Compressor regrigerators?

Hosh

Navion 2018 24J
Hum,

So you don’t use propane for heating, generator?

Sleeping at 30* off level seems a bit awkward, most Mickey D parking lots are pretty flat.

I can make 3 trays of ice overnight, store in zip lock and they remain as individual cubes.

Spending thousands of dollars on extra solar, battery capacity so you can be untethered from an electrical outlet seems silly.

I love watching the RV shows where someone opens a three way fridge door and says “ a turkey won’t fit in here”

IMO, 3-way provides a very flexible, reliable appliance. Fortunately, we don’t have to camp in areas with very high humidity and extreme heat index’s.

Winterbagoal

2018 Winnebago Navion 24V on a 2017 Cab Chassis
I picked my Isotherm Compressor Refrigerator/Freezer because I never use propane and it runs on 12vdc or 120vAC and switches to which ever one is available automatically. I doesn't need to be very level, it can operate at up to 30 degree angle or off level. My drive way is sloped so now I can run the Refrigerator overnight in my driveway to get cold before a trip. Plus when I stop for breaks on the road I don't have to worry about finding a level parking place. My old Dometic had a max draw of 14.2 amps on battery and never ran as well on battery as it did on 120vac. The new Isotherm is only 7 amps, so now I don't have to worry about my batteries drawing down fast. Plus it runs equally well on battery as it does on shore power. I can actually turn my batteries off for a few hours, (4-6 hours) if needed, and this Isotherm Refrigerator is insulated so well the ice doesn't even start to melt. When using the Dometic you had to quickly open the door get your food out and shut it or to much cold air would escape and the the inside temp would be at 44 degrees or more and it would take over a hour to cool down again. So I was always stressed out about getting in and out quickly. The interior temperature would swing quite a bit and I would always have to remember to move the setting down at bed time or the Refrigerator section would freeze down overnight. When the outside temperature is more than 90 degrees it's hard to maintain the interior temperature at less than 40 degrees ( the maximum safe food temperature). With outside temps above 90 degrees and the sunshinng directly on the exterior Refrigerator wall the Refrigerator temps might go to 50 degrees. I always had to carry 3 large ice bottles that I could add to the Refrigerator to help it deal with high summer temperatures. I never had any room in the freezer for real food since I need to keep these frozen water bottles. Isotherm is just like your Refrigerator at home you put it on one setting and forget it. You use it just like the one at home, stress free! I have the setting at about 3 1/4 of the 7 temp settings (7 being the coldest) and it keeps the freezer in the negative digits and the Refrigerator at an average temp interior of 35-38 degrees, and no higher than 40 degrees on the door trays (typically the warmest part of the Refrigerator). So no more worries about food poisoning! Plus I can now use the freezer for real food and ice cubes. The ice cubes are never a melted blob of ice that you have to break up to find cubes from. I have an ice bucket with lots of free moving ice cubes, just like at home!
My Norcold runs and handles pretty much the same. I can turn it on an hour before we head out for groceries requiring refrigeration, and it's usually ready to go by the time we bring the shopping cart out to the Navion. My 300W solar compensates for any battery draw during daylight, and eliminates the need for plugging in to shore power, and the batteries seem to be able to handle the overnight draw which appears to be minimal, as I rarely hear the compressor running once the fridge/freezer have cooled down. If I can keep the inside of the coach cool, that helps as well, and I don't have to go get propane for it, although the absorption fridges I've had didn't use all that much when running on gas. Mine is only 7cuft but that seems to be more than enough for us. It cools everything we need it to cool.

Gamma1966

2013 Chassis /14 Unity MB
SSTraveler - I just re-read your posting on the installation of your new Compressor base refrigerator in the Unity. I now understand that you closed off the two exhaust windows, LTV put in place on the outside wall where the Dometic refrigerator was installed. You now have the exhaust air from the refrigerator evaporator coils flowing out into the interior of the RV. You are then relying on the AC cooling of the interior of the RV to exchange the hot exhaust of the compressor refrigerator to the outside of the RV. Very nice design choice, since you indicated your rarely if ever boon dock. Since I do both shore power and boon docking, your installation approach will not work for me; when I am boon docking. I also now understand why you are able to set the thermostat of the refrigerator to # 3 or # 4 and maintain the kinds of freezer and "ice box" compartments; when the outside air is over 100 Deg F!

If you can find the information on the "Compressor Controller - Model # - Mfg. etc. " I would appreciate the data. I assume your refrigerator use a Defross Compressor, and like the NovaKool uses a SECOMP Controller for managing the compressor operations.

Last edited:

TJLee089

2013 Itasca Reyo 25R
Especially if you don't have solar because you have no desire to camp in the sun in hot weather to support the fridge and/or batteries.

Full disclosure: compressor fridges cool much better than absorption units (which I have).

Still, I prefer to accept the shortcomings of a 3 way and enjoy the advantages.
Then there is the cost/aggravation of conversion.

