Gen Info

Crank shaft position sensor Cam shaft position sensor CPS

Some general information links to posts/threads.

Be aware that there is a power reduction response available to the computer when cam shaft position sensor CMP problems are noticed.

The CMP is only 100% required for starting. Once started it can be intermittent and not cause shutdown. That is as opposed to the crankshaft position sensor CKP. The CKP is also required for starting, but even once started an intermittent failure will cause a right now shutdown.

:2cents: vic

The crankshaft position sensor CKP is necessary to run. Loss of that signal will trigger a right now shutdown. Reports are that CKP problems don't always set a DTC.

vic

Note here that Engine Speed CKP shows as ECM inputs, but not CMP.
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=217317#post217317

Some additional info. [Includes Training Manual Descriptions.]
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=152771#post152771

:cheers: vic
Reports are that watching the tachometer during cranking gives an indication that the crankshaft CKP is working. Watching the cranking speed with even a generic OBDII scan tool would be another indicator.

Using a multimeter might provide some sort of gross test for the CKP and CMP, but I doubt it will be good enough for more than pass/fail.

I don't know if lower end Sprinter specific scan tools can access the CMP signal. I suspect that the higher end scan tools have that capability with live data.

The CMP only monitors the cylinder #1 position/condition.

vic

Added:
Apparently there are differences as to scan capability OM612 vs OM647.

Was able to spend more time with the 2002 van and the DRBIII tonight. Re-ran the compression test and it came back 0,0,0,0,248 for the cylinder RPMs, so that was wacky right there to start with.

Looked for the crank/cam sensor agreement test, and it wasn't there! It must be that the 2002 ECU and the 2004 ECU interact with the DRBIII differently. The DRBIII displays different menu items, and different tests between the 2 vans. I couldn't find anything that looked at the camshaft sensor for the 2002.

Went to the sensor monitor screen which displays the live data from various sensors. Cranking the engine, the rail pressure went up to 3600 - 3800 PSI and the RPMS displayed 35. That's it. 35 RPM. The engine was definitely turning over at a good, normal cranking clip.

The crank sensor is a new NAPA part (obviously wasn't starting with the old MB one either). Is there anything else that it uses to get RPM speed, like coupling with the camshaft sensor or something?

This DRBIII doesn't have the lab scope to check the signal patterns like it says in the manual, or at least I don't see any cables that would do something like that. So, how else do you narrow down a engine speed reporting problem like that?

Top Bottom