:tongue: You get to read all these fun posts about the problems in making them work for boondocking:lol:

billbo

If you can find the information on the "Compressor Controller - Model # - Mfg. etc. " I would appreciate the data. I assume your refrigerator use a Defross Compressor, and like the NovaKool uses a SECOMP Controller for managing the compressor operations.
The Indel Webasto Cruise 195 uses two compressors:
Silent, high efficient, fan cooled 12/24V Danfoss / Secop compressor (type BD35F X 2)

Did not check the other model but I would be looking at the 195 for our View.

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
SSTraveler - I just re-read your posting on the installation of your new Compressor base refrigerator in the Unity. I now understand that you closed off the two exhaust windows, LTV put in place on the outside wall where the Dometic refrigerator was installed. You now have the exhaust air from the refrigerator evaporator coils flowing out into the interior of the RV. You are then relying on the AC cooling of the interior of the RV to exchange the hot exhaust of the compressor refrigerator to the outside of the RV. Very nice design choice, since you indicated your rarely if ever boon dock. Since I do both shore power and boon docking, your installation approach will not work for me; when I am boon docking. I also now understand why you are able to set the thermostat of the refrigerator to # 3 or # 4 and maintain the kinds of freezer and "ice box" compartments; when the outside air is over 100 Deg F!

I don't know why just using interior coach air wouldn't work for boon dockers as well. The key point is that interior temperatures should be lower than exterior temperatures, especially when the sun is shining directly on the Refrigerator exterior wall. With all your batteries and solar I'm guessing you maintain an interior temp of less than 85 degrees. Much better than the actual outside temps. The compressor Refrigerator exhausts at a temp of around 90 degrees so circulating interior cooler air, of less than 85 degrees, over the back of the Refrigerator is still better than just pulling the 90+ hot outside air around the back. My Isotherm has a 120mm fan at the compressor that kicks on when the compressor kicks on to exhaust the compressor heat. It then turns off when the compressor turns off. When I remodeled and took in the exterior space, to be interior space now, it gave me about a 4" space running from the top of the microwave/Refrigerator cabinet to the floor. So I added another 120mm fan to the microwave shelf to pull air out of this back space and to add circulation for the microwave operation. Now that I am using the Refrigerator I can feel that it's fan has enough CFM to exhaust the space so I am going to add a switch to my extra fan so I can switch it on as I feel is needed, particularly if I am going to operate the microwave for longer than a couple of minutes. I'm not sure about the compressor information you are referring to but Isotherm does make a couple of smart controller for boon docking use. I got my Isotherm from Defender Marine and the site has a lot of information on the Refrigerator and controllers, https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|2276179|2276204|2276226|2276235&id=1770690, https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|2276179|2276204|2276226|2276232&id=2407016, or https://www.defender.com/product3.j...-1|2276179|2276204|2276226|2276232&id=4161337. I called them to answer some questions and they have great support and actually called the supplier when they couldn't answer my questions. I also called and talked with the US service representative, https://www.indelwebastomarine.com/us/contact-dealer-list/, in Florida after I installed my Refrigerator to answer some questions. This is essentially a frost free Refrigerator because if ice does form on the back wall I just lower the setting and it melts quickly and the water runs down the drain. I found this out by trial and error to come to my final temp setting.

According to my research, the Isotherm 219 Current Draw on 12vdc is:
Compressor (Danfoss) running: 6.0 Amp @ 12 Volt DC (however the manual states a maximum of 7 amps).
Average: 2.3 - 2.5 Amp @ 12 Volt DC (Average draw measured at 43°F in refrigerator, 72°F ambient temperature). When ever I look at my battery monitor I see numbers of 1.5-5amps but that is everything I have on battery and in 95+ outside temps. My solar easily handles when I stop for periods. I also found I can just switch the batteries off for 4-6 hours with no major temp changes. I discovered how well insulated the Isotherm was when I took my rig to Equalizer for the Leveler install. I had left the main house battery switch on when I dropped it off at 7 am, but when I got back to my campsite at 4pm and was setting up again I realized that Equalizer had turned the disconnect off for the installation. I opened the freezer to see how hot it might be and the ice bucket of ice cubes were barely melted. I then checked the Refrigerator and it maybe heated up by 4 degrees, but was still reading 42 degrees at the door. I was very pleased to discover that I can actually just turn the batteries of if needed.

Here are the links to the Isotherm site as well, https://www.indelwebastomarine.com/...-fridges-165-320-l/cruise-219-upright-silver/, https://www.indelwebastomarine.com/us/products/cooling-technology/isotherm-smart-energy-control/ and https://www.indelwebastomarine.com/us/products/cooling-technology/isotherm-smart-energy-control/. Also,they have informative downloads .

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
The Indel Webasto Cruise 195 uses two compressors:
Silent, high efficient, fan cooled 12/24V Danfoss / Secop compressor (type BD35F X 2)

Did not check the other model but I would be looking at the 195 for our View.
The Isotherm 195 is heavier (130lbs for black version and 133lbs for SST) than the Dometic 2 door 8555 (99 lbs). While it is the closest size match I wanted a larger Refrigerator and a lighter plain microwave vs the hotpoint convection oven/microwave (55 lbs). So I picked the larger and lighter Isotherm 219 (7.73 cuft, single compressor, 75 lbs) and a 0.9 cu ft/900watt Toshiba microwave 28lbs) and remodeled my whole refrigerator/Convection oven/microwave cabinet. I like that I reduced the overall weight by 52lbs and got exactly what I wanted, reliable efficent Refrigerator and Microwave!

Attachments

Last edited:

dkgalson

2018 Winnebago View 24J
I have a 2018 24J, which has a compressor refrigerator.It runs a lot. way over 60% of the time - especially during hot days. I added a rigid 175 Watt solar panel to the existing (2) inefficient 100 Watt flexible panels and upgraded my (2) Group 24 Lead acid batteries to (2) Group 31 AGMs. With no TV usage but plenty of camera and laptop battery charging, I can run indefinitely on solar alone without the generator. I travel in the western states and regularly boondock for days at a time without driving anywhere. I can also run both exhaust fans 24-7 without running my batteries below 75%. I do NOT use the A/C or run DVD players or TV's.

Been in a non electric spot for 21 days here in the Tetons, only had to run the generator once due to overcast. Our solar/lithium/compressor fridge setup has been working like a charm.

There are virtually NO electric spots available anywhere. The "first come" non electric spaces are very plentiful and cheap.

The Isotherm 195 is heavier (130lbs for black version and 133lbs for SST) than the Dometic 2 door 8555 (99 lbs). While it is the closest size match I wanted a larger Refrigerator and a lighter plain microwave vs the hotpoint convection oven/microwave (55 lbs). So I picked the larger and lighter Isotherm 219 (7.73 cuft, single compressor, 75 lbs) and a 0.9 cu ft/900watt Toshiba microwave 28lbs) and remodeled my whole refrigerator/Convection oven/microwave cabinet. I like that I reduced the overall weight by 52lbs and got exactly what I wanted, reliable efficent Refrigerator and Microwave!
Love your setup!!!

Hosh

Navion 2018 24J
Been in a non electric spot for 21 days here in the Tetons, only had to run the generator once due to overcast. Our solar/lithium/compressor fridge setup has been working like a charm.

There are virtually NO electric spots available anywhere. The "first come" non electric spaces are very plentiful and cheap.
Did you drive the MH during 21 day stint?

richard cabesa

Ill chime in here now as my LP replacement is now a little more than a month old.

I went with a Nova Kool 9000 at 9.2 cu ft bottom freezer.

Battery bank is 3-Battle Born LiPo4 100 amp hr in parallel

Solar is 4- HQST 100 watt panels wired 2S-2P

The refer is loaded with some water bottles for testing and the RV sits in the driveway mostly closed up with the refer side facing the hot afternoon sun.

Fridge uses about 10% of the battery capacity overnight and the solar recharges and powers it during the day

The only thing i'm not happy with is the solar harvest from the panels I used. I'm looking into that.

Otherwise, i'm thrilled that I can run the fridge continuous without plugging in or using LP

Hosh

Navion 2018 24J
Cool, now I get it. You can spend $5-6K and your ice cubes don’t stick together, sleep at 25* angle and keep a turkey cold!

Sweet!

Cool, now I get it. You can spend $5-6K and your ice cubes don’t stick together, sleep at 25* angle and keep a turkey cold!

Sweet!
You don’t seem OK to me. Are you naturally this negative and disagreeable or are you having problems in your life that make you this way? Whatever it is I feel sorry for you and honestly do hope you figure it out.

Hosh

Navion 2018 24J
Nope, I just find it interesting that some people will go to extremes to find solutions to problems that don’t exist. If your happy, great, you’ve obviously mastered the process and will go to any convoluted level of logic to justify your investment. May your ice always be clear and your LP gauge registering full.

TJLee089

2013 Itasca Reyo 25R
The way I see it (not that any one cares) is that if you can avoid the cost of a generator and invest the savings in Lipos and solar, it makes sense. But to invest thousands just to have a compressor fridge AND avoid using the generator (that you've already paid for) doesn't. When I get down to 50% SOC (after 3-4 days, 220ah AGMs), one hour of generator gets me another day, with a 3-way fridge, which admittedly does have its challenges, although not enough to spend thousands.

And I can camp in the shade in hot weather.

Sweet!

richard cabesa

Nope, I just find it interesting that some people will go to extremes to find solutions to problems that don’t exist. If your happy, great, you’ve obviously mastered the process and will go to any convoluted level of logic to justify your investment. May your ice always be clear and your LP gauge registering full.

Cool. I'll think about this on thanksgiving day over 100 miles from the nearest grocery or fuel. We'll be there two weeks or so. There is no power but lots of sun. There is potable water. There is a wonderful warm spring.

That turkey is going to be gooooooood

And I won't be listening to so subjecting my neighbors to a fricken generator

Top Bottom